DIY Horns done my way

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
As not to hijack the other thread, I'll post some more on my 2-channel rig's speakers here.

This all started around Jan 2006. My DIY Brazilian rosewood JBL corner horns were nice but just didn't have the high end sparkle that I wanted. This after my custom Altec A7 Voice of the Theatre didn't were not that great at near field. Imagine that a speaker with a 15 foot bass fold not working well in my living room. So on to a new design.

Baltic birch and MDF with CNC bracing and kerf MDF sides.

w02.jpg

so what is retail if I want to order a pair ??? you know it would have been just about as easy to make two pair while you where at it :)

Fill the kerf with some glass microbeads and spray the interior with rubberized automotive undercoating and add fiberglass batting. These cabinets are DEAD!

w05.jpg

Add JBL 2235H woofers, Altec 802-8G drivers mounted to Altec 511B horns and JBL 077 slot tweeters. Use some perf metal covered with JBL blue grill cloth and they become speakers. Just in a raw state.

w15.jpg

Years later break down and pull the drivers out so I can veneer them, so they look nicer being the focal point of my living room.

w40.jpg

By the way, the veneer is Sapele Pommele. It will darken when the clear finish is added and POP when it has been wet sanded and buffed to a crystal shine.

w38.jpg

Simply gorgeous! I'm doing a pair of amp stands using rotary-cut Pommele veneer, finished a very red shade of brown and picture-framed in Gabon ebony. If I'm feeling truly brave, I may even thru dovetail the miters with some contrasting wood.;)

I assume you're using some form of vacuum press to lay the veneer on the curved surfaces?

/Ken

Simply gorgeous! I'm doing a pair of amp stands using rotary-cut Pommele veneer, finished a very red shade of brown and picture-framed in Gabon ebony. If I'm feeling truly brave, I may even thru dovetail the miters with some contrasting wood.;)

I assume you're using some form of vacuum press to lay the veneer on the curved surfaces?

/Ken

Actually it was all iron on with Better Bond Heat-Lock veneet glue. I first sprayed the pieces with Super-Soft 2 veneer softener. Sandwiched them in butcher paper and pressed them between two solid wood doors that I then placed about 600 pounds on for a few days. The paper wicks the water out and this leaves the veneer almost like leather. It can be cut easily with a utility blade and make very tight bends. I then rolled the glue on the veneer and the cabinet. It was ironed on after it had set (dry to touch).

Thanks for the construction pics. Looking forward to seeing the finished speakers.

The iron on with glue does work very well for those of you that are unsure about trying it. I have never heard of the Better Bond but I would guess it works easier than the Titebond (yellow) glue I have used for this on small pieces. My vacuum press is great for curved pieces but will crush things if you don't have them braced and supported properly.

Very nice indeed, Luther. What with those, the Duettas when done, and your MLs you should be sorted.

Re the Duettas you PM'd me about - what sort of condition are the ribbons in? It would be unusual rather than the norm for them to not require a re-ribbon now we are in 2009.

Very nice indeed, Luther. What with those, the Duettas when done, and your MLs you should be sorted.

Re the Duettas you PM'd me about - what sort of condition are the ribbons in? It would be unusual rather than the norm for them to not require a re-ribbon now we are in 2009.

They need one bass panel. A cat tried to run up it. With all the speakers I have, the Duettas are a least priority project. I'm have already started making new custom aluminum feet and do away with the large flat MDF platforms. The heavy gauge angle iron frames make for some very heavy speakers.

They need one bass panel. A cat tried to run up it. With all the speakers I have, the Duettas are a least priority project. I'm have already started making new custom aluminum feet and do away with the large flat MDF platforms. The heavy gauge angle iron frames make for some very heavy speakers.

Hm... that's bad news as you can't do the bass panels yourself - whereas you can do the MRTWs just by ordering some from Graz.

Sounds like you have the original Duetta. A restorer could bring them up to Sig spec, I believe. But that is going to cost. Also, bear in mind that while the bass panel on the other one may look OK, if it has never been replaced, it probably isn't. The perimeter supporting foam rots. The new ribbon foam supplied by Graz doesn't.

You have no option but to send them to a restorer, I am afraid. Unless you reckon you can make your own ribbons...

I've started the sanding and can't wait to get the gloss on. This stuff looks awesome.

150 grit --> 220 grit --> 320 grit --> 400 grit --> 600 grit

Once the finish is dried it will be 600 grit --> 1000 grit wet sanded --> polish and buff.

The first time I tried sanding a veneer I was far too aggressive and ended up sanding it clean off at the edges.:eek:

Please be very careful.

Back