CLX Anniversary or CLX Linear ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PartTimeJedi

So.... looking for my last speaker purchase, Anni or Linear but some questions ..

These are my completely subjective thoughts on the basis of logic. I am only interested in better sound not the cosmetics.

1. The Anni is different in sound as due to the extra 20kg over the Linear in weight it dampens the panel more than the Linear.

2. The Anni sounds different than the Linear as it picks up some sound waves reflection off the metal frame.

3. The Anni sounds different than the Linear as the Linear absorbs more sound because of the frame.

4. The Anni sounds the same as the Linear as the internal speaker damping is effective, that the decision is a cosmetic one only.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone has done a side by side comparison to see if your conjecture is correct or not. That might be interesting.....or maybe not.

I do know that if you place black granite or marble slabs on the CLX cabinet directly behind the panel, that the Bass is profoundly effected, at least that was my experience.

By the way I have the Linear Frame CLXs and the CLX Bass tweak is in the TWEAKS section of the MLOC complete with setup pix and it cost less than $100 USD at least at Home Depot.

Is the 25th Anniversary edition still available? I know they're still on ML's web site, but I was under the impression that they were limited to n pieces (for suitably small values of n), and they'd sold out ages ago. Am I mistaken?

You are right, they are old new stock (unopened but old stock)

So.... looking for my last speaker purchase, Anni or Linear but some questions ..

These are my completely subjective thoughts on the basis of logic. I am only interested in better sound not the cosmetics.

1. The Anni is different in sound as due to the extra 20kg over the Linear in weight it dampens the panel more than the Linear.

2. The Anni sounds different than the Linear as it picks up some sound waves reflection off the metal frame.

3. The Anni sounds different than the Linear as the Linear absorbs more sound because of the frame.

4. The Anni sounds the same as the Linear as the internal speaker damping is effective, that the decision is a cosmetic one only.

Thanks for any input.

Great post - I attempted to suggest there would be a difference to a CLX owner and he emphatically stated that he had heard no difference between the two, like Jeff has just done.

However, 20KG must have an effect on something, i.e. frame resonance, and therefore panel resonance. This is just simple physics. I bet a sequence of loud test tones of varying frequency would produce a measurable difference, if the same panels were transposed between the differing frames. Just how significant this would be, I wouldn't like to say.

I wonder if ML ever tried something like that... who knows what they get up to.;)

Latest posts

Back