Integrated Amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger92

Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm considering purchasing a pair of Vantages soon but I don't think I'm financially ready to invest in separates for them, which I would like to do eventually. Any suggestions on certain integrated amps that power Logans well? I had my eye on the Ayre AX-7e.

How much does that Ayre amp go for? $3000 or so?

Are you opposed to buying used?

Assuming your budget is roughly 3k, I think you could assemble a nice system for that much money. Since the vantage has powered woofers, you don't need a really beefy solid state amp - you could even consider a tube amp if that suits your tastes.

I have heard the audio research sp-16 tube pre-amp a number of times and it can usually be bought, used, for around $1500. How about mating that with a BAT vk-200, or a sunfire amp?

As far as integrateds go, you got tons of great choices. I've listened to a few Rotel amps and they are quite decent for the price. NAD ain't half bad for the money either - check out the C372. I have also listened to the Krell 400xi and I think we have a few members who own that amp and enjoy it.

Thanks! I probably will go that route then, preamp/amp separates. I more than likely won't buy anything new, probably used. Thanks again for the feedback

Hi, depending on budget, and on music preferences, the new ARC DSi200 works very well with with the Vantages, my ears, and a wide variety of music. If you are into classical music, listen carefully, as some amps are too bright for that genre and the Vantages. Good luck!

You have virtually unlimited options if you the "separates" route and are not opposed to buying used equipment.

Also, many of the better integrated amps are quite good and you can get an equally pleasant experience from an integrated amp these days. All of the usual caveats apply: everything depends on the aethetics, the budget, space, and, of course, sound.

Erik

Hi, depending on budget, and on music preferences, the new ARC DSi200 works very well with with the Vantages, my ears, and a wide variety of music. If you are into classical music, listen carefully, as some amps are too bright for that genre and the Vantages. Good luck!

Andries,

How does the DSi200 stack up to the AR separates? I am currently running a REFII MKII balanced to a Proceed HPA2 amp.

I think there is a section on Amps in the main menu. you might want to check that out. Also, Jeff Dorgay has written reviews of ML speakers including CLX and Spires and he provides some really good direction on SS and tube amps that seem to be good matches with ML speakers. Check out Tone Audio in the archives.

My personal experience is that SS works better with my Spires, even though I love tube amps and have used them exclusively before getting my Spires. As mentioned above, a very nice combination is a tube preamp and a SS amp.

Good luck!

Andries,

How does the DSi200 stack up to the AR separates? I am currently running a REFII MKII balanced to a Proceed HPA2 amp.

I dont know all the ARC products that well, but I like the ARC - ML combo in principle. To me they work well together as I listen to lots of classical music and have not yeat heard a typical SS amp that works with ML/my ears/classical music. And they also do well with other genres.

I heard ARC Ref 110 with Summit X (cant remember the pre-amp) and they sounded great together. I have not had the opportunity to compare DSi200 with other ARC products side by side, but I would say the DSi 200 have the typical ARC sound (even though it is a class D amp). It just takes forever to burn/settle in (ARC says 600 hours!). I have mine for a week now and it is running 24/7 (low volume during the night) and it is still not nearly as good as the demo one I listened to....

Sorry, not much help.

I dont know all the ARC products that well, but I like the ARC - ML combo in principle. To me they work well together as I listen to lots of classical music and have not yeat heard a typical SS amp that works with ML/my ears/classical music. And they also do well with other genres.

I heard ARC Ref 110 with Summit X (cant remember the pre-amp) and they sounded great together. I have not had the opportunity to compare DSi200 with other ARC products side by side, but I would say the DSi 200 have the typical ARC sound (even though it is a class D amp). It just takes forever to burn/settle in (ARC says 600 hours!). I have mine for a week now and it is running 24/7 (low volume during the night) and it is still not nearly as good as the demo one I listened to....

Sorry, not much help.

thanks for the update. Let me know your thoughts once it is broken in. I have searched for reviews on line, must be to new though.

new Simaudio i7 purchase

I just bought a used Simaudio I7 integrated (150w)
from Audiogon to power my Spires and Montanas. I
have a fairly large room...i listen at moderately loud
levels and it works fine. I was looking for a replacement
for my Musical Fidelity A5 (250w). Below are my early
impressions of the Sim vs MF.

First off....the transaction went smoothly and the heavy
box was in good shape on delivery. The unit itself is
immaculate, not a scratch, looks brand new. The
previous owner said it had less than 75 hours and it
sat in a box for 8 months before my purchase.

How's it sound? A very good match with my Spires.
I've always experienced fatigue with my MF A5, a
subtle harshness that wore on me (with the Spires,
no problem with my Montanas). I can hear a little
more detail with the Sim and the MF is very good in this
area. The Sim is smoother and more refined,
however, it does sound a little veiled in comparison
to the MF. It's like there's an extra level of filtering
to obtain that smoothness. With the MF, music just
pours out of your speakers. There's
nothing held back...it's immediate, raw and lively...
too aggressive for the Spires at times. Don't get me
wrong, the Sim is not polite sounding, just not as
up front as the MF. I like the Sim/Spire combo..i bought
the new Beatles remasters in stereo and the 1st five
albums sound wonderful. Don't need any more
liveliness on those CDs. I guess the perfect amp
would have the Sim's smoothness & ability to extract
detail matched with the A5s live unforced sound and
power.

