Survey: hdmi and processor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is you relation with hdmi?

• FWIW a high end processor without HDMI will always be better than a low end with HDMI

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

daniel

Reaction score
Since the introduction of HDMI it has been report that HDMI is a must, that if your processor doesn't have it, it's obsolete.
I always tough that obsolescence was when one was no more able to use a product or that upgraditis had invented this word to give us an excuse to upgrade our component.

so here's a little, non-scientific survey about you owner of a processor and the presence or absence of HDMI.

Obsolecence has taken on new meaning in this fast moving data driven world we currently inhabit.

HDMI is not only a plus for convienience but it is able to carry hi-resolution audio signals in excess of the Toslink spec, and able to carry 1080P video whereas if I understand it correctly, component cables are restricted to 1080i because of copy protection schemes. HDMI underwent a difficult birthing process but now is truely the standard for which every piece of gear is being designed. I even insist that my latest computers be equipped with HDMI. I'm typing on a new Gateway SX2800 that is outputting both video and two channel sound to an LG HD LED "TV" across the room.

Last edited:
HDMI is a must these days for a well rounded A/V processor.

There are still some issues with audio over HDMI, but vendors like Denon have conquered them with innovative features, such as DenonLink 4, which provides hyper-accurate clocking for multi-channel audio streams on the HDMI ports.

The current leading example of modern HDMI-equipped, high-end audio video processors has to be the Denon AVP-A1HDci.

Had mine for over a year and still amazed by all it can do, and just how great it sounds.

Until now, a majority as voted for "My processor has HDMI, and I wouldn't live without it." Will it stays that way?

It supports the idea to buy a new processor with HDMI instead of an old high end processor without it (it is my first choice, but now i'm wondring if it would be the right choice.)

There's still some handshake issues with HDMI that need to be ironed out. Fortunately, I've been very lucky with all my components living harmoniously together in HDMI land.;) I even have a 50' HDMI cable that hasn't given me any problems (knocking on wood). I will say for convenience, running one cable is very nice.

Those greedy, paranoid jerks who pushed HDMI (and the never-ending versions, AKA "upgrades") off on us should thoroughly ashamed of themselves -- if not strung up. But, ask me how I really feel...

These turkeys were so worried about a few people illegal copying a movie here and there -- surely there was a better solution. The result of their paranoia is that thousands of us now have to purchase new equipment -- what a boon to the manufacturers!

AARGH!!!

Those greedy, paranoid jerks who pushed HDMI (and the never-ending versions, AKA "upgrades") off on us should thoroughly ashamed of themselves -- if not strung up. But, ask me how I really feel...

These turkeys were so worried about a few people illegal copying a movie here and there -- surely there was a better solution. The result of their paranoia is that thousands of us now have to purchase new equipment -- what a boon to the manufacturers!

AARGH!!!

1.4 version soon!:eek:

My processor (Marantz 8801) has HDMI, but I connect my Oppo 105 via its multi-channel analog outs for music. It sounds far richer and warmer with no loss of detail. I use HDMI only when playing Blu-ray/DVD and my Tivo unit.

My answer is CJ MET1 multichannel tube preamp. No HDMI, no Audissey TXSE4.9 no Dolby Prologic SuppaDuppaNX2, no other useless bells and whistles. Just pure sound.......

Back