Ready to pull the trigger on TT! Need help again!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
In another thread, I limited my budget to about $900. I changed it to about $2K. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger!

I'm highly considering these 2 models:

Clearaudio Emotion CMB Turntable w/ Satisfy and Maestro
Clearaudio

Pro-Ject RM9.1 Turntable (with either Blue Point Special or Blackbird cart)
Pro-Ject

Any thoughts? Any other suggestions for a complete system at around $2K?
And I have absolutely no idea what preamp to get, so help in that area would also be greatly appreciated. On other forums I am getting positive responses to this Jolida:
Jolida Preamp

Thanks in advance!

Pete

I have not heard either one.

Clearaudio
The frosty acrylic platter compliments the black plinth nicely

What is the plinth made out of?

The Pro-Ject RM9.1 looks like a more expensive table design, on looks alone I give it the nod.

Why not buy from a local high end retailer?

A place you can get a basic feel for the character of the table from.

Check out VPI - the low end like the Scout, or if you can stretch the budget, the Classic.

I am always wary of buying used mechanical stuff, but you could always check Audiogon, and if you get a good deal on a VPI, buy it and have VPI check it out first.

VPI - Aries Scout - w/ 9" JMW Tonearm
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VPSC9
Our Price: $1,799.00
VPIASCOUTPKG_000.jpg

...............and it's Made in USA, right?

The visual.....................

emotion-package-1s.jpg

Attachments

• Project-1.jpg
    Project-1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
One cool thing about the VPI's is that you can start with a Scout and then upgrade in bits and pieces as your budget allows all the way to Super Scout Master status. That's a pathway to a world class analog rig with very little front end investment.

Attachments

• ssm_ref.jpg
    ssm_ref.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
[snip]
Why not buy from a local high end retailer?
It also begs the question, why buy mail order if you have a local retailer who brings the rig to your house and dials it in accurately for overhang, offset angle, azimuth, etc. at little or no extra cost, leaving you nothing to do but enjoy your music?:music:

No cart with the Scout, correct?

I found a B stock at MusicDirect at $1400. B stock meaning it "might" have a slight blemish.

If I had the Clearaudio cart on it, it would cost $2400. $400 more than the CA Emotion CMB package.

If I do return it, what cart to get for the Scout? Would I have to get one that cost $1k to make it better than the CA?

VPI - Aries Scout - w/ 9" JMW Tonearm
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VPSC9

VPIASCOUTPKG_000.jpg

...............and it's Made in USA, right?

The visual.....................

emotion-package-1s.jpg

So I called AV to cancel my Clearaudio order but it's already been shipped. I can ship it back and get all my $$ back (free shipping). I just have to shell out a few bucks to ship it back (I get a discount at work).

Still not sure if I should keep it or get the Scout with a possible small blemish @ $1400. (from MusicDirect)

If I get it, what cart should i get? The Clearaudio comes with its top of the line MM, the Maestro that goes for $1k (complete TT @ $2K). This will put the VPI in at $2400. Can I get a cart to keep the VPI at $2k complete and still have it outperfrom the Clearaudio Emotion CMB? Which one?

If you have suspended floors I hope you have something solid on which to mount the TT.....like a wall shelf.

Worst case of buyer's remorse I've ever seen.:D

Buyer's remorse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer's_remorse
Buyer's remorse is an emotional condition whereby a person feels remorse or regret after a purchase. It is frequently associated with the purchase of higher value items which could be considered unnecessary although it may also stem from a sense of not wishing to be "wrong".

Wall shelf does sound like a good idea, wish I had some wall for one.

Expanding the topic a bit..........................

What I was missing for many years in my experience with records was a properly set up and aligned cartridge. No bass, no highs and a muddy middle are all you can expect without a proper set up using a protractor. Most people who like CD's better have never heard an aligned needle. The others just like the convenience of CD's too much to be open minded.

I have to admit that before I had a tube powered system with tube phone preamp the snap crackle pop could be too much even on a clean record. All that changed when I went to valves/tubes. Solid state and records just do not go together.

Keep old technology with old technology for best results.

Cartridge Alignment Protractors
Cartridge Alignment Protractors | Free Turntable, Tonearm & Cartridge Tools | Vinyl Engine

Cartridge Alignment products
Cartridge Alignment

Alignment Proctrators
Turntable Accessories-Audio Advisor

I have the DB Systems protractor, difficult (but not impossible) to use with non-rectangular bodies.
DBPRO_000.jpg

Use one of these too..........I know..sooooo much work.;)

Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn-in Record – Good also to set anti-skating
Cardas Audio
cardas-sweep-record.jpg

I have to admit that before I had a tube powered system with tube phone preamp the snap crackle pop could be too much even on a clean record. All that changed when I went to valves/tubes. Solid state and records just do not go together.

Keep old technology with old technology for best results.

If you are getting snap, crackle, pop on "clean" records, then they aren't clean. If you have done everything right, your LP's should be CD quiet. Solid State phono stages go just fine with records and even though I use a couple of tube phono stages, I've had excellent results with solid state phono preamplifiers at all price points.

They are often quieter than their tube counterparts, giving up nothing in terms of sound quality.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with your record cleaning regimen. You've got a serious problem somewhere....

snap, crackle, pop
I remember the snap crackle pop with solid state four years ago, not a problem with tubes.

The carbon fiber brush may have been adding noise after I zerostated it.

Sometimes I see static cling on the record when I remove it from the sleeve. I zap it with the gun if that happens.

Will one of those grounded wire brushes help?

Steam cleaning is the best, but I only do it on used records with an unknown history.

Don't know what to tell you. I've got clean records that sound fine with tubes or SS and I've got some old, beat up records that have some surface noise and it doesn't go away switching to tubes.

I have noticed that some stylus profiles accentuate noise more than others because of where the stylus falls in the groove, but I've never heard a tube phono stage eliminate clicks and pops.

I've never heard a tube phono stage eliminate clicks and pops.
I'd have to say my old SS phono preamp made snap crackle pop sounds come to the forefront. The tube phono preamp makes snap crackle pop sounds (should they ever dare make an appearance) go to the back of the bus if not off the bus.

If we all had the same exact experiences, life would be boring.

Back