Tonearm on wrong side?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score

Attachments

• media.nl.jpg
    media.nl.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 328
My reaction: you can't be serious. And I have no idea why they put the arm on the left side except to be different, not to mention a lot less convenient. But it doesn't matter because the thing is so retarded in the first place.

"and benefiting from a straight tone arm"
Riddle me this, Batman: How does a straight tonearm with an obvious break in the middle (removable portion of the arm including the headshell, presumably for swapping cartridges) make it better? And how does no offset angle enable tracking the record correctly? Even a $20 child's toy record player has an offset angle. Not only that, the tonearm pivot to spindle distance is too long for the effective length of the arm. Tonearm Geometry 101.

"The Guber CM-01 turntable's quartz lock function allows for waveless listening."
WTF is "waveless listening"?

Features:
"The unique design of the Vestax CM-01 allows the platter to stick out from the body"
Huh? Since when is that a "feature"?

A fourth grader could have written better ad copy.

Is this a Lirpa Labs product?

Last edited:
I can't imagine how this plays anything but backwards.:(

unless one picks up and pivots the entire arm over the spindle to accomadate clockwise rotation, regardless.....a total POS........ my avatar is better !!

Perhaps the motor is set up to run in reverse????????
It doesn't say, but if in the unlikely case that it is, why wouldn't the headshell have a reverse offset angle? And did you happen to notice they don't specify at what speeds it plays?

Truly an egregiously overpriced piece of junk and a bad joke.

My reaction: you can't be serious. And I have no idea why they put the arm on the left side except to be different, not to mention a lot less convenient. But it doesn't matter because the thing is so retarded in the first place.

"and benefiting from a straight tone arm"
Riddle me this, Batman: How does a straight tonearm with an obvious break in the middle (removable portion of the arm including the headshell, presumably for swapping cartridges) make it better? And how does no offset angle enable tracking the record correctly? Even a $20 child's toy record player has an offset angle. Not only that, the tonearm pivot to spindle distance is too long for the effective length of the arm. Tonearm Geometry 101.

"The Guber CM-01 turntable's quartz lock function allows for waveless listening."
WTF is "waveless listening"?

Features:
"The unique design of the Vestax CM-01 allows the platter to stick out from the body"
Huh? Since when is that a "feature"?

A fourth grader could have written better ad copy.

Is this a Lirpa Labs product?

I really miss all the great products from Lirpa Labs! :ROFL:

Jeff:cool:

I e-mailed info at Needle Doctor, lets see if they understand my question.

I'm assuming the tonearm does not rotate 90 degrees up, this would just be unbelievably awkward to use (set first track and retrieve after last track).

Beetles LP played backwards............John is dead, John is dead, John is dead.

It's only use?

At first I thought this is Needle Doctor's version of a Lirpa Labs product for sure. I mean even the name points to a joke. Think phonetically. Guber... Goober...

However, Vestax actually DOES make TWO Guber turntables that has USB output, and here are some links I found. All the other versions I found have a different look to the platter, and have the tonearm on the correct side though...

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/guber/cm02_e.html

http://www.everythingusb.com/vestax-guber-cm-02-usb-turntable-14508.html

And then there is THIS one on the B&H Photo website, that is just like the NeedleDoctor version, but in black...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...R_CM_01_BLK_CM_01_Direct_Drive_Turntable.html

Apparently this IS a real TT. I'm now very curious to find out how that odd-side tonearm works...

--Richard

Last edited:
UPDATE: 09/29/2009

A person at the Needle Doctor returned my e-mail;

I'm very confused also. I will need to look into that.

They do sell it in black and white, looks low end in any case.

Last edited:
"The 5mm thick acryl platter and the machined skin brass balance weights stabilizes the rotation and inertia moment, which provides excellent wow flatter performance together with its stylish design

Excellent Wow Flatter ???

it hurts my brain just to look at it. could it be that the pics are just reversed somehow ?

Last edited:
I figured it out. Pick the headshell up and place the cartridge down at the top of the record. Just not very ergonomic.
I think you are right, I tried to think about that possibility before, but the amount of rotation required by the tonearm and the arm lift assembly required to prevent accidental "crash down" was twisting my mind.

Here is something out of the Mapleshade Fall 09 catalog, page 47. It is a opposite hand photo, can tell because the Mark Levison logo is mirrored.

levinson_logo_sm.jpg

Attachments

• levinson_logo_Mirrored.jpg
    levinson_logo_Mirrored.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Maple-Shade-TT-Closeup.jpg
    Maple-Shade-TT-Closeup.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back