Reduced Height of Equipment Rack

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOON

Reaction score
Reduced Height of Equipment Rack, Positive Benefits

I have read here many times about either having your equipment on the side wall, not on the wall behind your logans or very low to the floor. I took the advice.

I have a Lovan Soveriegn rack which comes in individual sections which are stackable.I had it as 2 racks side by side with the amp on one section and everything on the other 3 section high rack. I now have made it 3 sections wide so it isn't very high off the floor.I was surprised at the difference this little step made. Thanks to whomever mentioned this on these forums.

The music seems more open now and better soundstaging. I had a problem before where the center of the soundstage wasn't in the center but left of center. I thought maybe the panel was going in the right speaker, but after reducing the height of the racking , this was resolved.

Before, the high rack was to the right of the center which was probably causing the problem. I thought I would just mention this as some others might find it beneficial in their own rooms.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Glad to hear that your soundstage has improved. I know for me, once the audio rack was completly removed from the center and off to a side wall the soundstage was much more involving. If I can help it I will never go back to a rack between the speakers now that I have heard the difference. Of course the trade off for me is longer speaker wire, but the reward is a great soundstage without any negative audible problems with the longer cables. I thought for sure that the longer cables were going to be noticeable even if it was just a little, but that was not the case. This is why I have the signature you see below. Have fun!!!:music:

Glen

Hi Glen,

I totally agree with that signature you have after hearing the difference.I only have 2 sections of rack in the center which would be no more than 20 inches high with the pre and cdp and then the conditioner is to the right on one section and the amp on one section on the left.

If you look at my system , you can see how it was before. I also took the time to Ciag pro gold everything, xlr pins, spade lugs , pc prongs that go into receptacles.I always find this is beneficial also, like a tune up for a car.

Glen, that's a nice room you have. I was wondering approx what size are the triangle traps you have in the corners at the wall - ceiling junction and where did you get them?

Last edited:
Hi Glen,

I totally agree with that signature you have after hearing the difference.I only have 2 sections of rack in the center which would be no more than 20 inches high with the pre and cdp and then the conditioner is to the right on one section and the amp on one section on the left.

If you look at my system , you can see how it was before. I also took the time to Ciag pro gold everything, xlr pins, spade lugs , pc prongs that go into receptacles.I always find this is beneficial also, like a tune up for a car.

Glen, that's a nice room you have. I was wondering approx what size are the triangle traps you have in the corners at the wall - ceiling junction and where did you get them?

Thank you Greg for the kind compliment. The triangles are approximately 15" accross and 18" to the tip. I could be off a little, but I think that's right. The rear corner traps are a different size and I think they are 12" x 12". Again I'm not for certain, but should be close. If you need to know for sure just PM me and I'll measure to verify. As for the maker, my dealer has someone who is in the custom buisness for acoustic panels and he made them for me. If memory serves me correct they were between $50-$75 each. They were well worth the investment and added a nice touch to the room I thought. There were several colors to choose from along with custom sizes if I needed.

Glen

Definately agree as well. A couple of months ago I removed the rack and replaced it with some slabs of sandstone mounted on spikes. The equipment is now spread across the area between the speakers and close to the floor. I immediately noticed that the soundstage was much wider and deeper. The centre image is now more stable.

I now wonder why I never tried this before.

Remote?

I really cant move my electronics away from the wall, but how do you point the remote to the electronics if they are at a 90 degree angle from where you are sitting? Just curious. -Bob.

Back