Analog Upgrade Bug

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJRapp

Reaction score
Recently I upgraded my CDP from a "good" combination DAC and transport to a world class one box CDP, the Meridian 808. The astonishing difference has left me wondering what I may be missing on the Analog side of my system as well. I've always felt the setup lacked high end extension (this could be the discs themselves) and were a tad mushy in the low mid/upper bass.

I'm currently running a JA Michell Technodec with a Rega 250 arm and a Grado Statement Sonata Cartridge and Cambridge Audio P640 MM/MC phono stage. I could upgrade the tonearm either by the various mods available to the Rega 250, or change the arm out completely for something better. Although I think the Techno is a great TT for the money, I could change it out as well ( I have my eye on a Michell Gyro SE) and then there are a dazzeling array of cartridge possibilities out there. and of course there is the phone stage to consider.

Where to start, what to do, I'm confused .... suggestions anyone?

Last edited:
Jerry, not having heard your set-up and thus not familiar with it I'm inclined to think the following.......... in a pefect world your phono-pre should match with your cartridge (cap., load, etc) and provide the max amount of gain with the least amount of noise / distortion. So if your described shortcomings have been with your set-up since the get-go I wouldn't blame it on cartridge suspension wearing out, rather the cartridge itself or the oveall synergy of cart, arm and table.

Regardless, one idea would be to research cartridges in your budget range, as well compliance matching to your arm, that have been reviewed and meet your sonic criteria.

FWIW, my rather modest cartridge in my set-up exhibits none of the shortcomings you have mentioned. Could I get further improvement in all areas of the freq spectrum, no doubt, but for the present I am very satisfied.

Cartridges that I have heard and really like include..Benz-Micro, Lyria, Shelter, DynaVector. We have several members using the Koetsu line that I'm sure they can give you their thoughts as well.

If you go Gyro, you can do the upgrades I list on the link from my system below at some stage too... give it a read to get some ideas.

Start with the cartridge. Although I do like the Grado's. What is the output?

I have both a Statement Sonata (.5mv) and a Reference Platinum (5mv). I really don't think the RB250 arm is allowing the Sonata to shine. It's sort of like putting Perelli P Zeros on a Toyota Camry, one can't expect the Camry to become a Ferrari no matter how good the tires are. I may start with either a better arm or one or more of the many upgrades available for the RB250. This should give me a better platform with which to explore better cartridges.

The other more costly option is to sell off everything and start from scratch at a much higher level. If I do the Gyro it probably would be a newer one not a vintage one.

Last edited:
and start from scratch at a much higher level. If I do the Gyro it probably would be a newer one not a vintage one.

There's practically no difference between the old and new. The main difference is the motor. The inverted bearing is exactly the same now as it was 18 years ago. Everything else is pretty much exactly the same, really - hence the ability to swap old with new.

BTW: great deck but it is a dust magnet, therefore my advice it NOT to get an SE.

I totally agree with your arm assertion. The Morch DP6 is a great match if you can afford it, and it blows the Rega away...

Last edited:
BTW: great deck but it is a dust magnet, therefore my advice it NOT to get an SE.

Arn't they all??? My TechnoDec is a dust magnet also. The Techno is really an excellent Dec, the main difference between it and the Gyro being the suspension, and of course the look. A lot of people swear by a spring suspended TT like the Gyro.

The analog upgrade path is pretty straight up until you hit about $40k for table, arm, cartridge and phono pre.

There are certainly points of synergy along the way, and some combinations perform better than others.

The big questions would be:

How much vinyl do you have?

How much more do you plan on adding?

And last but not least, are you a tinkerer or not?

If you aren't, do you have someone local who can
really dial in your analog playback system, should
it be beyond your capabilities or patience?

Again, if you are a tinkerer, the sky's the limit
on options. Some things require a lot more screwing
around than others.

Sorry to banter on, but I have been in many Michell demos - but the last one I went to was just before Jon Michell died.

The "classic" Gyro combination as used by Michell is simply the following: SME Series IV or V, and a basic Koetsu Red. Pretty much impossible to be disappointed in that setup, given a good phono stage. That combo will give your Meridian a really, really hard time. It will sound different to the Meridian, but you will ask yourself serious questions about analog versus digital, and probably (only a guess, though) prefer the analog.

But as Tonepub says, the sky is pretty much the limit.

One of our guys has an Orbe with an SME V and it is a very nice
combination. I believe he has a Koetsu Rosewood. Nice and romantic,
a little dark for me, but great overall.

