System #206 - Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Lee and Cathy

2. Location: Arvada, CO USA

3. ML Models: Vantage (Black on Black) Mains and Fresco i's (Black) Rears

4. Year Purchased: 2007/2009

5. Mods/Changes: e-Ticket Jumpers

6. Associated Electronics:
Sony ES-Series AVR (Pre/Pro)
Pass Labs X-250 Amp (110 lbs of love)
LG 50" HD Plasma
Klipsch Sub (Rear)
KEF (Center)
Sony 400 Disc DVD/SACD/CD (Movies)
Sony 400 Disc DVD/SACD/CD (Audio)
Denon CD
Motorola HD/DVR (Comcast)
Belkin PF40 Power Handling Unit (Audio)
Belkin PF40 Power handling Unit (Video)

7. Cables & Connections:
Audioquest Type 8 cables
Audioquest Copperhead Interconnects
Signal Cable Magic Power Powercord
HDMI Cables

8. Room Treatments
ATS Panels (4 each)
Auralex SubDude

9. Furniture:
Bell'O rack
TVI Amp Stand
Antique Chinese Cabinet

10. Comments about our Martin Logan experience: We are longtime fans of Martin Logans. Hoping to learn more about them and getting great suggestions from the other ML members; great group of owners in here. Thanks Tim for your ears. Brad, I appreciate the spike cups!

Attachments

• Pass light.JPG
    Pass light.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,591
  • rack side.JPG
    rack side.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 1,594
  • straight on.JPG
    straight on.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,610
  • entire front area.JPG
    entire front area.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,596
Last edited:
Welcome Lee, your blk on blk blends very well !

Congrats Kaboom =D And glad you made it home from Iraq safely!

It looks wonderful!

How is the jumper-tweak changing the sound?

Lee,

The system looks great! Seems my e-mail on how to post pics was descriptive enough. Excellent, clean set up that probably sounds every bit as good as it looks.

Let's set up a Colorado GTG soon!

Tim

Edited the system pics

Look again, I cleared up the pics of my Vantage system.

Here is an additional picture; the Master bedroom theatre. No Logans up there yet (so far, smile) just Philips 42" ambi, Sony ES AVR, Monster Surge and Jamo in-walls.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,354
Last edited:
Niice system! I really like the simple color scheme! Clean, neat, and well positioned.

Coool....

Joey :)

Nice clean system!

How does the KEF center and the Klipsch sub blend with the Vantages?

Nice clean system!

How does the KEF center and the Klipsch sub blend with the Vantages?

Good morning Doug, Thanks for your question.

I received my Logans in August. But, after initial setup and positioning I only got to enjoy them for about 21 days before I had to return to Iraq. As you know with Logans my initial impression was of awe and incredible improvement over my previous speakers.
I think the Klipsch and KEF are holding up very well in "Home Theatre" use with the Vantages. I am going to try some more level tweaking and positioning.
I return home again for vacation on DEC 1st and I have several improvements to put in place that first week I am home: Adding a Pass Labs X-250, Audioquest IC's, Amp isolation stand, spike cups, moving the Klipsch sub 10 feet forward, moving the left Vantage about 2.5 feet right (closer to center), and trying my new radio shack SPL meter..... wish me luck, hoping for good results.
Thanks, Lee

I think the Klipsch and KEF are holding up very well in "Home Theatre" use with the Vantages. I am going to try some more level tweaking and positioning.

I'm happy to hear that they pair up well with the Vantages. Based on information from others on this site I am also doing some tweaking with positioning toe-in etc.

I return home again for vacation on DEC 1st and I have several improvements to put in place that first week I am home: Adding a Pass Labs X-250, Audioquest IC's, Amp isolation stand, spike cups, moving the Klipsch sub 10 feet forward, moving the left Vantage about 2.5 feet right (closer to center), and trying my new radio shack SPL meter..... wish me luck, hoping for good results.
Thanks, Lee

Lee - Sounds like some awesome upgrades! I do not have any experience with the Pass amps but I hear they are excellent and a great match for the Vantages. Good luck and happy listening! By the way are you serving or working in Iraq?

