Help required

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wsmatau

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of used Spires. But when I unpacked them I was dismayed to see corrosion on the bridges and rust on the rear screws. Other than that the speakers are very nearly perfect. Is this "normal?" Here is the explanation I was given:

The bridges on the speaker posts are silver plated copper as opposed to gold plated brass that is usually on connector plates. These silver plates give a better connection and also sound better, but silver oxides after five to six months (which is what you see). The good thing about silver is that after it oxidates it does not change the resistance or induction characteristics of the bridges (were as copper oxidates it is more resistance to the passing electrical charge). The rear screws have experienced the same problem, as they are copper screws (high end) opposed to nickel screws (low end). Martin Logan decided to use copper screws because nickel screws have a resonant frequency in the audible range (20hz-20khz) which can be detrimental to the sound. The copper too tends to oxidate within 6-12 months which is what you are seeing.

Can anyone confirm/deny? This is different than what I would expect to see from silver and copper.

Thanks.

I don't believe that explanation. I have owned both Aerius i's and Summits. I removed the (relatively cheap) standard jumpers that came with those speakers, and stored them in my garage (in high FL humidity)... and they never rusted or corroded. If you see rust/corrosion on the outside, there is likely rust/corrosion on the inside as well. Sounds like they were exposed to something corrosive (salt water, chinese drywall ?, other). How do they sound?

You might consider pullling out the power boards and taking a look inside. What recourse might you have with the seller?

Speaker posts

I recently bought a pair of used Spires. But when I unpacked them I was dismayed to see corrosion on the bridges and rust on the rear screws. Other than that the speakers are very nearly perfect. Is this "normal?" Here is the explanation I was given:

The bridges on the speaker posts are silver plated copper as opposed to gold plated brass that is usually on connector plates. These silver plates give a better connection and also sound better, but silver oxides after five to six months (which is what you see). The good thing about silver is that after it oxidates it does not change the resistance or induction characteristics of the bridges (were as copper oxidates it is more resistance to the passing electrical charge). The rear screws have experienced the same problem, as they are copper screws (high end) opposed to nickel screws (low end). Martin Logan decided to use copper screws because nickel screws have a resonant frequency in the audible range (20hz-20khz) which can be detrimental to the sound. The copper too tends to oxidate within 6-12 months which is what you are seeing.

Can anyone confirm/deny? This is different than what I would expect to see from silver and copper.

Thanks.

Have a look at the teaks concerning the CLS binding posts.
I have dispensed with the binding posts on both my pairs of CLSs and the results are nothing short of miraculous.If that seems too daunting replace the binding posts with WBTs or Eichmanns.

The bridges on the speaker posts are silver plated copper as opposed to gold plated brass that is usually on connector plates. These silver plates give a better connection and also sound better, but silver oxides after five to six months (which is what you see).

Thanks.

that's a load of bull ! I have spires and their is no silver on the bridges they are made of cheap metal of no particular origin that is why they are usually replaced! sounds like those speakers have been exposed to some rough elements I would do as recommended and open them up and take a look inside.

Guys,
Thanks for the responses. To avoid confusion there is corrosion on the jumper/bridges not the post itself. Here is what Martin Logan customer service told me:

The input bridge plates are rhodium.

The input terminals are gold plated brass.

If the speaker is all original factory equipment, it should not be corroded at the input terminals.

If other back-plate alloys are already corroded, I would have to question the environmental conditions where your seller kept the Spires. It may have been extreme.

I hope this clarifies some things for you.

Happy listening!

jp

If this corrosion was pretty obvious, and it wasn't disclosed up front by the seller, then I would suspect that the seller is trying to defraud you. I would seek a refund.

Did you buy these from a guy in the south? Nothing against the south, but perhaps they came from one of those homes with bad drywall? I'd certainly crack open the back and see if the crud is on the inside, on the electronics.

I hope this has a happy ending for you since the Spire is a fine speaker!

Gordon

Obviously the seller is fibbing about the materials, but is there any chance of posting some pics of the condition? Perhaps it's not as bad as it sounds from the description, as I have seen harmless light rusting to edges of black oxide steel hardware kept indoors.

Back