Cartridge Thoughts ..........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
While @ Overture today Terry and I got talking cartridges and Transfiguration quickly came to the forefront. While I hadn't really given them consideration for my next piece (more than I wanted to spend), I am now considering stretching my budget and possibly picking up an 'Axia' model.

Anybody else on the forum have first hand listening knowledge / opinion on this line and in particular the Axia model ??

http://www.profundo.us/transfiguration/ringmag/ringmag.htm

Last edited:
Dave, I hear they take a long time to break-in !

Sorry....just pulling your chain :D

As you probably know, Dave, I have the Orpheus.

The feeling I get when listening to it is simply that it is doing an extrodinary job extracting information out of the groove. You get the feeling it is ripping everything out that is available to it.

It also fairs incredibly well in complex mixes, proving it traces the groove excellently.

One thing - it didn't respond that well to my Gyrodec platter. When I replaced it with the much more substantial Orbe platter, the bottom end became much fuller and better defined.

It doesn't sound at all CD like in my rig. It flows really well, sounding continuous and natural, as opposed to the mild artifice that always seems to come from digital, no matter what player you listen to.

In short, it rocks. But it also costs.

I can't talk for the Axia - you'll just have to try it and see, but I expect it displays similar traits - only "less so". After all, there has to be a reason to spend more money.

Last edited:
As you probably know, Dave, I have the Orpheus.

I didn't Justin, I thought you were running an Ortofon.......anyways...wow !!

The Orpheus @ 6k ....... I imagine it does sound superb !

Overture has the 'Basis Debut signature' table in and they are awaiting both the Phoenix and the Orpheus to arrive, I am axiously awaiting to hear this set-up played through the CLX's !!

Bernard - check this link and the comment on the Spirit...

Dave - might be worth a read. Enjoy.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=41739&forum_id=1&highlight=transfiguration

Oh Dave, if you try you'll be able to get a new Orpheus from a contact I was given by the departed Neil for about $3K. If you can't find one elsewhere for that, PM me and I'll give you the contact info. There are absolutely no guarantees with it, though, as in I didn't get mine from that source. The other models may also be available from him.

Last edited:
Dave, I hear they take a long time to break-in !

Sorry....just pulling your chain :D

you know Bernard on the 'serious side' of things i have heard that they do take longer than most to break-in........ 'Ring Magnet' construction perhaps ??? ......Justin ??

Dave - I don't know. I got mine on the Gon 2nd hand from a Swiss seller. 4 months old with a receipt. Big risk, low price. Turned out to be an excellent deal - the diamond looked exquisite under the scope when I got it.

Hey - that's 2000 posts!:)

Dave, you might be interested in this guy's experience with the Axia...

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11414

Not to hijack this thread, but as long as we're talking cartridges, has anyone tried the Ortofon Kontrapunkt C? TAS seems to really like this cartridge (they say, " Neutrality is absolute, resolution breathtaking. By any measure, an outstanding pickup."). Although I have lots of life left on my two Clearaudio cartridges and I really like them (especially the Virtuoso), I'm thinking about getting my feet wet in the moving coil camp.

Dave, if/when I get a new cartridge Lyra is likely to be my choice; although I was thinking along the lines of the Skala.

I was thinking along the lines of the Skala.

gulp........I've never spent over 1k for a cartridge in my life (yes I know times are a changin'), I am seriously wrestling with myself at the thought of even dropping $1400-1600 on one !

To me part of the problem is today we don't have the abundance of brick and mortar stores and well set-up analog rigs in which to audition.

Last edited:
To me part of the problem is today we don't have the abundance of brick and mortar stores and well set-up analog rigs in which to audition.

It's the problem nowadays... hard to find shops that even hold stock of the better models here.

Has anyone had a cartrdige rebuilt? When I have the cash I plan to have my Koetsu rebuilt rather than buying a new one, considering the price of new Koetsus. But I was wondering if with a rebuild you are looking at the same considerations as buying a new cartridge in terms of sound quality.

Sorry to hijack your thread Dave.

Dave, if/when I get a new cartridge Lyra is likely to be my choice; although I was thinking along the lines of the Skala.

I'm partial to Lyra's cartridges too. I'm currently in the process of trying to replace my (original) Parnassus with a Titan i. Odds are I won't trade in the Parnassus--I'd eventually like to add an Olympos to my collection and a donor Parnassus is required (in addition to big bags of cash!)...

I'm partial to Lyra's cartridges too. I'm currently in the process of trying to replace my (original) Parnassus with a Titan i. Odds are I won't trade in the Parnassus--I'd eventually like to add an Olympos to my collection and a donor Parnassus is required (in addition to big bags of cash!)...

Make sure you spend some time with it, the Parnassus and Olympos are completely different than the Titan i....

Though if you have two tables or tonearms, that could be a nice pair! Your records would sound great on one of those two!

Latest posts

Back