ML Preface

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siobe

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to buy a pair of ML preface and a 110W pioneer vsx-21thx and I am asking for some feeback from everyone about this. The salesperson at BB are suggesting to get a bigger amplifier 135W onkyo TX-NR807. I'm planning to use this system in a 14X15 room and mostly for playing movies. Thank you in advance for the feedbacks.

the Preface is a 200w 4ohm speaker, 110w at 8ohm will be a bit light of a diet for them.

Thank you for the reply Jimna. Do you think it is better to get the onkyotx-nr807 or add a behringer ep-2500 on the vsx21? I am thinking the later one would be better and would like other people input before I pull the trigger on this one.

I have to disagree. I think 110 watts is more than enough. If the pioneer is only rated at 8 ohm to 110 watts them most likely it has a higher watt rating at 4 ohms. 110 watts is still lots of power. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Greetings Siobe -

Grabbed this from the speaker manual:

What size amplifier should I use?
We recommend an amplifier with 100 watts per
channel for most applications. Probably less would
be adequate when used in home theater where a
subwoofer is employed. Our hybrid designs will
perform well with either a tube or transistorized amplifier,
and will reveal the sonic character of either type.
However, it is important that the amplifier be stable operating
into varying impedance loads: a stable amplifier
will be able to deliver twice its rated wattage into 4
Ohms and should again double into 2 Ohms.

I also noticed that their sensitivity is 92 dB, which means that they are hungry and would benefit with a bit more power.

It is sometimes difficult to find a high current amp that meets the condition of doubling its wattage from 8 to 4 to 2 Ohms. Although ML recommends this, the Preface uses ribbons and i am questioning if such a requirement is really necessary. I have noticed that a lot of very high-end amps used by this group do not meet that condition.

i am right now feeding my Prefaces 150w @ 4ohms and wish it was more.

just my 2cents having used the speaker, YMMV.

ML Preface , vignette

I recently purchased ML preface for Front LR and Vignette for center and rear.
These will be part of my basement home theater setup in a hall 20'Lx12'W.

What's a decent receiver to start enjoying the ML speakers ?

The BB guys suggested ONKYO SR-707 should be fine, but I am not sure if it will be the right balance with the preface and vignette.
Any other comments/suggestions ?.

Thanks in advance.

The BB guys suggested ONKYO SR-707 should be fine, but I am not sure if it will be the right balance with the preface and vignette.
Any other comments/suggestions ?.

Thanks in advance.
can you go back to BB and try the preface with that amp? unfortunately im not familiar with much of Onkyo's stuff.

otherwise i stand by my statements above.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR806 driving 3 Preface speakers in L-C-R configuration and old KEF Q80s as rear surrounds. If I were in your case, I'd skip the 707 if you aren't buying an external amp (it might be underpowered).

I would either get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120136&Tpk=TX-NR807 ($779 + free shipping)
-or-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120137&Tpk=NR1007 ($1,099 + free shipping)

The 1007 would be the way to go if you have the extra cash.

i am right now feeding my Prefaces 150w @ 4ohms and wish it was more.

just my 2cents having used the speaker, YMMV.

I am driving my Prefaces with 180w rms/ch and really wish I had more, like around 300 or so. They really do like the power and will call for it! I agree that finding the right amp is a real endeavor as there are so many out there.

Hello,
Another way more powerful option is the TX-SR876 available B-Stock from Accessories4less for 829 (1800 MSRP)
Here is the link:http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-Silver-/1.html

The 876 is THX Ultra 2 Plus Certified, has Audyssey MultEQ XT (807 only has MultEQ), Reon Video Processing (one of the best) and much more.

Here is the Bench Test of the 875: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2463/test-bench-onkyo-tx-sr875-av-receiver.html
Here is a Review from AV Guide:http://www.avguide.com/review/tested-onkyo-tx-sr876-thx-ultra2-plus-certified-71-channel-av-receiver

It honestly is in another league than the 807 and compared to Magnolia A/V pricing, 200 Dollars cheaper.
Cheers,
JJ

The salesperson at BB are suggesting to get a bigger amplifier 135W onkyo TX-NR807

When I first heard the Preface at BB I clearly asked for them not to use a Home Theatre amplifier. They did anyway. I was not impressed and did not make the purchase. Weeks later it dawned on me that a decent amp for 2ch with some real power would have made a difference. So I went back and made the purchase. My Crown D150 is working out well with these for now but I am going to upgrade.

Siobe, my advice, get those speakers they are magnificent. Then shop for a high power amp say 300 watts or more per channel. Its not that you will be up that loud but the speakers will want the extra power for milliseconds to deliver the magnificent peaks in some of the program material even while you are listening to levels you are used to. That performance ability will make all the difference in the world.

I do apologize though I am not familiar with the Onkyo unit you have mentioned. I would stay away from the Home Theatre stuff only from my own experience its not for 2ch Hi-Fi. At least when I tried using it that way. If thats changed forgive me I have misspoken and need to learn.
Good luck Siobe.
Ron

Last edited:
Back