New CLS Frames

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to create this thread as a few posts so I can keep the discriptions with the photos. Sorry if it takes me a while to post the complete project.

For the last year I have been thinking about making new frames for my CLSIIz's. After building bases for them it was a clear improvement in the low end as others had described. The bases I built were more functional than attractive as I was looking for something I build over a weekend. This is how my CLS's looked with their bases.

Attachments

• CLS stands 001 (Medium).jpg
    CLS stands 001 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,383
I had a few ideas of how I could build the frames. Knowing they needed to keep the panels at the current height my design had to work out how to deal with the distance from the bottom of the panel to the floor. If I was to make it a solid panel my choices were whether to use an even grained wood to make it blend in to the frame and not draw any attention or use a highly figured material and have the frame be the focal point. As I processed different ideas I decided I wanted to hopefully narrow frames but still have a frame that appeared to hold the panel but without having it look to beefy and out of proportion. I am pleased with the results but don't expect everyone to think this is an improvement.

My drawing skills seemed to stop improving in about 3rd grade so this drawing of the proportions and design is rather basic. Fortunately my woodworking abilities are much better than my ability to draw. And my apologies to any of you with children in 3rd grade for comparing my drawing to theirs.

This shows my current CLS on its stand in the middle with the same design on either side while I was deciding whether to do it in a light wood or black. The base on the drawing is clearly a bit much but I knew I would work that out as I went along.

I was unable to attach the drawing after scanning it as it became a tif file and I have no idea how to change that so I took a picture and loaded it in to the computer. That is why aside from my bad drawing the picture looks a bit wanky.

Attachments

• CLS design drawings 001 (Medium).jpg
    CLS design drawings 001 (Medium).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,949
This is where I am at today with them. I have a couple of details to finish but they are comming along.
Tomorrow I will post some of the construction pics I took for any of you that are interested.

Attachments

• CLS construction pics 008 (Medium).jpg
    CLS construction pics 008 (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,857
  • CLS frames painted and assembled 010 (Medium).jpg
    CLS frames painted and assembled 010 (Medium).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,863
  • CLS frames painted and assembled 012 (Medium).jpg
    CLS frames painted and assembled 012 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,934
  • CLS frames painted and assembled 020 (Medium).jpg
    CLS frames painted and assembled 020 (Medium).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,854
  • CLS frames painted and assembled 021 (Medium).jpg
    CLS frames painted and assembled 021 (Medium).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,891
Incredible! Gorgeous! I presume you'll be housing the electronics and crossover in a separate box. Can't wait to see/hear them!

Last edited:
Is the bottom panel active or is it just fto match the looks and get the cls off of the floor? Looks great. Man I wish I had skills like this.

absolutely fantastic. i really like the perf metal on the bottom. when i was toying around with stand designs (before i got sacked and lost time to do that sort of thing) i also looked at perf metal to fill in the space.

but it never looked anything as awesome as that.

rebuilding the frame from scratch to incorporate stands is as brilliant as it is beautiful.

I love the idea. I always thought the CLS was a somewhat strange design insofar as it lacked a built in stand and also that it had a huge frame for no apparent reason - you addressed both of these issues nicely.

It came out very well. Looks awesome. Can't wait to come over and see/hear them.

Do you still need to extend the wires or are they long enough to reach the box?

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

Alan, I will be using the existing electronics box. It will fit in front of the braces and set on the base. The only changes will be adding TechFlex over the wires, Herbie's Tenderfeet under the box for vibration control and a strip of Dyna Mat on the bottom side of the electronics box cover again for vibration control.

Cherian, the bottom panel is for visual effect only. I was concerned with any vibration or rattle from the film once I cut the pieces I needed so I separated the front and back and removed all of the Mylar then sealed them back together. Though the thought did cross my mind, that is way beyond my ability to figure out.

Zaphod, that had been my thought when I was starting to build the stands but I couldn't come up with a design to use enough of the perf metal to make it look right.

Feltran, my guess for the look of the original frame was one of the form following the function to some degree and a very economical construction process. When you figure that it is 4 pieces of wood with the corners glued together that is about as simple as you could get and . Adding curves to any design will immediately add more time and cost than can be justified or charged for in most cases. I think you are right that the frames seem to dominate the appearance especially in smaller rooms that most of us have.

Craig, the wires will be long enough so no need to solder more on. Waiting for the TechFlex is thing holding up the final install.

I'll post some of the pics I took during construction later today.
Thanks again for the comments.

Very well thought out. Braces in the back and well made.

I decided to move them back to the house instead of posting construction pics at this point. It's been a month without the CLS's and listening to the SL3's does not have the same satisfaction factor.

This is them compared to the SL3's. I am going to move out again and start the setup of the CLS's this evening.

Attachments

• CLS SL3 006 (Medium).jpg
    CLS SL3 006 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,837
They remind me of a real sexy Soundlab !With out cloths !

Brad, nice job ! as Cherian said and I concur....... we're envious of your talents !

Absolutely beautiful! Is this the way CLS should have been from the begining?! Anyway great craftmanship and desing.
Could it be possible to operate the lower section panel as additional low frequency driver... although it would contradict the consept of full range panel but still...

About how many hours did you spend on this project, and how wide are the speakers with the new frames?

Last edited:
About how many hours did you spend on this project, and how wide are the speakers with the new frames?

The width of the frame holding the panels is 25 1/2" and the base is 27".

I didn't keep track but I would guess close to 80 hrs. I am a design as you go person so there was also a bunch of head scratching time.

I'd love to see an "Iron Audiophile" competition (a la Iron Chef)... pitting Brad against JonFo in a workshop with assorted woodworking tools, ML panels, and parts, and see what they conjure up!

I'd love to see an "Iron Audiophile" competition (a la Iron Chef)... pitting Brad against JonFo in a workshop with assorted woodworking tools, ML panels, and parts, and see what they conjure up!

Don't forget C.A.P. in that mix. His old Quest mods were a thing of freakin' beauty.

Brad 225 - awesome, awesome work sir, very well done.

Back