opinions on these tubes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the quality of these tubes? Shuguang 6SN7GT, Electro harmonix 12ax7eh and Tung Sol 12au7... what type of sound qualities they bring? thanks a lot ...I'm....uh...looking at something and any input would be really helpful... thx. tim.

sorry - it is for a pre-amp....

Anyone know anything about the quality of these tubes? Shuguang 6SN7GT, Electro harmonix 12ax7eh and Tung Sol 12au7... what type of sound qualities they bring? thanks a lot ...I'm....uh...looking at something and any input would be really helpful... thx. tim.

The EH is a nice tube, smooth yet with good detail IMS. The TS 12AU7 is a little muffled compared to the RCA Cleartops that I use in my DAC but you can find the TS at a reasonable price. Each of these tubes will sound different depending on the gear they are used in.

Well... I pulled the trigger on a cary slp-98p .... so that is what it is going in... I am supposed to pick it up on tuesday.... It will be replacing my sunfire pre/processor.... