Turntable suggestions needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
My buget is about $900 for a complete TT system ( not including the preamp). There's a Denon DP-60 L on audiogon now, doesn't come with a cartridge, but it is only $600. I have a set of ReQuests and a PrimaLuna Prologue One integerated amp. This TT is for sale locally so that is to my advantage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Upscale Audio also has this for sale:
Clearaudio Emotion w/ Satisfy & Classics Wood cartridge (special package) - Incredible turntable, tonearm and cartridge deal from one of the most prestigious turntable companies in the world. Made in Germany, the package includes the Emotion turntable (clear plinth), Satisfy aluminum tonearm, and Clearaudio Classics wood-body MM cartridge (cartridge is not pre-mounted).

The package price is $1200, but we have one available to you for $949! Factory sealed with full warranty!
-----------------------------------------

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Peter,
You could buy my Thorens TD 125 mkii for about$750 and I am negotiable. I have a cartridge too so we can negotiate. :D

I am local too

Jeff:cool:

My buget is about $900 for a complete TT system ( not including the preamp). There's a Denon DP-60 L on audiogon now, doesn't come with a cartridge, but it is only $600. I have a set of ReQuests and a PrimaLuna Prologue One integerated amp. This TT is for sale locally so that is to my advantage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Upscale Audio also has this for sale:
Clearaudio Emotion w/ Satisfy & Classics Wood cartridge (special package) - Incredible turntable, tonearm and cartridge deal from one of the most prestigious turntable companies in the world. Made in Germany, the package includes the Emotion turntable (clear plinth), Satisfy aluminum tonearm, and Clearaudio Classics wood-body MM cartridge (cartridge is not pre-mounted).

The package price is $1200, but we have one available to you for $949! Factory sealed with full warranty!
-----------------------------------------

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Denon aren't exactly reknown for their turntables, so of those two options, I'd say go for the Clearaudio. It also has the benefit of being brand new with a warranty.

Agree that today Denon isn't known for turntables, but back in the day of the model mentioned they were, and the DP-60 is one of the best they made. I think the Denon may be the smarter purchase, depending upon the tonearm provided. They are very reliable, so warranty is moot. The Clearaudio is more show than go, much less substantial than the Denon. Jeff's Thorens could also be a good choice, especially if it has a nice SME tonearm.

I'd go for that thorens. It will make a very nice compliment to the system you already have, and should you decide you don't like it, you can resell it for exactly what you paid for it...

If you have a lot of older or vintage gear get the Thorens.

If classic solid looks is important the Denon is very handsome. My buddy has one but it's been ten years since he played it for me so I don't recall the sound.

If you like a modern up to date look, the Clearaudio sure is sweet looking.

Sorry, but from here it seems to be a choice of visual preferences.

If it were my money I can only say that I like the looks of the Clearaudio best.

Last edited:
The Denon is a good table from the 80s and probably will work perfectly, they were built like tanks, first quality all the way. The Thorens is a good table and will sound very different from the Denon. The classic difference between non-suspended and suspended designs. The last time I heard a Clearaudio I didn't like the sound, way too thin and digital sounding IMO, though I understand that the house sound has changed to a warmer sound recently.

In what ways?

IME a good DD non-suspended (are there any DD suspended tables?) TT will have better bass and pitch stability than a good suspended table. The ST will typically have better rhythm and timing and usually fuller soundstaging though all of these are more setup dependent than with the non-suspended table. YMMV

The Clearaudio is gorgeous piece of industrial design, that also plays music! Very cool. I heard it at a local dealer, but can't really comment on the sound as the system was totally different from my own. All I know for sure is that my 1986 Thorens TD-166 II with a new Benz MC Gold has given me goosebumps with an audiophile LP. I wish I didn't like the sound so much so I could have an excuse to buy a new TT :)

My sytem is in my living room, so a Clearaudio, or my favorite for looks, JA Michell, would look fabulous. But my floor is rather bouncy so my suspended table is exactly what I need.

I'd have no qualms about buying a 20 year old TT if it's a quality piece. I had my Thorens checked out by my dealer when I got the new cart: all they did was replace the belt. Can't beat that.

Latest posts

Back