black threaded rods for audio rack

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
I am looking for black threaded rods & associated parts (nuts/washers)... thinking of making my own rack -- but would like to use black... All the big box hardware stores have is stainless....

Any suggestions? I don't think assembling and then using spray paint with the shelves covered would work too well.

thx. tim.

I am looking for black threaded rods & associated parts (nuts/washers)... thinking of making my own rack -- but would like to use black... All the big box hardware stores have is stainless....

Any suggestions? I don't think assembling and then using spray paint with the shelves covered would work too well.

thx. tim.

Been der done that! Get parts and get them all powder coated. Paint will chip and peel. Especially what your talking about is Galvanized steel. Highly doubt its stainless as it would be expensive as all.

Cap -- where do you go to get something like that? thx. tim.

and how much does that cost? ... forgot that part!!

I haven't checked, but you might want to take a look at www.mcmaster.com (mcmaster-carr). You can search for threaded rod. They deal with the public and pretty much ship everything over night.

I haven't checked, but you might want to take a look at www.mcmaster.com (mcmaster-carr). You can search for threaded rod. They deal with the public and pretty much ship everything over night.

Kruppy -- this is glorious... I couldn't find this anywhere... Yes - they have the black-oxide finish - can get any length/diameter I want... 3/4" 3 footers are 20 bucks each.... Not exactly cheap - proabably about 10 dollars more per rod than home depot of course- but the additional finish would add to that cost... They have the flange nuts/ caps etc..... as well in black oxide.

Yup, McMaster has yet to fail me. They have literally everything, but some things as you've discovered (or will) are expensive.

You might want to check ebay out too. I diy'd my audio rack with very substantial aluminum extrusions (8020 inc) that are typically used in a manufacturing environment. McMaster had 8ft sections for $80+, however, I found the same thing on ebay direct from the company for less that 1/2 of that per 8ft section.

Another industrial supply company (that I just remembered) to check out is www.grainger.com.

thanks ... Since you did a rack .. did you put cones on it for footers ... I have been wrestling with how to put the footers on -- since they can not attach to the steel rods -- unless someone can give me a clue on that... here is another link that I have found handy for this project ... they seem to have a lot of cool things from cable lifts to cones etc.......

http://www.oregondv.com/granitestand.htm

Yes, I did add cones to my rack. The aluminum extrusions that I used are designed to so that a threaded part can be assembled into the ends. The cones I used are from Adona: http://www.adonacorporation.com/tweaks.html

I’m not sure how you’ll be able to add cones, but there’s probably a way.

Here's a picture of my diy rack and amp stand.

Attachments

• Rack%20View%20smaller.jpg
    Rack%20View%20smaller.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 5,634
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 4,269
Last edited:
threading on the cone wouldn't be a problem - I would be using steel threaded rods -- I would have to find out what was needed for the cone.

Last edited:
Great looking racks Kruppy. I have purchased from McMasters in the past and never seen the extrusions. I looked again and still didn't find them. There were aluminum extrusions but nothing that looked like yours. What listing was it under? Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys.

Brad225,
Search McMaster for Structural Framing Systems or Aluminum Fractional (or Metric) T-Slotted Framing Systems. Check pages 1888, 1889 and 1890.

The other option is ebay. Search for 8020 inc and visit their store front: 8020 inc Garage Sale. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from these guys from their ebay site. Very trustworthy and helpfull and in general much cheaper than McMaster.

This framing system might require machining, depending on what you want to do with it. PM me if you need/want more info. I can direct you to more information.

Bob

Last edited:
Kruppy --- you are a gentleman and a schollar -- and also from Michigan.... The one hangup I have on the Salamander stuff is that it is 5/8" rod... I think 1" or 3/4" would be better... but, then I have the cone issue again... Those 5/8" threaded cones is exactly what I was looking for... I just can't figure out how to get the larger hardware and include cones in the mix as well... I saw the Samson audio racks in MapleShade - and it looks like the cone there is something that threads onto the 1" threaded rod... I was hoping to find their parts somewhere to no avail...

One more question for any of you -- if your rods were black - would you stay with black on the other associatiated hardware (washer/nuts) - or would you look for brass (not shiney) or maybe something else to give it a different look? All opinions of course....but maybe someone has some scientific voodoo magic that would make one better than the other.

Back