Record Player Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Ok - I think was covered on this forum and I searched for almost an hour to find the answer but to no avail.

I was playing records last night and embarrassingly fell asleep. I woke up 4.5 hours later and the record was still spinning. I cleaned the stylus with my Zero Dust cleaner and it was quite dirty.

My question is did I do any damage? Everything seems to sound fine but I just want to ask the experts to make sure.

I always appreciate your help!

I was playing records last night and embarrassingly fell asleep. I woke up 4.5 hours later and the record was still spinning. I cleaned the stylus with my Zero Dust cleaner and it was quite dirty.

My question is did I do any damage? Everything seems to sound fine but I just want to ask the experts to make sure.

I always appreciate your help!

I think you'll be fine. If any damage has occured, it'll be to the leadout groove of the record you were listening to. 4 hours in a leadout groove or 4 hours plaing music; I don't think the stylus cares much either way!

I did that a while ago with a record whose label merged with the lead-out groove. Woke up to find the stylus covered in paper:eek: All seems well, however. Diamond is pretty hard, after all.

I think you'll be fine. If any damage has occured, it'll be to the leadout groove of the record you were listening to. 4 hours in a leadout groove or 4 hours plaing music; I don't think the stylus cares much either way!
I agree. One of my clients bought a turntable used and had accidentally left it running playing a record for about 5 hours. He wondered if any damage had occurred, and I told him no, just clean the stylus. But it seems the cartridge may have withstood damage previously, because one channel measured -22 dB crosstalk regardless of azimuth adjustment, while the other channel varied as it should, to enable correct alignment (minimum phase error is the preferred guide, which sometimes coincides with crosstalk at the same azimuth setting). He's ordering a replacement cartridge from me soon.

some lead out grooves seam to have some grit:eek: or other nasties in them this is not good and I try to clean these extra well to avoid any potential problems.

I think everyone who listens to vinyl has done that at least once. No big deal. As RichTeer wrote "I think you'll be fine. If any damage has occured, it'll be to the leadout groove of the record you were listening to. 4 hours in a leadout groove or 4 hours plaing music; I don't think the stylus cares much either way!"

Latest posts

Back