Help with CLS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the outside strips on the lower part of panel.I would call Jim Powers at Martin Logan and he will give you exact instructions on how to do it.You only want to do the bass sections.If you do any other part of the panel it may ruin it.He will tell you it may or may not work.If not,you can always buy new panels.If you use them for home theater,I would strongly urge that they be crossed over at 100hz.I believe it will drastically extend the life of your panels.Good luck and I hope you enjoy your speakers.

Here's where I am

It is the outside strips on the lower part of panel.I would call Jim Powers at Martin Logan and he will give you exact instructions on how to do it.You only want to do the bass sections.If you do any other part of the panel it may ruin it.He will tell you it may or may not work.If not,you can always buy new panels.If you use them for home theater,I would strongly urge that they be crossed over at 100hz.I believe it will drastically extend the life of your panels.Good luck and I hope you enjoy your speakers.

I spoke to Jim Powers yesterday afternoon (very nice and knowledgeable guy). He doesn't seem to think I have an amplifier problem, and believes it to be a loose panel. He doesn't like to do the "heat treatment", unless absolutely necessary. He told me to first change out panels between speakers. I wasn't too comfortable with this (have a bad back right now), so I skipped it and moved on to his next bit of advice.

He told me to play the track I was having problem with loud enough so the problem was obvious. Run my hands on the back of the panel to feel where the issue is. He said I would be able to feel excessive air movement. I sure did. On both sides of the right speaker, I felt air from the top of the panel to about the mid point of the panel. He told me to take some clear packing tape (2" wide) and stick it on the rear stator in the affected area. He said this would create some resistance to the movement of the mylar. He said that the newer designs have this baffle built in.

I placed the tape over the areas, with an instant improvement. Still wasn't great, but it was much better. I listened to it for a little while like this, then decided that I may have to do the heat treatment, but told him I'd talk to him again before that, just to make sure this was needed.

For the rest of the evening, I put my Denon on it's bass management mode with the x-over (to the LFE) set at 100 Hz. It sounded amazing from the lower mids to the highs, but the lows were lacking (may need to adjust phase of the sub, as the CLS's may be faster than the Maggies). I could also tell that some of the lows were biased towards the side of the room w/ the sub.

I'm closer.

Thanks all,

EP

Latest posts

Back