McIntosh MC 2100 / CLS ii

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLFAN

Reaction score
Hi, there , I am back....

Anyone here would like to give me some advices about the McIntosh MC 2100 ?

I am thinking to get that to drive my CLS IIs.

Is it better using one to drive both speakers in stereo mode or one for each speaker in bridge mono mode ? thanks guys.

Also, anyone here in SF Bayarea would suggest me some places where I should have my 12au7 Tube preamp fixed due to an accident fall from the rack. 20lb, 3 foot free fall drop, almost landed on my feet. Sigh.... long story though...

thx guys

If the amp is in good condition, (that's their 30+ year old amp, right?) then it should be fine. I'll let the CLS guys respond, but I think more power might be better. Doesn't that amp put out more than 100 wpc?

If the amp is in good condition, (that's their 30+ year old amp, right?) then it should be fine. I'll let the CLS guys respond, but I think more power might be better. Doesn't that amp put out more than 100 wpc?

In fact the MC 2100 has gone through some services check up and tested at a local audio shop recently and clinically proved that it possibly capable of output 135 wpc. Cosmetically and sonically, to me at the moment, it is in its good condition, at least there are some paper showing its history of services during its 30+ years life. It also has stickers on the chassis indicated the year of services and signature of the technicians, I guess.

I was thinking to buy 2 units, bridge up mono, one for each of CLS. Or any better idea you guys can provide me. i am listening. :music:

About the damage TUBE PREAMP during the free fall, I still like to have it fixed rather than set it aside useless. That what I need to help. Any repair shop in the BAYAREA that anyone can suggest me to go? thx, you all.

Last edited:
Hey, Steve,

I am actually traveling here in Austin, Very close to ROUND ROCK.. nice city though. thanks for your reply.

Pat

Hi, there , I am back....

Anyone here would like to give me some advices about the McIntosh MC 2100 ?

I am thinking to get that to drive my CLS IIs.

Is it better using one to drive both speakers in stereo mode or one for each speaker in bridge mono mode ? thanks guys.

Also, anyone here in SF Bayarea would suggest me some places where I should have my 12au7 Tube preamp fixed due to an accident fall from the rack. 20lb, 3 foot free fall drop, almost landed on my feet. Sigh.... long story though...

thx

I have CLSIIA speakers for the last 20 years.I had a MAC 2100 here and a 2205.There is NO WAY that these amps can drive CLSIIs.They sounded like a transistor radio.Even when the 2205 showed peaks of 400 watts per channel,it sounded weak and thin through the CLSs.You need an amp with lots of current as opposed to watts.

I have CLSIIA speakers for the last 20 years.I had a MAC 2100 here and a 2205.There is NO WAY that these amps can drive CLSIIs.They sounded like a transistor radio.Even when the 2205 showed peaks of 400 watts per channel,it sounded weak and thin through the CLSs.You need an amp with lots of current as opposed to watts.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Just curious about what power amp you are currently pairing with the CLSIIA? I thought McIntosh normally will generate enough high current. So what is your suggestion though? Why was that you think there is "NO WAY"? The only thing i was confused about the output terminal on the MC 2100, 4,8,16 ohm, If i am not mistaken, the CLS has an impedance of 6 ohm, which output terminal should it be connected to ? I wish if you could specify the reasons why this MC 2100 or 2205 are not capable of driving the CLS on your thought. thanks a lot. :music:

Did you bring the cold weather with you? :D I was born in San Francisco and love that city.

Weather was not cold over there. It is cool, though. I have been gone for few days. But heard that traffic through the Bay bridge is pretty jammed up.

Anyway, do you agree with "raanan17"'s comment about MC 2100 ? It is nothing personal, I just want to hear more comments about pairing the MC 2100 with their speakers. It is old though. thx

Pat

Weather was not cold over there. It is cool, though. I have been gone for few days. But heard that traffic through the Bay bridge is pretty jammed up.

Anyway, do you agree with "raanan17"'s comment about MC 2100 ? It is nothing personal, I just want to hear more comments about pairing the MC 2100 with their speakers. It is old though. thx

Pat

I don't know enough about the MC2100. I'm using 100wpc (150wpc @1khrtz) tube integrated with my Aerius and that's plenty, but I defer to others who have your speaker.

Current,current...

I have CLSIIA speakers for the last 20 years.I had a MAC 2100 here and a 2205.There is NO WAY that these amps can drive CLSIIs.They sounded like a transistor radio.Even when the 2205 showed peaks of 400 watts per channel,it sounded weak and thin through the CLSs.You need an amp with lots of current as opposed to watts.

