CLX vs SummitX vs Magico V3 - anyone?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
System synergy is so important, especially in high end audio. Look at how ML debuted the CLX with McIntosh gear. MLs have that walk through sound,and McIntosh is not the last word in transparent equipment. Maybe ML knew too much of a good thing (transparency) sounds neat for the five minutes, fatiguing and not real after six minutes.

I find it interesting that a poster here uses Spectral with ML speakers. Spectral is very fast and real sounding with certain speakers, but with another very transparent component like ML speakers one would think it would be too much of a good thing. If one has a room with alot of upholstery I could see how might work.

I find it interesting that a poster here uses Spectral with ML speakers. Spectral is very fast and real sounding with certain speakers, but with another very transparent component like ML speakers one would think it would be too much of a good thing. If one has a room with alot of upholstery I could see how might work.

Here's this poster. I won't comment on the merits of the combo, but I can tell you I am not a rarity. I sold my DMA-250 to a local fellow driving Prodigies (upgrading from a Classe) and he was stunned by the sound. He in turn was apparently turned on by a friend of his using DMA-360 monos to drive the Statement e2's.

Last edited:
Here's this poster. I won't comment on the merits of the combo, but I can tell you I am not a rarity. I sold my DMA-250 to a local fellow driving Prodigies (upgrading from a Classe) and he was stunned by the sound. He in turn was apparently turned on by a friend of his using DMA-360 monos to drive the Statement e2's.

I seem to recall back in the day one of the combos that seemed to be synergistic was the Quad ESL-63 driven by Spectral electronics, i.e., the DMA-50 amplifier and DMC-10 Delta preamp. So Spectral and transparent ESL speakers can go together quite nicely.

Now I would not argue if you claimed that the ESL-63 was not as transparent as the CLS or the new CLX but it was a pretty neutral loudspeaker.

I've had a good long listen to quite a few real exotic top end speakers over the years now. I've been into hifi since I was 12 years old, now I'm 32. I've now come to the conclusion that all box speakers regardless of price have some degree of boxiness to the sound which is not at all evident when using full range electrostatic speakers like the CLS/CLX, Quads etc. I am a music and movies 50/50 type of person. I've tried some really exotic box speakers with music as well as movies (Sonus Faber Stradivari, Guarneri Homage, various newer Wilson Audio models, Wilson Benesch Act, Kef Signature Series etc etc). With box speakers of this calibre (or any calibre) I've noticed that when you play music through them the sound is generally completely or virtually box free depending on the model. However when I've listened to speech/talking from a TV program or movie through them I can hear a definite boxiness which I tend to find distracting. To try and describe what I mean, just imagine holding an open box up in front of your face and talking into it, then you may understand what I'm trying to explain. When I watch commercial television/movies through my Cinema Projector and ML CLS IIz speakers every evening there is absolutely no evidence of boxiness to the sound whatsoever, it's completely open. I would never use any box loudspeaker because of this factor and am totally committed to sticking with proper full range electrostatics for the long term, especially my ML CLS IIz's which I've noticed are also slightly clearer sounding than any of the latest top Quad electrostatics by the way.

Last edited:
Speaker choices

Hi my two cents.

I purchased the YG Anats II main modules & the Anat II stands. I use two JL Audio F-112 as my bass. The bass of the YG's (studio/Pro) are powered-so for a lot less i get all the benefits of the Studio verision with just the Yg main module.

90% of YG sound is coming from the Main Module- The key is to properly "phase" your subs. For two chanel listing the YG Anat II sounds pretty darn close to a full range speaker add the JL F-112 & your there at a much lower cost. I purchased the Stage center - I aim hoping the match w/the YG will give me that ultra high resolution sound across my front that I aim searching for?

I aim currenty using the Wilson series 2 as my center, it's okay-great bass, but not near the resolution of the YG's.

My only concern is the Stage will not have a strong enought bass?

I will post my impressions of the YG & ML combo when I have the Stage broken-in.

I aim hoping this will give me the best of both worlds at a price I can afford.

Kodg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back