The MF is a very good amp for the $, around
$2500 new, $1300 used. The Sim is $7500 new...i
bought used for $4200. There's a couple on Agon
right now around that price. I've seen used at around
$3000. Given a choice for the Vantages or Spires, i
would spend the $ and get the Sim. You'll be able
to hear further into the recordings and the smooth
and refined sound mates well with the Martin Logans.

Again, these are my early impressions of the Sim. Once
i've had more time with the amp, i'll give an update.
So far, i'm finally enjoying my Spires after a year of
frustration. I've had the amp less than a month.
I've listened for a couple of weeks thru the Spires,
almost two weeks with the Montanas. So more
to come.

You might audition the 225 watt Anthem integrated
as well. I heard it hooked up to the power hungry
Magnepan 3.6s and it sounded really nice. Pretty
cheap too...only around $2300 new.

Last edited:
Hi Mantana,
If your 1-7 only has 75 hours and a bit , it isn't even broken in yet. Simaudio equipment has a very long break in period. On their website they list 6 weeks 24-7 for your integrated.I can only assume from my personal experience you will be more pleasantly surprised after more burn in.

I usually burn in new Sim equipment 24-7 on a secondary system , but couldn't wait this year when I got the new pre. Incidently, Simaudio has a new integrated, the 700i at 175 watts that has a list of $11000 which you can see on their site www.simaudio.com under new products or in the evolution equipment.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Hi Mantana,
Simaudio equipment has a very long break in period. On their website they list 6 weeks 24-7 for your integrated. Cheers, Greg

OMG.......:eek:.......what on earth requires in excess of 1000 hrs for 'break-in', were these things kept in a Canadian Iceberg and need thawing out ??

Bernard, if you're reading this I suspect you too are having a good...:ROFL:

OMG.......:eek:.......what on earth requires in excess of 1000 hrs for 'break-in', were these things kept in a Canadian Iceberg and need thawing out ??

Bernard, if you're reading this I suspect you too are having a good...:ROFL:

that's funny! sometimes I think the whole break in is more for the customer than the amp ;)

Hi Mantana,
If your 1-7 only has 75 hours and a bit , it isn't even broken in yet. Simaudio equipment has a very long break in period. On their website they list 6 weeks 24-7 for your integrated.I can only assume from my personal experience you will be more pleasantly surprised after more burn in.

I usually burn in new Sim equipment 24-7 on a secondary system , but couldn't wait this year when I got the new pre. Incidently, Simaudio has a new integrated, the 700i at 175 watts that has a list of $11000 which you can see on their site www.simaudio.com under new products or in the evolution equipment.
Cheers, Greg

the 700i is too rich for my blood....seems for the extra $3500
they could have bumped the power to 250W into 8 ohms and 400w
into 4....i pulled the spec sheets of both 700i and I7....most
most specs were the exact same. $750 more i could justify, not
$3500.

i looked at my manual and it did say the I7 needs 400 hours of
break-in....i like it a lot so far...if the sound improves, all
the better....

Last edited:
not really expecting much improvement with more hours on the Sim...sounds
a lot like the unit i auditioned for a few days. Has a nice smooth sound,
great with vocals, but still a little subdued or muted
at times...just doesn't have the jump factor of the MF A5. You'd
think an amp costing 3X as much as the A5 would better it
in ALL areas.

believe that's only 100 watts....for my room, 150w is the lowest
i would want....i've heard the Bryston's a good amp though.

Attachments

• securedownload-6.jpg
    securedownload-6.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 593
Simaudio i7

Hey, Mantana, glad to hear you're liking the i7. Believe we exchanged a few emails awhile back re. harshness w/Spires. I orginally paired mine w/a Krell S300i and found the presentation overly bright. Sold both, kept my Vantages and picked up the i7 - totally different league.

What CDP are you using? I've the Supernova (replaced Cambridge 840c) and couldn't be happier.

Hey, Mantana, glad to hear you're liking the i7. Believe we exchanged a few emails awhile back re. harshness w/Spires. I orginally paired mine w/a Krell S300i and found the presentation overly bright. Sold both, kept my Vantages and picked up the i7 - totally different league.

What CDP are you using? I've the Supernova (replaced Cambridge 840c) and couldn't be happier.

I have the Musical Fidelity A5 CD....i've always really liked it's sound.
Mates well with the Sim, too.

Now that you have the Sim, do you wish you had kept the Spires
and sold the Vantages? Did you buy the Sim new or used ? I bought
used but got lucky...it's flawless.

Latest posts

Back