3 D TV / 3 D Audio ~ What do you guys think?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I watched 60 minutes last Sunday and was interested in James Cameron's "Avatar" film coming out in mid December. I so grateful to see the coming, at long last, of 3 D TV. I found an article addressing this as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/18/3D.home.television/index.html

I was wondering will their be a new type of audio sound engineering for 3 D TV's like for example "3D-True"? Will we once again need new processors to use to take advantage of the newest 3 D technology for our HT systems?

I just wanted to know what you guys think of this coming 3 D TV technology?

Attachments

• 3d-46-inch-tv-big.jpg
    3d-46-inch-tv-big.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 3d tv.jpg
    3d tv.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 3d_TV_screen.jpg
    3d_TV_screen.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 145
  • 3D sound.jpg
    3D sound.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Audio 3 D.jpg
    Audio 3 D.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 190
Hi Robin,
Strangely enough....I've found myself gravitating back to good old stereo more and more despite the availability of multichannel audio :D As a longstanding (and current) vinyl enthusiast, I started as a first adopter of DVD and Surround Sound, first in analog format then digital, even to the extent of running my CDs through some degree of surround processing to add missing atmosphere, and this year I've found myself focussing on humble stereo and hardly invoking the surround modes at all.

Higher resolution formats are always intriguing though....I live in hope that one day I can finally switch off my turntable in favour of something better !!! :D :D
Kind regards.......................................Victor.

3DTV + audio to match= a total waste of time and energy IMO. since I have no problem with the quality of either the images or the sound I get through my TV+ stereo system I can't see any point other than the gimmicky nature of the 3D process. Movies in the theater I can at least avoid but to do the same to ubiquitous TV signals is an affront.

In theory, I like the idea of 3D TV, but I would hate having to put on glasses every time I watched the tube. What a nuisance.

Very gimicky, IMHO. 3D video has been around for a long time, but has never taken off in the mainstream. However, with plummetting margins, consumer electronics companies need something new to sell. They are placing their hopes on 3D TV. I'm sure they will get some traction, but I doubt it will be significant. People are simply not willing to sit down with special glasses to watch their evening sitcoms.

The area where I think 3D might take off is gaming, where the additional immersion is worth the inconvenience of special glasses and viewing limitations.

(however, I'd be happy to sit down and watch a 3D movie with Samsung's model shown above)

Last edited:
I watched 60 minutes last Sunday and was interested in James Cameron's "Avatar" film coming out in mid December.
I dunno if I'm keen on a home version, but I am holding two tickets to the first local 3D IMAX showing of Avatar.;)

Not sure about the left side of the picture but my aunt bought me that sweater for Christmas when I was 11 I had to skip school for a week.

3 D Sound testing...

what is this a picture of? looks like a diffusor to me.

:)This is what seems to be 3 D sound testing possibly an experimentation sound room. Trying different angles of 3 D sound to be encoded later in some sort of 3 D sound processing, which would be altogether different than the 5.1 HD True or 7.1 DTS or 10.2 DTS HT audio processing we are currently used to. I am not sure what the future holds but I know it will be very different from current technology.

:)3 D visual monitors are predicted to advance to the point where no 3 D glasses are needed in 5 - 10 years. Sony has a couple of proto-types already developed - small Halographic imaging monitors, Pioneer as well...

Attachments

• sony_360_holographic_3d_tv_w500.jpg
    sony_360_holographic_3d_tv_w500.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 090604-pioneer3d-01.jpg
    090604-pioneer3d-01.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Back