Carver Amazings Vs Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tah800

Reaction score
I'm beginning to see the original Summits moving downward pricewise into something I may be able to afford. I've actually seen prices of $4500. At present I have my Amazings for my front speakers and the Theater i and Scripts for my center and rear speakers. I still think the Amazings are an unbelieveable speaker but have entertained the idea of having an all Logan system. I'm having a bit of a problem setting everthing right because the Carvers are a lot less efficient and take a lot of power to get them working properly especially at the base end. According to my processor instructions I'm supposed to set all the speakers the same. When I turn up the volume enough to get the Logans at a pleasing volume the Amazings are too low and the reverse is true if I bring the volume up enough to get the Carvers cooking.Do you Logan owners believe that the Summits would be that far ahead of the Carvers. You would think at the full retail of 10 grand vs $2400 that they woukd be. Could you possibly get the bass put out by 8 12" woofers on the Carvers VS the 4 woofers of the Summit?????. It would kill me to fork over five grand and find out the Summits were equal to or only sightly better than my Carvers. I have an extra set of DIY Carvers I bought for $500 and for about another $500 can get them modified and really working well. Realizing you guys are big Logan fans do you think if I'll be getting a $4000 dollar improvement here.

For the money differance,I would keep the Carvers.The Summits will image much better than the Carvers.However,the Carver's soundstage will be much larger.The Carvers are a much more laid back speaker than the Summits.You may not even prefer the sound of your amps with the Summits.The Summits bass will be tighter but will not go as low or play as loud.You are talking two completely differant sounding speakers.I have owned the Amazings,AL-III and AL-III Plus,and the Silvers.I was very happy with the Amazings and AL-III Plus speakers.I have owned both ML CLS and Monolith II speakers and heard many others.I will assure you that they are completely differant in their presentations.My personal tastes prefer the Logans.Good luck.

This is somewhat apples and oranges. You will never get the bass from four 10's that you get from eight 12's. The down side, as you have seen, is it takes a lot of power to push that many 12's. I would say your Amazings are more dynamic and produce higher spl's with a lot of impact. The Summits offer more efficiency, greater detail and speed. You have to determine what you want.

I've run Altec A7's and Bassmaxx B1 horn subs with 18" McCauley 6174 woofers. A total in your face Imax type experience that would vibrate your body. I've run Martin Logan CLS with the same subs and with DIY 18's. I've run dual Carver subs and now run a single M&K 12" sub. I prefer the detail and speed. They can play out and the sub can rattle the walls. The best of both worlds.

I had Amazing Silvers for several years and put them head to head against my Summits before finally selling them for a song. The Summits were significantly clearer and provided a more intoxicatingly holographic (nods to Bob Carver!) soundstage. I also own a Descent i, so I can't imagine wanting any more bass than I have.

Is there any way you can work it out to compare the speakers directly? (Duh. I'm sure you've already eliminated that possibility. :rolleyes:) I understand what you are facing. I already knew that I'd love the Summits before I bought them, but I didn't have that much invested in the Silvers anyway. It can be awfully hard to upgrade in the dark.

Carver Amazings VS Summits

Thousand of miles seperate me from any Summit auditions. I'm not sure any Canadian dealers would have any. Even so Ontario or British Columbia would be the only places to have them. I'm about 1500 miles from Ontario and 3000 miles from B.C.not your average weekend roadtrip. The closest American State to me is Maine and they would be worse than Canada. If you told anyone in my neck of the woods you were looking at 10 grand speakers they would try to have you commited. Art

If you told anyone in my neck of the woods you were looking at 10 grand speakers they would try to have you commited. Art

That's true a lot of places. No one in my family or in my neighborhood or at my place of employment (etc.) has equipment costing one-tenth what my system cost, and it is modest by comparison to the really high-end stuff. There was a thread here some time ago on this topic. Few people appeared to know more than one or two other audiophiles (that is, other than through places like this website). I have one friend with a halfway decent stereo, and he lives more than two thousand miles away. 'Not a large fraternity.

Back