There really are a ton of great options!

One of our guys has an Orbe with an SME V and it is a very nice
combination. I believe he has a Koetsu Rosewood. Nice and romantic,
a little dark for me, but great overall.

There really are a ton of great options!

I'm seeking something neutral and airy in a cartridge. I think the Grados are fine...just a bit warm but lacking top end extension.

If you really want to become a vinyl junkie, think about keeping the table you have now, with a nice warm cart like a Grado or Clearaudio Wood for playing bargain and/or kind of harsh records and getting a better table/arm/cart/pre combination for playing the pristine records!

It can get addictive.

If you really want to become a vinyl junkie, think about keeping the table you have now, with a nice warm cart like a Grado or Clearaudio Wood for playing bargain and/or kind of harsh records and getting a better table/arm/cart/pre combination for playing the pristine records!

It can get addictive.

Actually, we are on the same page. I have room in my office for a turntable and already have an amp and speakers that are less critical and therefore more suitable to much of the older vynil I have. In my prior home my analog system was in my office where I could just turn around on my swivel chair and cue the arm. When I moved to this house and established my higer end 2 channel rig, the TT naturally became part of that. However, it has fallen into disuse over the past year due to the necessity of my getting up and changing discs every 12-15 mins. Arn't I the lazy one.

Now all I need to do is find the $$ for a whole new upscale analog rig...that could be the real challenge.

In my worthless opinion, I feel that MM carts leave something to be desired in the top-end extension. Even on affordable tables like a the Regas and ProJects, a fine MC provides better and clarity.

I have been demo'ing tables for quite a while now and have decided that VanDaRo likes the sound of VPI tables and arms. So I'm saving up... $1500 in the "table fund" so far, prolly gonna need another grand to get what I REALLY want.

Pray for me, for I am completely friggin' bat-sh*t insane. I want a Scout Signature....

~VDR

Recently I upgraded my CDP from a "good" combination DAC and transport to a world class one box CDP, the Meridian 808. The astonishing difference has left me wondering what I may be missing on the Analog side of my system as well. I've always felt the setup lacked high end extension (this could be the discs themselves) and were a tad mushy in the low mid/upper bass.

I'm currently running a JA Michell Technodec with a Rega 250 arm and a Grado Statement Sonata Cartridge and Cambridge Audio P640 MM/MC phono stage. I could upgrade the tonearm either by the various mods available to the Rega 250, or change the arm out completely for something better. Although I think the Techno is a great TT for the money, I could change it out as well ( I have my eye on a Michell Gyro SE) and then there are a dazzeling array of cartridge possibilities out there. and of course there is the phone stage to consider.

Where to start, what to do, I'm confused .... suggestions anyone?

Call Larry down in Hollywood( Hollywood Sound ) and talk to him . I just went through all of it upgraded my whole analog rig

Call Larry down in Hollywood( Hollywood Sound ) and talk to him . I just went through all of it upgraded my whole analog rig

Larry sold me my current rig slightly over 2 years ago. His current inventory has nothing that excites me.

It can get addictive.

I can't really agree with this Tonepub, some of the best sounding and best music I have on albums is from those I bought at a "bargain." A good table will make every album sound as it should. As I see it the problem with the pristine records theory is that you can end up with 50 to 100 audiophile approved records to play on the better table/arm/cart/pre combination while missing so much music and emotion on the other much more numerous albums that aren't pristine and only get played on the second system.

How many of us know guys with $10000 analog rigs and 100-200 audiophile approved albums? The sound vs. music trap.

I can't really agree with this Tonepub, some of the best sounding and best music I have on albums is from those I bought at a "bargain." A good table will make every album sound as it should. As I see it the problem with the pristine records theory is that you can end up with 50 to 100 audiophile approved records to play on the better table/arm/cart/pre combination while missing so much music and emotion on the other much more numerous albums that aren't pristine and only get played on the second system.

How many of us know guys with $10000 analog rigs and 100-200 audiophile approved albums? The sound vs. music trap.

You can disagree all you want, but I don't think you were getting the point.

Yes any good turntables will make records sound "As they should".

I'm not talking about the 50 "audiophile approved" records. What I am talking about is the guys that have the amazing collections with a lot of low number stampers of their favorite records.

I've spent enough time with these records (though I don't own as many as I would like) to hear a big difference between those and the bargain records you buy at a used record store for 1-5 dollars.

