new to club - need suggestion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miner

Reaction score
I am currently using McIntosh gear (C2200 pre and MC252 amp) with my Dynaudio 52SE & Sub20A. My source is a Rega P7 TT. I am looking to upgrade my speakers and have been auditionig some ML Spires but my dealer does not have Mc equipment. Is this a good match with ESLs? Also, comments on Spire vs Vantage/Depth combo. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thainks. BTW, my first post.:stop:

Miner....Welcome to the fold !

Will your dealer let you either demo the Spires @ home or bring your Mac gear into his shop ??

FWIW, my gut tells me you'd be a 'Happy Camper' !!

Also having owned Vantages before my Spire purchase a year ago, I've used a sub with both (not Depth but rather a Velodyne DD-15) and can say with todays eq technology integrating a sub has never been easier !

My cousin Gordon should be able to answer this question.

He has Spires and Mac gear.

Gordon

Many members run Mack gear with logans. Personally, I would pass on the vantages and get the spires as they are a much better speaker in every respect. If you feel the need for a sub, get one later on.

I 2nd taking your mac gear right to the dealer to have a listen if a home demo is out of the question.
Cheers

If you value panel / woofer integration, it is about as good as you can get in a hybrid Spire.

You can't go wrong with Mac and Logan.

McIntosh & ML

Yep, I agree with everyone else...it is a great match. I am using a 402 and C2300 preamp and am very happy with the combination. The Mac solid state amps can really handle the low impedance of the Spires.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 209
  • amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 211
daven.,
Nice, clean system. Have you found you can forgo a sub with the Spires? I was going to audition this wekend but with chance of 'wintery' weather in Houston I may need to delay. We had snow this morning - the earliest account of snow in history.

Hi miner! I see you made it over here before my recommendation at AA. Not the 12 step program!

I have to second Moon. The Vantage is a great speaker but I feel the Spire does the bottom and mids smoother and accurately.

I've never heard the Spire on anything other than McIntosh except an AVR when auditioning them. They don't really seem to need a sub unless your a basshead. I'm not a basshead but the subs just support the bottom a little more to my liking.

I run them on the 4 ohm tap. I experimented with all three taps and found the 4 to be the most pleasant. As I told the other Gordon, I had heard my rig several years ago and never considered anything else. Maybe not the best way to buy audio, but the McIntosh house sound just draws me in. I'm sure there is different gear out there that provides a different sound. Notice I didn't say better or worse.

I'd try my best to get the Spire in your house for an honest look. Second choice is carry your gear down to the dealer. Just be careful with the glass fronts!

See you around

Gordon

Dave the new setup is great! Looks like you were able to give the speakers a little more breathing room than the upstairs room. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing in the near future. What were the dimensions of the new room?

Gordon

Hi Miner - I find that the Spires do fine without a sub (or pair of subs) for the music I listen to and how I listen. But I don't do heavy rock or big classical. But for a full measure of stand-up bass, meaty kick drums or electric bass the Spires do well on their own.

Gordon - yeah the new room is great. The soundstage is much bigger, bass seems to develop more fully and overall I just feel less "cramped" in the new room. The dimensions are 20' X 36' X 9'. But now that I have this large room, there may be a pair of CLX's that are calling my name...

Regards

Back