Aerius i vs SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakham

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been bitten with upgrade-itis :). My setup is in a 15x20 x 8 room. I use the room for both music and HT.

I was thinking of upgrading my Aerius i set. I don't think I can fit something huge like the CLS/Request line even though I'd like to.

I was thinking of getting either the SL3 (or maybe Ascent if I can find it locally). My question is will it be worth it or should I spend my money elsewhere?

OR should I just wait and pick up a set of Vantage/Spire/Odyssey in a year or so?

These are being powered by a Sunfire Signature.

well your ears should make that choice but as a 'Spire' owner and since you asked for opinions........save your pennies !! ....

Hola...to my ears, the SL-3 is the one to buy, if you can find it. It uses the same panel as the Ascent or the Sequel. Bigger panel, 10" woofer and very nice input sensitivity. The Aerius is a well balance sounding from bass to top, but the SL-3 is more transparent and better inner detail. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I used to have Aerius i's and went to Odyssey's which was a huge improvement soundwise, even though the Aerius i's are an excellent speaker.

If, I were you, I would go for either Ascent i's or the Odyssey's. Ascent i's have the same panel as the Odyssey's. I much prefer the Odyssey's over Vantages. Ascents are showing up quite regularly on audigon. The Oddysey model rarely appears on agon.
Happy listening and keep us posted.
Chers, Greg

I'll echo Dave and MOON's comments. If you are going to make the change --> go with the Spire, Ascent i, or Vantage.

I think there will be a nice difference from the Aerius i to the SL3, but you'll be even more impressed if you can land the Ascent i speakers (or Odyssey, or Vantage, or Spire). I'm simply stating that if you are going to go through the hassle of auditioning new gear and whatnot, make sure the different is indeed substantial.

Erik

My first ML's were Sl-3's. I compared them to the Aerius and Request at the time. The Sl-3 bass goes lower than the Aerius and the lower midrange sounds better because the crossover is lower in frequency (more like the Summits).

I've never heard an SL3 sound as well integrated and balanced as the smaller Aerius or Aerius-i. Lots of factors, must admit the SL3 is a larger sound/image and goes deeper, but it felt like it was bits and pieces, somewhat disjunct.

Hold out another year and go for the bigger upgrade.

Thanks for all the feedback guys :bowdown:.

You may laugh, but I'm not one to audition stuff really, mainly because I'm not enough of an audiophile to really be a good judge. My ears aren't that good in that way. I kind of need to be told what's good, then I'll look around for a good deal.

So what I'm hearing is:
- SL3 a bit better than Aerius i, but not enough of an upgrade.
- Best to go with Ascent-i/Odyssey, Vantage, or Spire.

What about the Ascent instead of the Ascent i? Is there a big diff?

Quote from Shakham

"You may laugh, but I'm not one to audition stuff really, mainly because I'm not enough of an audiophile to really be a good judge. My ears aren't that good in that way. I kind of need to be told what's good, then I'll look around for a good deal."

I don't mean for this to be an insult in any way but if you can't tell the difference in speakers then save your money or use it for something else.

There is nothing wrong with being happy with any speaker that someone else might not want to live with.

Think about it before you spend money needlessly.

I don't mean for this to be an insult in any way but if you can't tell the difference in speakers then save your money or use it for something else.

There is nothing wrong with being happy with any speaker that someone else might not want to live with.

Think about it before you spend money needlessly.

No insult taken. I see what you are saying...I'm the one that needs to like it at the end of the day, and it doesn't matter if it's popular or not.

What I wrote didn't come out right.....

Of course I can tell a difference, but liking some of the difference is very subjective, especially when it very subtle.

Right now I feel the Aerius i sound pretty good...the highs are a bit sharp sometimes, based on what I read, using the current source on the Sunfire should help. The lows are not low enough, so the sub compensates for it.

I'm looking for something that:
a) widens the sweet spot. I'm thinking a bigger panel should help.
b) makes the sweet spot vertically longer so you can hear it standing up and sitting down. Again taller panel.
c) better low end. Bigger woofer in the speaker.

I'm looking for something that:
a) widens the sweet spot. I'm thinking a bigger panel should help.
b) makes the sweet spot vertically longer so you can hear it standing up and sitting down. Again taller panel.
c) better low end. Bigger woofer in the speaker.
Please post photos of your system and room layout. The reason for the request is that you may be able to address most of your concerns with acoustic treatments and or changes in layout.

As you know already know M/L speakers are renown for having narrow a sweet spot.

Try playing with speaker angle for the vertical phase shift issue.

Latest posts

Back