Thanks, Just curious about what power amp you are currently pairing with the CLSIIA? I thought McIntosh normally will generate enough high current. So what is your suggestion though? Why was that you think there is "NO WAY"? The only thing i was confused about the output terminal on the MC 2100, 4,8,16 ohm, If i am not mistaken, the CLS has an impedance of 6 ohm, which output terminal should it be connected to ? I wish if you could specify the reasons why this MC 2100 or 2205 are not capable of driving the CLS on your thought. thanks a lot. :music:[/QUOTE]

I have used the following amps with my CLSIIs in the past 20 years:

QUAD 405-not good enough
MOSCODE 600-good,but foggy MOSFET sound
ARC VS 110- the best so far
ADCOM 555-sufficient power,but grainy sound
ADCOM 545-surprisingly sufficient power,but thin sound
BEHRINGER EP1500-more than decent,just do not expect too much for the money
MAC 2205-No
MAC 2100-NO
Dynaco transistor 200WPC amp.No.

The MAC amps are a bad joke into the CLSs-they are not able to deliver sufficient current.

Another few

Threshold 100 watt-sounded great.
HK Citation 22-sounded muddy
Modified QUAD IIs-great up to moderate levels
MAC MOD 405s-did not work well
QUAD 405-not a good choice
DPA 50S great when it did not blow up
NAIM-blew up
Elctrocompaniet 50 watt-great combo(stable down to 0.5 ohm

Vintage MAC will NOT work,and could blow up.

A pair of bridged ST70s did not work well

Connecting tube amps is safer than experimenting with SS amps.

Aerius are known to be an easy load

I don't know enough about the MC2100. I'm using 100wpc (150wpc @1khrtz) tube integrated with my Aerius and that's plenty, but I defer to others who have your speaker.

Compare the surface area of the Aerius to that of the CLS.That should give you an idea of what an amp is up against driving the CLSs.
Years ago,when I also had SL3s,I drove them with 12 watt tube monoblocks on the panels and an SS amp on the woofers.Sounded quite good in my bedroom.
Then,I got a Behringer EP1500 amp.Really cheap,but powerful.Driving the 90 db efficient SL3s,it was vastly better in getting the speakers to blossom.BTW,I tried using the same 12 watt tube monoblocks with my CLSs in the same room.Distortion set in at very low listening levels.I am sure that these 12 watt triode class A tube monoblocks could do a decent job driving the Aerius full range.
The CLS are a different cup of tea.

Compare the surface area of the Aerius to that of the CLS.That should give you an idea of what an amp is up against driving the CLSs.
Years ago,when I also had SL3s,I drove them with 12 watt tube monoblocks on the panels and an SS amp on the woofers.Sounded quite good in my bedroom.
Then,I got a Behringer EP1500 amp.Really cheap,but powerful.Driving the 90 db efficient SL3s,it was vastly better in getting the speakers to blossom.BTW,I tried using the same 12 watt tube monoblocks with my CLSs in the same room.Distortion set in at very low listening levels.I am sure that these 12 watt triode class A tube monoblocks could do a decent job driving the Aerius full range.
The CLS are a different cup of tea.

Thanks, buddy, Have not gotten a chance come up here last few days, did not realize you have provided quite detail info. I am trying to rethink what should be paired with my CLS. will let you know once I decided.

Amp for CLSs

Thanks, buddy, Have not gotten a chance come up here last few days, did not realize you have provided quite detail info. I am trying to rethink what should be paired with my CLS. will let you know once I decided.

Glad to be of help.I would suggest the following:
Buy a Behringer EP1500.It will drive the CLSs well.It is not a refined amp,but it will give you an idea.Costs around 400$ or less.Use it for a few months,and crystallize your feelings as to what it is exactly that you are missing in the overall sound.Then you can post again with the specific question-which amp will give me .... in conjunction with my CLSs.
Look the equipment that you use with your CLSs has to be top notch-be prepared.I am currently using my Behringer on the CLSs in my bedroom-not bad at all,and I have an ARC in the living room.I am trying to get a friend to build a pair of 100 lb. monster SET amps in the not too distant future.

Peter Gunn said on the Planar Asylum(audioasylum)

Glad to be of help.I would suggest the following:
Buy a Behringer EP1500.It will drive the CLSs well.It is not a refined amp,but it will give you an idea.Costs around 400$ or less.Use it for a few months,and crystallize your feelings as to what it is exactly that you are missing in the overall sound.Then you can post again with the specific question-which amp will give me .... in conjunction with my CLSs.
Look the equipment that you use with your CLSs has to be top notch-be prepared.I am currently using my Behringer on the CLSs in my bedroom-not bad at all,and I have an ARC in the living room.I am trying to get a friend to build a pair of 100 lb. monster SET amps in the not too distant future.

MAC 2100 would die on Maggies.The same holds true for ML.

Back