The point I was trying to make is that I would stop my spending at a certain point if you don't have a collection of pristine records, because it's wasted money.

If your collection consists of mostly bargain records, spending more than $5-10k on an analog front end (table, arm, cartridge and phono preamp) will only give you marginal improvement in resolution, because the information is not in the pressing.

We've compared enough tables side by side and the other major point of diminishing returns is the software. If you have original or very low number pressings in pristine shape, there is more info to hear. If you have bargain pressings, they will still sound ok-good, but that's the best you can hope for.

When we had the Continuum, the Spiral Groove and the SME20 to compare side by side with the Rega P9, using identical $5000 Dynavector XV-1s cartridges, the difference between the big bucks tables and the P9 was pretty major with the great records. With the budget records, not so big.

I'm not a record snob. 2/3rds of my record collection is average, but I've spent plenty of time with the record collectors that have the good stuff and it's not having 50 audiophile approved pressings, it's having a large collection of AMAZING records.

The bad news is that most of these jewels are gone, or are fetching such high prices on Ebay, etc. that they really aren't worth buying. The other bad news is that a lot of these original pressings sound even better than the new remastered versions. But fortunately those records are much better than the $5 stuff. Every now and then you get lucky and will find a low stamper number of something you love and the guy behind the record counter won't know what he's got, but those days are few and far inbetween.

So again, that's why I'd quantify someone's record collection as a legitimate question in how far to take an analog front end.

Conversely, if you are listening to an SL1200, Rega P3 or Scout, I wouldn't pay a fortune for records, because you don't have enough resolution to hear that big of a difference.

Really, the sweet spot in the vinyl gig if you don't have the killer record collection is about $3-10k for the whole deal. You can get good enough sound to really enjoy analog and probably (depending on your digital front end) get better sound than your digital front end too.

Believe me, if I could go back in time, I'd have paid a lot more attention to what I was buying on vinyl 25 years ago. The guys I know with these records bought em back when they WERE four dollar records in the used bin.

Believe me, if I could go back in time, I'd have paid a lot more attention to what I was buying on vinyl 25 years ago. The guys I know with these records bought em back when they WERE four dollar records in the used bin.

If I could look back in time,12 years ago I wouldn't have sold off my roughly 1000 lp collection for peanuts like I did. Like most people I thought that vinyl was dead and digital was the future. A few years before I had sold my TT, a Rotel with Shure V15 II.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification.

The point I was trying to make is that I would stop my spending at a certain point if you don't have a collection of pristine records, because it's wasted money.

As would I, the law of diminishing returns is alive and well.

If your collection consists of mostly bargain records, spending more than $5-10k on an analog front end (table, arm, cartridge and phono preamp) will only give you marginal improvement in resolution, because the information is not in the pressing.

Agree completely.

When we had the Continuum, the Spiral Groove and the SME20 to compare side by side with the Rega P9, using identical $5000 Dynavector XV-1s cartridges, the difference between the big bucks tables and the P9 was pretty major with the great records. With the budget records, not so big.

Unfortunately that is a price level that I am completely unfamiliar with and have no ability to attain (lottery excepted).

The bad news is that most of these jewels are gone, or are fetching such high prices on Ebay, etc. that they really aren't worth buying. The other bad news is that a lot of these original pressings sound even better than the new remastered versions. But fortunately those records are much better than the $5 stuff. Every now and then you get lucky and will find a low stamper number of something you love and the guy behind the record counter won't know what he's got, but those days are few and far in between.

So again, that's why I'd quantify someone's record collection as a legitimate question in how far to take an analog front end.

Conversely, if you are listening to an SL1200, Rega P3 or Scout, I wouldn't pay a fortune for records, because you don't have enough resolution to hear that big of a difference.

The collection is a valid point of reference in deciding the price of an analog front end (a point I have made in other posts actually). Just check the prices of original Blue Notes, Columbia Six-Eyes, London Blue Backs, etc and I'd be a fool to disagree.

Really, the sweet spot in the vinyl gig if you don't have the killer record collection is about $3-10k for the whole deal. You can get good enough sound to really enjoy analog and probably (depending on your digital front end) get better sound than your digital front end too.

Absolutely, I would think that this price range will give you 80% of the sound from a super high-end combo at 1/4 to 1/2 the price.

Wouldn't we all. I luckily kept all of my early purchases (never giving in to the digital mania) and have quite a few "pristine" early stampers in my collection.

Back