Newly acquired (used) CLSs vs. previous pr.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raanan17

Reaction score
Received a pair of CLSIIZ with new panels made in 2009(according to the serial no.).
My old pair are CLSIIA with panels replaced in 2003,panels were manufactured in 2000,according to the serial no.
The new pair sound way more refined with a lush midrange,something totally absent on the old speakers.The lush midrange may actually be a sign that the high frequency response of the new pair with the 2009 panels is more extended.Certainly,the IIZ present a much easier load to my 100WPC tube amp than the IIA,which absolutely will not sound decent without the benefit of an elec. crossover relieving them of frequencies below 160 cps.The new IIz speakers also benefit from working 160 and up,but the tube amp can drive them fullrange quite decently,something that it can not do with the IIa.
I am especially happy with the added midrange lushness,something that I have missed since my days with ESL57.

You sound surpised. Living in a place that is known for miracles.......well if the CLSIIZ physicaly turns into a ESL57.....let us know.

And post pics, before and after.

Welcome to the magical world of ML.

the plot sickens...egg on face

You sound surpised. Living in a place that is known for miracles.......well if the CLSIIZ physicaly turns into a ESL57.....let us know.

And post pics, before and after.

Welcome to the magical world of ML.

Discovered that most of the sonic difference between the 2 pairs may be attributed mostly to...what they are standing on,and not the panels.

ETC spikes,vs. the round flatfeet.
When I exchanged the flatfeet for the ETCs,the new pair sounded like the old pair(that previously had the ETCs.
My assumption proved wrong.What accounts for the sound is what is under the frames.

One of my favorite audio phrases.

Vibration is the bane of audio.

Until one minimizes / eliminates all vibrations to speakers and equipment, IMHO, you are not hearing what your equipment is capable of.

And it is so inexpensive in many cases. Minor $ with a silly / stupid performance jump.

GG

Discovered that most of the sonic difference between the 2 pairs may be attributed mostly to...what they are standing on,and not the panels.

ETC spikes,vs. the round flatfeet.
When I exchanged the flatfeet for the ETCs,the new pair sounded like the old pair(that previously had the ETCs.
My assumption proved wrong.What accounts for the sound is what is under the frames.

ok, so which solution is better in your case? etc or stock round feet? what are you placing speakers on? carpet, wood tile, concrete?

Get them on rigid stands with rear braces and watch the CLX become less appealing !

Back