Integrating Summit X with Descent i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRace

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on how you would integrate the Summit X's with a Descent i.

This will be for both movies and music.

Would you:

a) High Pass the Summits at 80Hz and let the Descent take it from there
b) High Pass the Summits at 40Hz and let the Descent take it from there
c) Run the Summits full range and run the Descent up to 80Hz
d) None of the above

I will be taking measurements from the seating position (with a Behringer ECM800 mic and Room EQ Wizard) in all three configurations to determine what gives the smoothest in-room response and to determine the best location for the sub.

If this was your setup, what would you do?

Amplification for the Summits is a Bryston 9BSST2 with a Denon 4308 as processor.

For movies (5.1 to 7.1) I would set your front speakers to large and use the sub out of the pre to the LFE in of the sub. For 2 channel I would run the Summits full range and the sub at 45. Use the line out from the pre to the sub and then the line level out from the sub to the amp. This works best for my setup. However I do not have Summit X speakers.

just curious why you would run through the sub to the amp for 2 channel? isnt more things in the signal chain bad?

For me RCA cables cost less than speaker cables. The Descent will let you use speaker level as well. It is up to you.

I had a sub with my pair of Summit Xs and it was just too much bass. For 2CH I would leave the sub off and I think you'll find that the stereo pair of woofers will sound much better in speed, tightness and more coherent. Believe me with 4 10" powered woofers you'll have adequate bass for 2CH.

Run the Summits full range and cross over the descent at about 30hz or lower...

That's where I had the best result. The summits go down to about 25hz very solid, so you just want the decent to pick up the very bottom.

That's where I had the best result. The summits go down to about 25hz very solid, so you just want the decent to pick up the very bottom.

Tried that last night with the new Gerard Bulter movie, Gamer - blends in nicely with the Summits - you have no idea it is there...and then BOOM. Sure sent the cat running.

Yup, that's what works for me, although I sometimes run the crossover one notch higher. I'd say the Descent i integrates very well 80-90% of the time. On bass-heavy material, I simply turn the sub off. Otherwise, it's a great addition.

Hello,
Just one point about crossing the Summits over at 80 Hz. Your Denon incorporates Audyssey MultEQ XT. With this system, if all speakers are set to small, the Subwoofer Channel receives 8 times the processing power.

Audyssey advocates all users crossover their speakers at 80 Hz. Regardless of speaker. I completely understand that the Summit is capable of exceptional bass and would definitely cross them over at 30 Hz in a 2 channel application. However with HT, I would say at least experimenting with an 80 Hz crossover might be worth trying. Saying nothing of the fact that the Descent i is a World Class Subwoofer and 80 Hz is well below where the panel is in operation.

Now if your room is in little need of Audyssey's voodoo, the importance of optimizing Audyssey is of little matter.
Cheers,
ML

Back