new turnable for me

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giacomix

Reaction score
Hi. A week ago i bougth a couple of Martinlogan Vantage and a tube integrated ampli audio research vsi 60. I have a lector CDP 05T and ARISTON AUDIO RD 40 turnable with SME 3009 II and MC Goldring Eroica. The phono pream is AUDIO ANALOGUE "ARIA".
now i want have a modern turnable for about 3500/4000$ (about 3000 Euro).
What turnable do you think about?
Thanks
Giacomo:music:

Don't think about turntables much. The only one that creeps into my thoughts on occasion is the SME 30/12.

Don't think about turntables much. The only one that creeps into my thoughts on occasion is the SME 30/12.

I think he'll find it rather difficult to do that for about 3 grand, American!

For $2500, Id definitely go with a Sound HiFi Modded Technics SL-1200, SME 309 arm (or even use your vintage SME, it will sound great) and not sure about cartridge.

Probably my favorite overall in that price range would be a Shelter 501 II. Lyra Dorian is very nice, Sumiko Blackbird is good too. Depends on your overall system balance.

Sorry, i misunderstood the question...

Hi. A week ago i bougth a couple of Martinlogan Vantage and a tube integrated ampli audio research vsi 60. I have a lector CDP 05T and ARISTON AUDIO RD 40 turnable with SME 3009 II and MC Goldring Eroica. The phono pream is AUDIO ANALOGUE "ARIA".
Thanks

I have had VPI turntables for years. In your price range, you could consider a VPI Classic (just released) or a lightly used Scoutmaster with JMW 9 tonearm. The Aries is a bit more expensive and the differences may be negligible. The nice thing about VPI tables is that they are upgradable when new tweaks come out and they are ultra reliable. Their tonearms will handle virtually any cartridge on the market because of their multiple counterweight offerings. Also the company is very solid and has been in the turntable/arm business for 30 years.

Depending on how you like your music presented you might consider tables other than the VPI. The Avid Diva w/ RB301 etc., a used LP12 w/Ittok. Both of these will have a very different sound (which I prefer) to the VPI tables. Try to compare if you can.

Thanks

My wife would say that I have an unhealthy turntable obsession--I think about 'em all the time (well, nearly)!

There are a few great TTs in your price range: Regas, Clearaudios, Pro-Ject and the like all come to mind. IF you're really lucky (and you might have to stretch you budget a bit), you might be able to snag an SME Model 20/2.

Not sure, are they more expensive over there? Here you can pick up a used SME 10 for 45-5500 dollars. I know that's a little out of your range, but a fantastic table.

Latest posts

Back