Please explain sub with clszii and set up

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htrattner

Reaction score
can someone out there in M L land explain in plain english what a good sub (fast ) would be to go with the cslzii in a 12x12 room.how to set them up and would i need an additional amp if I have only a 2channel amp(ps my jolida tube monos 200wtt/ch are soon to be here ) do I get one big or 2 small ... pictures to would be helpful.and how to hook them up , sorry never used them and was thinking about it .... thanks ,Harry so.ca:rocker::music:

can someone out there in M L land explain in plain english what a good sub (fast ) would be to go with the cslzii in a 12x12 room.how to set them up and would i need an additional amp if I have only a 2channel amp(ps my jolida tube monos 200wtt/ch are soon to be here ) do I get one big or 2 small ... pictures to would be helpful.and how to hook them up , sorry never used them and was thinking about it .... thanks ,Harry so.ca:rocker::music:

i would use one of the ML subs. i have a depth and it worked well in my 17x12 room.

there are a number of hookup methods for the depth. you can go from the preamp to the depth and then to the speakers. or you can go from the speaker connections on the CLS to the depth.

in the first you are using the hi-pass filter in the depth and the bass never gets to the CLS. do this if you think that the CLS should not handle the lower freqs at all.

in the second, the depth gets the same signal as does the CLS, but helps the depth helps fill out the bottom end.

you could also get an electronic crossover and use it to split off the bottom end and send it to the depth.

In that small of a room you might not need a sub...

I bet even a Grotto i would work fine in that room if you even need one. I'd suggest trying without first. A square room will probably have some bass issues as it is.

Harry, you can go to the ML site and locate the subs. Pick one and it will give you the option of downloading the manual.
You can look through it for connection options and illustrations.

I have 2 Depth i subs with my IIz's and thought the set up was quite easy. I run mine with the speaker cable connection just like the CLS's.

I agree with you, 2 subs...

When I first built my room, I experimented with a single Depth, then with a single Descent, and I ultimately chose to go with two Depths.

The use of two subs really cleans up imaging and integrates better with the CLS'.

Other fast subwoofers that can keep up with the CLS's are the REL Stentor 3 or Studio 2.

Except our person has a 12 x 12 room....

Seriously, I'd try the CLS as is, and get some bass traps first, then see what works for subs.

If you have a dealer or anywhere you can get Tannon, try a pair of TS8's. They are very fast and because they are so small 12 x 12 inches, you can easily move them in your room.

What usually happens in a room this small is that you get so much bass bouncing around the room there's a lot of upper bass cancellation and the system sounds thin, even though you have two subwoofers.

Here's the speakers I'd use in a 12 x 12 room:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/62255/Harbeth_Speakers-P3ESR_Speakers-Speakers

Back