ProAc D28

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I am enjoying my D28 ProAc to the hilt after I sold my Summit. It may be my Summits were not suitable for my Room (25' by 13'). Specially at low volumes the ProAc's sound is immaculate - cannot be compared. I have modified my AES Six Pacs Amp heavily - recently upgraded the signal coupling caps from Jensen "Copper Paper in Oil" to VH Audio's Teflon Caps. I could not expect this vast change - like more than changing the speaker cables as well as IC. I am currently driving with Cary SLP05 preamp. I have also added Transfiguration Phoenix cart. with SME V. If one is used to EL34 power Triode amp, I can assure you that no turning back to Solid State amp. I have ordered AudioNote DUAL 300B based Kit and anxious to find out the results. I thank one of the members here to advice me to go for top of the range Harmonix Power, Speakers and IC which made a lot of difference. I think these cable worth investing once in a "life time" as they are frightfully expensive.
Cheers!!!

I have modified my AES Six Pacs Amp heavily - recently upgraded the signal coupling caps from Jensen "Copper Paper in Oil" to VH Audio's Teflon Caps. I could not expect this vast change - like more than changing the speaker cables as well as IC. I am currently driving with Cary SLP05 preamp. I have also added Transfiguration Phoenix cart. with SME V. If one is used to EL34 power Triode amp, I can assure you that no turning back to Solid State amp.

Hey Abhijit,
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the SixPacs to the hilt! As a fellow SixPacs owner, I'm really interested in what modifications you've made to yours. Will you please give the descriptions of what you've done with your SixPacs?

Thanks in advance
Spike

Hey Abhijit,
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the SixPacs to the hilt! As a fellow SixPacs owner, I'm really interested in what modifications you've made to yours. Will you please give the descriptions of what you've done with your SixPacs?

Thanks in advance
Spike
Hi, I really do not know what mod you had requested from AES when you purchased. I had ordered for a) Silver Soldering throughout b) WBT Topline speaker Binding post c) Additional Balanced Input connectors. Since I found that they are asking far too much for the Jensen Copper foil in Oil (Much superior than the stock Kimber Signal Caps), I ordered matched pair straight from Jensen, Denmark at unbelievable price!!
I ran-in these caps with Audio Dharma Cable Cooker to save the Life of the tubes. I did tube rolling and settled with Tungsol EL34, Gold Lion EL84 and Jan Philips (NOS) 12AX7. These tubes made a huge difference. Then after a year I get to know about VH Audio's Teflon Caps. I ordered 2% tollerance caps of 0.22mfd/600VDC (2 nos for each channel) with 1% tollerance between the caps used in the upper and lower half of the amplification per channel. I initially run-in the caps for 4 days (EQUIV TO 500 Hours in the circuit) in Audio Dharma cable cooker and put them in the circuit. Then I ran for 240 hours continuously using FM tuner (surely with different. tubes - to save my expensive tubes), then the actual qualities were exhibited Cant describe you in words about the change - speed, clarity, space(Day & Night difference ). Thanx to Chris of VH Audio for his creation of these caps. These 4 caps are expensive (about US$ 500) but I think it's worth it!!! Now I realize also how good are the Harmonix Cables (Power, Speaker & IC). I feel these Six Pack drive ProAc D28 very well - even in very low volume one get a terrific sound (unlike Summit where it requires high power). ProAcs sound best with Tubes (different beast) - I do not want to discuss much about ProAc here!!!

Regarding your last sentence, all I can say is Good. I'm glad you like your Proacs and all that other stuff.

GG

Last edited:
Back