PS Audio PWT and PWD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has any one auditioned the new PS Audio PWT / PWD?
I want to buy a new CD player but do not know which.
Some one suggeste to listen to the PS audio PWT / PWD.
Appears to work different from "standard" CD players but I have no idea if the sound is equivalent - and good enough for my Summits.
Before spending lots of time auditioning, I would appreciate your comments.

Last edited:
Definitely good enough for your summits....

We've got a review in progress. So far, very impressed.

Hi Dutch,

I assume you are talking about the new transport and DAC that list for $3K each.

Assuming this is true, here's what I know.

I haven't heard the unit except for those rooms that were using it as a source at the 2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. And from my recollection, there were a few including Analysis Audio.

Very difficult to determine much of anything given show conditions but I know Rich / fellow MLC member and who's ears I would trust, had good things to say about the units.

Having said that, you still have an issue. You can visit a dealer and hear the unit and have a reaction but this is no guarantee of how it will sound in your system. It's merely an indication only. The same holds true with any other CDP or other hardware for that matter.

The best thing to do, if possible, is arrange for an in home / no obligation to buy audition for at least a couple of days. Also, make sure the unit you are auditioning is "burned in". If it isn't, what you hear may or may not be indicative of the unit's final sound.

Good luck.

GG

PS While I was posting, I noticed that Jeff has a unit that he is reviewing. More information pending.

Last edited:
I auditioned and purchased a PWT about a month ago. I've spent the time since auditioning the PWD, Weiss DAC2 and Berkeley Alpha. Both the PWD and Weiss are very good DACs but, in my admittedly atypical system (PWT>Digital Preamp>DAC), I found the Berkeley to be markedly better. That outcome might be different in a more conventional PWT/PWD arrangement using the I2S direct connection and, as Gordon suggests, how it will sound in your system is best answered by home audition, if you can possibly arrange it.

As Gordon said above, I was very impressed with the sound of these units at the RMAF. Very natural, very realistic sound. I definitely recommend auditioning them in your system.

last night I had the opportunity to listen to a system that included the PS Audio PWT transport and PWD DAC. Overall the system was very impressive with sonic characteristics that appealed to me. A beautiful midrange with nice tone, natural sounding female vocals, definitely "non-digital" like. The bass was good but not the best I've ever heard. It's not really possible to tell if anyone component was a key factor or not since I was listening to a :system and a room" and from my experience no two rooms are ever alike. I think an audition of the PWT/PWD in one's own system is warranted.

The system was PA Audio PWT/PWD connected only with a generic $40 HDMI cable then powered by a McIntosh 275 tube amp, stealth speaker cables and Merlin VSM speakers. Again, I'm commenting on the overall system and wasn't swapping out components so I can only comment on the synergy of this system but I can say the PWT/PWD wasn't holding anything back.

After reading up on the PWT/PWD I find that is quite sophisticated in its implementation and the DAC has every digital input you could ever need including USB and HDMI.

If I was in the market for a DAC this would be hard to beat and reasonably priced considering all its capable of including tight integration with a music server system and DLNA.

Last edited:
I like the idea they have going behind the PWD as a DLNA device. When they release the network bridge/lens and the controller (iPhone/iPod Touch app, and/or their own controller), it will be interesting to see the reviews on how it works as a streaming device. I know it will support FLAC which is a requirement for me. So its GUI will be the deciding factor for me.

They both have a color touch screen panel on the front but touch screen remote for these would be ideal. I don't know if they can communicate back to a remote but that would be a big plus if they can do that.

PS Audio appears to have the smartest if not the best integrated/interoperable approach towards current and emerging digital audio formats and doing so with audio quality in mind.

I think Jeff Dorgay of Tonepub is currently running this combo through the obstacle course. I'm looking forward to his review.

From the information on their site and forum, they are working on a ~7" touchscreen controller for the PWD. This along with an app for iPhone/ipod Touch. They are focusing on the GUI and I am sure they will get it right. SONOS seems to have gotten it although I can still think of ways to improve it. :)

I know the PWD can be used direct to amp (using digital volume control). Anybody know if it has Home Theater Bypass capability with RCA analog inputs?

Nevermind! Per the product specs/manual, it apparently has only digital inputs.

Why oh why hasn't somebody introduced a combo DAC/preamp, with SPDIF, TOSlink, and USB inputs, along with home theater bypass (RCA +/- XLR), and remote control?? A built-in headphone amp would be icing on the cake. The Peachtree Audio NOVA is the closest I've seen, but in an integrated amp/DAC design.

Peachtree will be releasing a Preamp/DAC only version of the Nova in 2010. It should be at CES? I would think it would cost less than the Nova with an amp. But it should have all the same features. I am itching for a Nova myself. :)

Back