My juices are flowin' !!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Can I be the only winter / snowmobile enthusiast on this board ?? Oh well.....just in case you wonder what it's like..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_r61HzTngA

Sleds and trl are all ready and waiting, I just need mother nature to cooperate !

The last time it snowed in San Antonio was 1985. Not to many snowmobiles around here. Although my buddy from Buffalo did send me a snowblower for Christmas last year.

Dave, I could not help but think about you when last weekend I saw a bunch of rednecks on ATVs out for a ride in the woods. I figured (correctly, it seems) that you would be itching (twitching?) to get out on your snowmobile.

The forecast for tomorrow here is 20-25 cm of the horrible white stuff. That's 8-10 cm for the metrically-challenged. Glad I no longer have to shovel the stuff !

The last time it snowed in San Antonio was 1985. Not to many snowmobiles around here. Although my buddy from Buffalo did send me a snowblower for Christmas last year.
"San Antonio" always brings back memories of the wonderful Christmas Pageant on the Riverwalk; it was truly magical. My wife and I were there 10 years and swore to return soon after; unfortunately we have not done so.

it was 4 degrees this morning when i left for work and we have had about 6-10" on the ground for a few days now. i love winter though, no complaints here.

Dave, I could not help but think about you when last weekend I saw a bunch of rednecks on ATVs out for a ride in the woods. I figured (correctly, it seems) that you would be itching (twitching?) to get out on your snowmobile.

Now Bernard, not all of us 'sledheads' are rednecks. Let the record show that I own one of your Countrys sleds....a Ski-Doo 'Renegade' and you will be happy to know it actually has a 'break-in' feature (when new) for the first 6-10 hrs whereby timing is retarded(thank the Lord not 500 hrs....:devil:)

The forecast for tomorrow here is 20-25 cm of the horrible white stuff. That's 8-10 cm for the metrically-challenged. Glad I no longer have to shovel the stuff !

Not fair you guys have all the fun !!

Dave,

I doubt that you are the only one on the board who is a snowmobile addict....but I could be wrong.:D

I just moved all the snowmobiles into the main barn last weekend in preparation of some white stuff. They are all charged up and ready to go.

Unfortunately this particular storm is going to miss us by about a 100 miles.

Hopefully, we will see at least a normal amount of the white stuff this winter, but the problem with mother nature is she can be fickle.

Others might not understand, but there are not many things that are more depressing than a long winter without any snow.:mad:

Others might not understand, but there are not many things that are more depressing than a long winter without any snow.:mad:

JM, I couldn't agree more !

where do you ride ? locally ?? ....do you trl up to the UP of Mich ??

what kind of sleds are you running ?

Dave,

I rented sleds at Keystone Resort in Colorado more than 10 years ago and went up in the mountains for a couple of days and after that sled trek, I was hooked.

I own and live on a very cool piece of property that is well over 300 acres. So I ride here and so far have never taken the sleds off the property. The property is 75% wooded with dozens of trails and some open fields that have a dirt track that is 1.5 miles long that in the summer is used for Go Kart racing and in the winter sleds.

At one end of the field/track there is a 600 foot long 45 degree embankment that is about 15 feet high. So you can approach the embankment at between 60 and 80 miles an hour or more and then climb the wall through the 600 foot turn before you shoot back down toward the esses that dip and rise before turning for the main riding arena, which of course you want to miss, along with the horse fence that runs up to it and then turn around the barn to the long straight away that has a dual track, one with a jump and one that is just flat out straigtaway speed. Then you make the turn south at the end of the staightaway or after your jump and hopefully successful landing and head down the to wall turn and do it all over again. That is unless we have reversed the course and you go the opposite way:D

The Woods trails have 3 creeks, 5 ponds and a large lake with 1500 feet of shoreline and this is all encircled with hills, ridges, ravines, some that have 75 foot elevation changes and gazzillions of trees, not to mention wildlife, lots and lots of wildlife.