Lee - Sounds like some awesome upgrades! I do not have any experience with the Pass amps but I hear they are excellent and a great match for the Vantages. Good luck and happy listening! By the way are you serving or working in Iraq?

It was a tough decision between the Pass or the Plinius amps. I read every review for both, and received great intel from other ML club owners. But, finally it came down to finding a really great deal and an excellent Pass Labs Dealer.
Hoping to get Tim (MiTT) over soon for a listen. Maybe a Colorado G2G!
Yep, did a previous 20-years serving (retired at 37); now working here by choice since 2005.:duh:

Lee

It was a tough decision between the Pass or the Plinius amps. I read every review for both, and received great intel from other ML club owners. But, finally it came down to finding a really great deal and an excellent Pass Labs Dealer.
Hoping to get Tim (MiTT) over soon for a listen. Maybe a Colorado G2G!
Yep, did a previous 20-years serving (retired at 37); now working here by choice since 2005.:duh:

Lee

Good luck with the new amp Lee and thank you for your service to our country!

Thanks Lee!

Lee and his wife Cathy had Sandy and I over this past weekend for some great food, spirited games of darts and a listen to Lee's fine system. Thanks Lee and Cathy!

First let me say that Lee's new Pass amp is one Sexy Beast! I've always loved the look of the Pass amps, but this is the first time I've seen one in anything other than show or retail conditions. It looks great in Lee's room, but that wouldn't matter if it didn't make great music. Not a problem, the tunes flow through it just fine!

Lee's got a little bit of a problematic room in that the left side has a large picture window in the area where the first reflection is likely taking place, and an opening to his dining room on the right side. Since this is primarily a living space the speakers are a little close to the front wall so that traffic can pass unabated. Still though, I was impressed with the synergy and coherence of Lee's Vantages in this room, especially when playing multichannel SACD's and DVD's. "Dark Side of the Moon" was rendered with great authority; it's a treat to hear it in the multi-channel mix on SACD. Likewise, the Eagles on DVD was something to see and hear. His KEF center channel does a great job of blending with the Vantages making for a very convincing acoustic space with plenty of soundstage depth.

At any rate, it was great to hear yet another members system and make a new aquaintance. Thanks again Lee!

Last edited:
Tim, Your very thoughtful for reviewing my system. What a pleasure having you and Sandy at our home.
I posted the pics of the system now that is moved around.

Lee

I added the Signal Cable "Magic Power" Powercord to my Pass Labs amp. Says to allow 50 hours of burn-in.
I hope my ears are good enough to hear a different, if not then at least it looks really sturdy and cool. Nice to have a custom length, less clutter.

Lee

We took advantage of the "buy one, get one free" offer and scored a pair of black Fresco i's for the rears.

We added 2 each, 24"x24" ATS panels and 2 each, 24"x48" ATS panels in the Camel microsuede. Added these behind the Vantages.

We placed a Subdude under the stand alone subwoofer; it helped on the hardwood floor.

Lee

We took advantage of the "buy one, get one free" offer and scored a pair of black Fresco i's for the rears.

We added 2 each, 24"x24" ATS panels and 2 each, 24"x48" ATS panels in the Camel microsuede. Added these behind the Vantages.

We placed a Subdude under the stand alone subwoofer; it helped on the hardwood floor.

Lee

Very nice looking system Lee, and congratulations on your new purchases. I'm sure the improvements will help continue you on your path to sonic nirvana. The Vantage's are excellent speakers and perform even better when paired with a treated room. I have some of the same ATS panels that you do and they work great. Enjoy!:music:

Glen

Hi - Nice Clean System. Quick question for you. I was doing some sound testing the other day and discovered that my Vantages have a dip between 60 and 70 hz. Between 30 and 50 hz the SPL is above 75db and then drops below 65db between 60 and 70 hz and then goes back up. Have you noticed this problem? BTW, I have been thinking about adding the PASS LABS X250, great choice for an amp.

Thanks.

:bowdown:

Back