The TT belt - how important?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy in Ann Arbor who runs a repair shop (Harv's). He said that getting the authorized and correct belt for your TT is important because cheap knock-offs vary in thickness, size and may have burrs, seams or other imperfections on them.

Harv gave me the number for South Street in NY late last week, the belt for my old Dual came today in the mail.

When I replaced my belt ten years ago it was from a shop which gave me a generic belt. It was not as tall, a little thinner and a small diameter (stretched it).

The new belt is an incredible improvement, equal or greater to any amp change, wire change or other equipment change.

The whole drum set is improved from top (high end) to bottom including better rhythm.

Piano sounds complete with better delay and extension of tone.

So much more (and better) bass that I had to turn down the subwoofer, it was plusing through my body.

The spatial effects of reverb increased, new to me sounds in the music came alive.

Has anyone here upgrade their belt to a non-stock item?

If a Linn belt happened to be the same diameter and fit my pulley would that perhaps be even better than the stock Dual belt?

George, as has been talked about in all the analog threads as of late.......it's all those 'little things' that add up and DO matter !

The belt is very important. I only use the original Linn belt (~$40) on my LP12 because others mess up the sound a lot. Money well spent IMO.

The belt is very important. I only use the original Linn belt (~$40) on my LP12 because others mess up the sound a lot. Money well spent IMO.
How often is the typical TT belt supposed to be changed?

I'm guessing every five years.

How often is the typical TT belt supposed to be changed?

I'm guessing every five years.

I change mine every 2-2.5 years. I could probably go longer between changes but more frequent changes ameliorate my audiophilia nervosa:ROFL:

Latest posts

Back