Phono Premap suggestions with $1K budget.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
***UPDATE: I ordered the Clearaudio Emotion CMB combo (may return for VPI Scout). Now I need a preamp*****

***PS Audio GCPH Phonostage or Musical Surroundings - NOVA PHONOMENA or Graham Slee Gold V****

Thanks again everyone for their replies in my previous thread! I know there are a lot of VPI owners here so I feel like I let you guys down :( But I just had to stop myself from constantly increasing my budget every few days. For instance, besides doubling the TT (from ~$900 to finally $2K)...

...I decided to up my budget on a pre (was $450, now it is $1K), because i really don't want to be dissapointed with it being my weekest link and then have to upgrade later.

Could someone chime in about the preamps I've selected? All cost the same, all have great reviews.

The Jolida for $450.00 looked pretty good to me.

For $1,000 I picked up a killer used tube preamp with phono tube section (see my system link below).

What is your current preamp?

Some people spend a ton of money on the interconnects, might be more cost efficient if it's all in the same black box.

I almost purchased the Jolida, but then thought "If I increased my budget form $450, to 1K and now purchased a TT for 2K I may as well get a pre that's more up to par"

I just don't want to upgrade the pre later on and sell one at a loss. Do you think the Jolida is that good?

Currently my preamp is...I don't have one ;) The last time I used a TT in my system was the late 80's. A $129 Hitatchi linear tracking with a Radio Shack/Shure cart. That TT is at my cousin's back in NJ where I'm from. I may bring it back when I go there for a wedding in a couple of weeks... But, until I get a pre (I'll order one within the week), I have an extra Onkyo 2ch receiver (2005) I'll use to connect to my PrimaLuna int amp...just to make sure the TT works after I set it up.

The Jolida for $450.00 looked pretty good to me.

For $1,000 I picked up a killer used tube preamp with phono tube section (see my system link below).

What is your current preamp?

Some people spend a ton of money on the interconnects, might be more cost efficient if it's all in the same black box.

BTW, nice find at audiogon with your pre! I was just reading how it was out of commision for a year! DAmn!

Question: do you have different woofers in your Aerius? The left woofer looks like it has a smaller dust cap. I purchase a pair of used SL2 a couple of years ago and 2 weeks ago received new panels,power supply and woofers (these have the aluminum cones). The originals (for me) were a mismatch - one dust cover was flat and the other wasn't. I just got the gaskets for them this week (they forgot to mail it out) so I'll fix them up this weekend.

out of commision for a year! DAmn!

Question: do you have different woofers in your Aerius?
The preamp was out for not that long if I recall correctly (2-3 weeks), came back sounding better than ever. I suppose repairs down the line go with some used pieces and not others.

The one woofer went bad when I was in grad school, Jim Powers at M/L was nice enough to send me a test spare out of the M/L storage cabinet when I ordered new panel replacements. The dust cap/cover is a little different, sounds the same as the other one though.

PrimaLuna int amp

Oh, I see.

Last edited:
Buy Now!
Price: $369.00USD
Add the Seduction C4S upgrade for 4dB more gain, a lower noise floor and better bass control: (+ $75.00)
Don't want to build the kit yourself? Have our factory trained technicians build it for you: (+ $225.00)

Looks like $400, or $700 top of the line all put together by them.

Nice find.

Their top of the line model - Eros Phono Preamplifier $750:
http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=220&rn=428&action=show_detail

Attachments

• Eros.jpg
    Eros.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
I almost purchased the Jolida, but then thought "If I increased my budget form $450, to 1K and now purchased a TT for 2K I may as well get a pre that's more up to par"

I just don't want to upgrade the pre later on and sell one at a loss. Do you think the Jolida is that good?
Heh heh !!! You're good till Joeyitis hits !:D

Bottlehead Seduction factory built with the C4S update for less than $700. Build it yourself and save a lot more.

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=220&rn=429&action=show_detail

I've heard of this company a few years ago when I was looking for a power amp.

Have you listened to it? Read any good review or personally heard from anyone with good things to say about it? I'm curious what people have to say about it (in addition to the comments posted on their website)

Last edited:
Used Audio research PH3 SE, about a thousand bucks

New, Lehman black cube SE with upgraded power supply, about the same.

Those would be the two I'd buy if purchasing at that price point. Have had both, both are significantly more musical and dynamic than the other stuff you are considering.

New, Lehman black cube SE with upgraded power supply, about the same.

Those would be the two I'd buy if purchasing at that price point. Have had both, both are significantly more musical and dynamic than the other stuff you are considering.

I've got a Lehman Black Cube SE (with the better power supply) for sale for half that if you'll consider used. The nice thing about that is if you don't like it or choose to upgrade as I did (To a Rega IOS at considerably more $$) you won't get hurt reselling it. Black Cubes are very strong on Audiogon.

Last edited:
I have not listened to any phono preamps other than my own in a very long time. However, this E.A.R. 834P in chrome looks and I must guess sound sweet and is in the price range mentioned (1k).

Reviews (tubes baby)
http://www.ear-usa.com/834previews.htm

Homepage:
http://www.ear-usa.com/ear_tube.htm
834pn.jpg

FYI: Sterophile's lust list:
http://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/

EDIT: Nice selection here:
http://www.elusivedisc.com/departments.asp?dept=236

Nice, but they've gone up about $300-400 since those reviews. Geez! TT item prices are SKY ROCKETTING these last few years!
Little Supply and low Demand

Latest posts

Back