Interconnect cables, Do expensive cables like Gryphon Guideline Reference (Aus $2000)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

luke

I have a pair of monolith 3s run by a classe pre/power combination it sound great. im currently using monster interlink referrence cables. My local hi fi shops recommend changing my cables to gryphon guideline reference, at $2000 australian a pair they are not cheap. Are cables this expensive worth the money? Please help im confused!

Cables make more of a difference than most people think. If you can afford more expensive cables you will hear a difference that is worthy of your money. I do not know anything about the brand you reference but I can tell you that Transparent Cable Brand is wonderful and worth every penny that you can afford. If you have a transparent dealer near you, they usually have loaner cables so you can try it out in your own system. Hope this helps

Check out fatwyre.com

This site / also known as the Cable Company, offers a myriad of choices for wire, etc. in all price ranges. You can contact them, discuss your particular system, and have cables shipped to your home for "audition" to see if you like what you hear. It's all about "synergy" with your particular system, room acoustics, etc. Expensive cables MAY OR MAY NOT improve the overall sound of your system.

You might want to also try Mapleshade. I use their products in my Summit based system and really like what I hear. They have a 30 day, no risk, money back gaurantee on their products. Good luck and happy listening.

GG

Luke Yes cables do make a difference but as stated above there has too be a synergy with the rest of your system. I am not sure that i would jump right into a $2000 cable.
Most cable brands have a "signature" that runs through tha cable line. There is no such thing as a bad cable once you start paying the premium price.
you will also notice a brand loyalty among the members. I am currently using Synergistic Researech in my system and am very satisfied with the results.

It is all up to the person and when it comes to cables I think they make no difference but that is just me.

You will get as many different responses as there are different people responding. My opinion is that they do make a difference, but not in the same league as spending the same money on upgrades elsewhere in the system - eg. a $2,000 better source will in my opinion better the money spent on $2,000 cables.

That said, it is all about synergy and the same cable could give completely different results in two different systems. That said, I would never use crap cables in my system. The best way is to try them out in your system and return them if you think they don't improve your sound by $2,000 worth.

It;s been stated many times that more $$$ are spent on cables , power cords, etc vs. paying attention to room accoustics for example. If your system and it's listening enviroment are all properly set-up that's one thing, if not, NO cable or interconnect in the world is worth that kind of $$$.

twich54 said:
It;s been stated many times that more $$$ are spent on cables , power cords, etc vs. paying attention to room accoustics for example. If your system and it's listening enviroment are all properly set-up that's one thing, if not, NO cable or interconnect in the world is worth that kind of $$$.

Amen brother!

I was about to post the exact same thing.

Also, a Monolith needs a lot more than a $2K cable to sound its best.

My Monoliths finally sound astounding, way better than when I first got them and placed them in the same room they are now.

Since I first got them I've:

Upgraded Acoustics (always the first thing to do)
Upgraded the crossovers, ditched the passives went active
Upgraded the crossovers again, to speaker processors (DBX DR 260)
Upgraded the woofers
Upgraded the woofers (again, to model that plays higher)
Upgraded the Panels (just $890 for new panels, cheap)
Upgraded room acoustics (again)

Through this time, I’ve been running some 10ga Monster speaker cable. Nothing special.

Someone wanted to audition their mondo expensive (AudioQuest, I think it was) cable. No real difference that we could tell. And the system is ultra-revealing of upstream changes. My friend returned his expensive cables and got some room treatments instead.

I see expensive cables as Jewelry, nice to have if you can afford the bling, but really does nothing in terms of clothing you.
First, spend the money on clothes, then jewelry.

Most systems are naked and the owners are arguing about which gold necklace to buy.

JonFo said:
Amen brother!

Through this time, I’ve been running some 10ga Monster speaker cable. Nothing special.

Someone wanted to audition their mondo expensive (AudioQuest, I think it was) cable. No real difference that we could tell. And the system is ultra-revealing of upstream changes. My friend returned his expensive cables and got some room treatments instead.

I see expensive cables as Jewelry, nice to have if you can afford the bling, but really does nothing in terms of clothing you.

Most systems are naked and the owners are arguing about which gold necklace to buy.

Hi,
I found much the same thing. Several friends and I spent a full weekend doing a true 'blind' A/B test of several cables. One person swapping cables, the rest listening, and taking notes. All wires were terminated with banana plugs to make swapping quick and simple. At the end of the weekend, the results were completely random (no wire getting more than 60% of the votes), with the ONLY exception being wire gauge, when two cables were tested that were different gauges, the thicker wire consistantly got more votes. However when either of those wires were tested against different wires of the same gauge, the results were once again random. So in the testing we did, the only factor that mattered was the wire gauge, the heavier the better. Your mileage may vary...:)

Peter

JonFo said:

That's a great analogy...

with the ONLY exception being wire gauge, when two cables were tested that were different gauges, the thicker wire consistantly got more votes. However when either of those wires were tested against different wires of the same gauge, the results were once again random. So in the testing we did, the only factor that mattered was the wire gauge, the heavier the better.

Most people will assume that a difference in volume equals better sound, if you volume match every cable they would all sound the same in my opinion.

Maybe it is me but $2000 for cables and I know you can spend alot more is just crazy IMHO. Fix the room upgrade the gear but that much or more on cables :eek:

Interconnects, Do expensive cables like Gryphon Reference

Luke: Good evening. I have found, IMHO, that room setups with the proper traps and reflective surfaces and rugs, drapes, etc really make for a greater difference in sound than these very "exotic" cables. My rooms sound certainly changed for the better when curtains were added to my skylights. Forgive me when I say I don't really buy into the idea, "the more you spend the better the product should be" shopping guide. Would this "Hi-Fi" shop let you try them out for awhile?
Here is an additional site to have a look at that may be cause for some concern; but its only meant to open up more discussion and get more opinions than to challenge or insite anyone.
"The Truth About Interconnects and Cables
Cables, Interconnects & Other Stuff - The Truth
Rod Elliott - Copyright (c) 1999 - 2004
Nov 16, 2004"
This may be taken with a grain or ton of salt. But like my post its only another opinion, and your wallet will make the final choice. Good luck.

Hi Luke,

I presume your local shop is on Parramatta Rd. I would be very careful with any advice from there. By all means try the cables but I strongly suspect that your $2000 is better spent elsewhere.

I'm in the cables make a difference camp but not very much difference. It is a subtle phenomenon not very amenable to A/B testing (little is) and it is easy to be pressurised by a salesman telling you what to hear.

Kevin

Had a glance at the Gryphon site. It is just a shielded solid core teflon wrapped silver cable. If you want to try something similar at 1/10 of the price I can personally recommend Osborn interconnects.

http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/ (click on cabling)

Local (Melbourne), full refund if you find it does not suit. Works well with Plinius into Monoliths. I find them considerably better than the Audio Analysis Silver Oval and balanced Audioquest Diamond both of which we still have.

Big disclaimer - I have never heard so called supercables in either of our systems. I have heard opinions from people I trust i.e. recognise their own bias, have been known to do an about face when hearing a great system etc, who maintain that you can do better but at such a cost.

Cables are the last thing you worry about in your system.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back