has anybody ever heard and seen one of these "VPI classic"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH_MAN

Reaction score
I am now interested in purchasing a new TT something higher end that will be worth putting a really good cartridge on I think I have settled on this model as I feel it fits the rest of my 2 channel gear. what I would like to know is if any of you have any negative or positive input as this is very welcome to me before I purchase. this is in the price range I would like to spend $2,500.00 without a cartridge. to me it seams like a good buy but I like to reflect my ideas on the masses of real people and not just reviewers as I cannot see one before I purchase. anyway thanks again.

BTW the platter is 20lbs

Attachments

• vpiclassic1.jpg
    vpiclassic1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,627
Last edited:
I saw and heard a number of them at RMAF this year. Great looking table and definitely a healthy dose of the VPI house sound which I happen to favor; very well focused, great pace and deep bass while being virtually immune to vibration and quiet as a tomb.

I personally like the ID of the black and stainless Aries and HRX series, but the Classic is a looker too.

Very warm sound, much more so than the Scout or Scout master. As you already have tubed McIntosh gear, it may be too much of a good thing with your setup if you don't pick the right cartridge.

Will you keep the cartridge you have or go with something different? I'd suggest something like a Sumiko Blackbird. It's a high output moving coil which would work with your mac perfectly. (do you have a 2200 or 2300?) If 2300 you've got more options with the MC stage built in.

If you do have a 2300, think about a Lyra Dorian. They are about 1100 bucks. or a Dynavector 17D3 (about 900, like the blackbird).

I'd also suggest buying this from Music Direct. That way, if it just isn't a fit, they will take it back. (minus a small restock fee, but that's better than losing a ton of money on a turntable that you don't like)

Very warm sound, much more so than the Scout or Scout master. As you already have tubed McIntosh gear, it may be too much of a good thing with your setup if you don't pick the right cartridge.

Will you keep the cartridge you have or go with something different? I'd suggest something like a Sumiko Blackbird. It's a high output moving coil which would work with your mac perfectly. (do you have a 2200 or 2300?) If 2300 you've got more options with the MC stage built in.

If you do have a 2300, think about a Lyra Dorian. They are about 1100 bucks. or a Dynavector 17D3 (about 900, like the blackbird).

I'd also suggest buying this from Music Direct. That way, if it just isn't a fit, they will take it back. (minus a small restock fee, but that's better than losing a ton of money on a turntable that you don't like)

thanks for the heads up tone i was thinking of getting it threw elusive disc. I also have the C2300 pre amp I want to try a moving coil as I have heard they may be to my liking. what negatives do you see with this table?
I know it's hard to put it into words but what do you mean by " to much of a good thing" ? I think I may understand but I would like to hear what you think in your words if that's possible.

sounds like a really quite table MiTT I think I might like that as long as it has a good step and beat.

Last edited:
The VPI Classic has a warmer overall sound than the Scout or ScoutMaster, which typically are more on the detailed side.

The McIntosh gear you have now is also on the warm, more romantic side rather than being on the detailed side as well. If you get this table to go with your system, depending on the sound you have now, I would probably stay away from an extremely warm sounding cartridge, like perhaps a Grado, or a Clearaudio Maestro Wood, which have slightly warm tonal balance already. Putting that many components that have that kind of sound together, might be "too romantic" of a sound for you, or you could love it. That's the hardest thing about buying a turntable and especially a cartridge. It's a critical component that you can't really test drive...

Something a little more detailed, (Which might be too harsh sounding on a system that was a little more detailed or forward than your current amp and preamp) should make a nice match, adding some dynamics and extension to your system, while retaining the analog sound you enjoy.

Again, I'd consider Music Direct, only because if you don't like the table you can return it... Good insurance policy.

The VPI Classic has a warmer overall sound than the Scout or ScoutMaster, which typically are more on the detailed side.

The McIntosh gear you have now is also on the warm, more romantic side rather than being on the detailed side as well. If you get this table to go with your system, depending on the sound you have now, I would probably stay away from an extremely warm sounding cartridge, like perhaps a Grado, or a Clearaudio Maestro Wood, which have slightly warm tonal balance already. Putting that many components that have that kind of sound together, might be "too romantic" of a sound for you, or you could love it. That's the hardest thing about buying a turntable and especially a cartridge. It's a critical component that you can't really test drive...

Something a little more detailed, (Which might be too harsh sounding on a system that was a little more detailed or forward than your current amp and preamp) should make a nice match, adding some dynamics and extension to your system, while retaining the analog sound you enjoy.

Again, I'd consider Music Direct, only because if you don't like the table you can return it... Good insurance policy.

