Surround sound speakers for HT setup

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix3434

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, it seems like I will be going for a Martin Logan setup. Haven't made up my mind between the Source and Vista for fronts. That being said, I will also want a Center and 2 surrounds as well. The center is easy - I just need to do some listening tests with the different options.

The surround options however are confusing me. I don't have enough room behind my couch for a pair of floor standing electrostats. And if I were to wallmount, it would have to be on the "back wall" behind the couch (can't be on the side wall - one side of the couch is open space). Even though wall mounting on the back wall "is" an option, I would really prefer to have a couple of rears on "stands" instead above seating height.

All the "small" non-ESL ML speakers that I saw seem to be direct firing and not bipole or dipole. I said "non-ESL" b/c I don't want to spend Matinee/Stage/Motif/Feature $$ for a couple of surrounds. Given that my couch "IS" off-center in the room (closer to one side wall than the other), would direct firing speakers for surrounds be more appropriate than di/bipole surrounds? i.e. a couple of Encores?

Please provide your suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks very much.

Hi everyone,

So, it seems like I will be going for a Martin Logan setup. Haven't made up my mind between the Source and Vista for fronts. That being said, I will also want a Center and 2 surrounds as well. The center is easy - I just need to do some listening tests with the different options.

The surround options however are confusing me. I don't have enough room behind my couch for a pair of floor standing electrostats. And if I were to wallmount, it would have to be on the "back wall" behind the couch (can't be on the side wall - one side of the couch is open space). Even though wall mounting on the back wall "is" an option, I would really prefer to have a couple of rears on "stands" instead above seating height.

All the "small" non-ESL ML speakers that I saw seem to be direct firing and not bipole or dipole. I said "non-ESL" b/c I don't want to spend Matinee/Stage/Motif/Feature $$ for a couple of surrounds. Given that my couch "IS" off-center in the room (closer to one side wall than the other), would direct firing speakers for surrounds be more appropriate than di/bipole surrounds? i.e. a couple of Encores?

Thanks very much.
Hola...I like the new Encore very much. It is replacing the Vignette model and the price is very good. Try it, you might like it. It uses ATF for tweeter, and this part of the speaker (tweeter) is dipolar...as your dealer or go to www.martinlogan.com. You can adjust at your receiver the level and the distance from each speaker to your listening position with great results. Happy listening,
Roberto.

HT Speakers for ML ESLs

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much.

I have an M-L ESL set up (System #308). I would strongly suggest an ESL hybrid center (Stage or used Theater (no longer made)) and an ESL wall mount for the rear/side speakers. I am using Script-i's which are no longer made but can be found on internet market places like AudioGon or eBay. If you are going for the Vistas (which are excellent) these above-mentioned speakers will be a better match. They are voiced to mate with other M-L ESLs. I have the same issue with speakers on the back wall functioning as side rather than rear speakers. I get very good home theater effects when they are present. While Stages could also be used as rear/side speakers, they are much more expensive than Scripts and given the limited amount of information, may not be worth the extra expense.

Hi everyone.

I was offered a very good price for the Encore's - so I think I will go with them for my 2 x surrounds.

Ideally, I would like to mount them on stands behind my couch. Do the Encores come with any stands? If not, what are my options? Also, would I place them horizontally or vertically?

Thanks very much!

Back