It is all enclosed in well over 2 miles of 'No Climb Security' fence and topped off with 10,000 volts of gentle reminder that we do not allow tresspassing, not to mention over 800 signs. So you never see anyone when out riding the trails.:D

We currently have a stable of sleds that includes newer 600 Formula and 500 Formula Skidoos , a 340 and 440 Artic Cat, along with 6 other older sleds that range from a couple of classic John Deere's too a couple of older Skidoos and Cats.

Usually we just run the the 4 newer sleds unless it is a sled party then they all come out and it is every man/woman for themselves.:D

Dave,

BTW, as I write this it is snowing really hard here. We were not suppose to get hardly any snow, but in less than an hour it has already covered the grass and it looks like we might hit the sled threshold, which is only 2 or 3 inches if the ground is frozen.

Hopefully this will continue east and put some down on the ground for you guys in PA as well.

I own and live on a very cool piece of property that is well over 300 acres.

Wow......how nice to be able to have that at you beckoning call !

Although I having been doing this for 35 years now and have ridden through out the NE including Canada, 300 acres would get boring pretty quick for me. An average trail day for us is right around 200 miles, the most I've ever done in one day 335 miles., 1990, Quebec

Every year in Feb we go to Moosehead Lake in Maine for 8-9 days, we have a Condo (we rent) right on the Lake, here's a pic of my '09 Doo Renegade in front of the Condo looking out on the lake (Moosehead lake is rather large...40 miles long and 12 miles wide, with approx. 600 miles of shoreline)

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 213
Dave,

I understand, that is some pretty serious riding. I find that after about 2 hours of riding I need to take a break and come in to the clubhouse......I mean house and listen to some music, drink something warm and then I am ready to go out and do it again.

Funny thing and it is probably just me, but I have yet to get bored. As you can see from the pics the topography of this property is anything but boring.

I find that unlike jet skiing where the water is pretty much the same every time you ride. Snowmobiling is different every time you ride.

The depth of the snow, the type of snow, the tempature, whether it is night or day, all of these elements combine to make the snowmobiling experience different each time you do it.

And it does not hurt to have a frozen lake, open fields, light and heavy woods with undulating terrain along with ridges, hillsides, ravines, creeks, ponds and roads to ride around on, and you never see anyone.

Attachments

• js800_IMG_0404.jpg
    js800_IMG_0404.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 184
  • js800_IMG_0408.jpg
    js800_IMG_0408.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 186
  • js800_IMG_0417.jpg
    js800_IMG_0417.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 184
  • js800_IMG_0421.jpg
    js800_IMG_0421.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 184
  • js800_IMG_0423.jpg
    js800_IMG_0423.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 184
And a couple more to round out the picture.

Attachments

• js800_IMG_0425.jpg
    js800_IMG_0425.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 175
  • js800_IMG_0431.jpg
    js800_IMG_0431.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 180
  • js800_IMG_0434.jpg
    js800_IMG_0434.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 185
JM....Great shots ! Don't you just love it when you come upon wildlife while riding !

Attached is a shot from Maine while riding in '08 when a couple of Moose jumped out in front of us, it did take me some time to get stopped and get my camera out !

Also note in the other how well our trails are groomed, plenty of areas where we are able to cruise @ 70 plus mph.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 173
Yep, can't wait! No real snow here yet. So far just an inch and some rain and some cold, winter without the FUN.

When the snow falls, I'll fly over, Joe - and you can teach me how to ride one of those things:rocker::devil:

Then we'll give yer CLXes a work out... over a drink or nine:)

Justin,

Don't say it, if you don't mean it.:D

Seriously, if you come we will drink. Kind of like field of dreams, but with better music.:D

Joe,

Thanks for that, but it was a bit of a dream, really... but that isn't to say I wouldn't enjoy it - I'm sure I would!

Happy Xmas & New Year to you.

Justin

And the same to you Justin, with bells and whistles and candy cane thistles.

If you do find your way across the pond, you have an open invitation, we have a guest house that is quite nice. You just have to share it with three cats, two gineau pigs, one turtle and a partridge in a pear tree.:D

and a partridge in a pear tree.:D

Come on JM,,,,,"no maids a milking" ?? ......heck, I'll trl my sleds west !

BTW, I'm back home in Upstate NY this week, were getting 'lake effect' as I type this...sweeeet !!

Back