I hear what you are saying and thanks for the heads up about music direct I will ask the people at elusive disc what their return policy is before I buy as that is where I have purchased my cleaner and many records. aside from the the looks compared to my pro-ject do you really think this will be a major step up in sound? I think at first I will use my ortofon cartridge just so that I can hear what direction in sound the table takes me and then pick a more appropriate cartridge based upon that so I can get a perfect match for the rest of my equipment.

I've seen that TT - at Silverstone, in the Nordost room. Here's a couple of pics for your enjoyment!:)

Actually, I've got loads of pics I never posted...:( Maybe they'll slowly trickle onto the site;)

Attachments

• SDC11933.jpg
    SDC11933.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • SDC11934.jpg
    SDC11934.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,453
Last edited:
well I pulled the trigger and got the HRX clamp as shown in user 211's pics :ROFL: I will post my thoughts and pics after setup thanks again for the input.

Are those band pass "Rumble Filters"?:eek:

I bought a pair of those once (22 years ago) for kicks, talk about a buzz kill for Hi-Fi, no bass and a veil over everything else.

I don't think there is an upgrade path for the VPI classic, will we have another case of buyer's remorse?

Attachments

• Rumble-Filters.jpg
    Rumble-Filters.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,029
Last edited:
I don't think there is an upgrade path for the VPI classic, will we have another case of buyer's remorse?

I am glad to hear that their is no upgrade path the last thing I need is to spend anymore money on this hobbie :eek: but what about the cartridge :rolleyes: looks like their is always something to upgrade.I really think this table will suffice I really was happy with my pro-ject but need that table in another local so what a better time to buy a more serious TT for the listening room.

Last edited:
Nope, they're the WBT NextGen locking RCA connectors. Very nice.

In case anyone doubted it, and due to the wonders of a modern dirt cheap digital camera, here's a close up from the high res copy.

Well done Rich. Not a great photo to go off AND get it right!:)

Attachments

• awbt.jpg
    awbt.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 975
those are nasty looking interconnects and I would never use them.

does anybody have a picture of Harry Weisfeld ?

In case anyone doubted it, and due to the wonders of a modern dirt cheap digital camera, here's a close up from the high res copy.

Well done Rich. Not a great photo to go off AND get it right!:)

Shucks, thanks! But I had the benefit of inside knowledge. The cables in use were high end Nordost (I'm gonna guess Valhalla by the looks of it), and I know that Nordost use WBT NextGen RCA sockets, 'cause I use Nordost Frey cables in my system!

last night I unpacked my classic TT and set it up new equipment is always a learning experience as I had never used a tone arm like this one. the only gripe i have about this model is that in makes a bit of a chirping noise as it starts up. it seems as though the table is so heavy that the spindle does a little peel out just before it starts up do you think its ok to give the table a little push in the right direction at startup as this fixes the problem. also adjusting the azimuth seems very easy on this model as as you can just rotate the counter weight from side to side to get it right but the manual also states that you can use this nut at the bottom of the tone arm if you prefer that way which do you think is better?
also they provide a damping fluid does anybody use this?

last night I unpacked my classic TT and set it up new equipment is always a learning experience as I had never used a tone arm like this one. the only gripe i have about this model is that in makes a bit of a chirping noise as it starts up. it seems as though the table is so heavy that the spindle does a little peel out just before it starts up do you think its ok to give the table a little push in the right direction at startup as this fixes the problem. also adjusting the azimuth seems very easy on this model as as you can just rotate the counter weight from side to side to get it right but the manual also states that you can use this nut at the bottom of the tone arm if you prefer that way which do you think is better?

My Aries "chirps" a tiny bit when it first starts, but it only lasts a micro second. Giving it a hand should do no harm if it really bothers you that much.

I use about 3 drops of the damping oil in my pivot well. Too much takes the attack off of everything, none at all (on my setup) made things sound a bit brittle and, dare I say it, DIGITAL!!! :eek:

do you think its ok to give the table a little push in the right direction at startup

yes as Tim said no problem, I do with my Aries III, probably will prolong belt life a bit as well

adjusting the azimuth seems very easy on this model as as you can just rotate the counter weight from side to side to get it right but the manual also states that you can use this nut at the bottom of the tone arm if you prefer that way which do you think is better?

I use only the counterweight adj on my Aries III

Nope, but as Tim says try it one drop at a time to see if it's what you prefer. The use of the fluid is totally system dependent and of personal taste. yes I suppose it can help with a possible cartridge / compliance /arm slight missmatch but too much definety will 'muddy up' the bottom end.

Latest posts

Back