bi amping prodigies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathy

Reaction score
for some time i have been toying with the idea of buying a second krell fpb 400cx (second hand) so i can have each fpb driving a single speaker ie left channel for woofer and right channel for the panel. has anyone done this with either fpb's or other high powered amps and what were the results. many thanks for your thoughts.
cheers
Phil

welcome to the club there is a great deal of information and opinions to be had here.
As a former owner of Prodigy's running them with a 400cx I never felt the need for more power the krell never seemed strained even during extended listening sessions { I had the heat sinks at 170 degrees more than once ] the money may be better spent on your upstream components and cabeling. I am sure that when you post your system there will be more suggestions.

Enjoy the music and trust your ears.

my system: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169

for some time i have been toying with the idea of buying a second krell fpb 400cx (second hand) so i can have each fpb driving a single speaker ie left channel for woofer and right channel for the panel. has anyone done this with either fpb's or other high powered amps and what were the results. many thanks for your thoughts.
cheers
Phil

Hola Phil and welcome...In some point I agreed with kenscollick. What you describe is a vertical connection. I think it would be more dynamic, your Krell has a lot of juice. It is important to have volume control for at least one power amp...and Krell does not offer this advantage. Just thinking loud, you might could get an electronic crossover, so with it, you could use the same connection and also having the possibility to control the level for bass or the panels...happy listening, and yes, trust your ears!!!
Roberto.

I have my Monolith III bi-amped with an external active crossover. After switching from one amp and a passive crossover the difference is night and day. For the Monolith bi-amping with an active crossover is the only way to go. The passive x-over with a single amp sounded OK. With the active x-over and bi-amped the speakers have come to life. Much more detail and more cohesive.

See link below to see the system.

I think you will definitely hear a sonic improvement bi-amping the prodigies with those particular Krell amps.

Having heard the Prodigies with your amp,MANY MANY hrs I can tell you this. $$$ will be much better spent on up stream equipment than $4k on a bass amp.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Very helpfull and i'm inclined to stick with the single fpb. For info the rest of the system its audio synthesis dax discrete dac and audio synthesis transport. Cables are transparent music wave ultra throughout. Any suggestions on other equipment/cables to try out?

Back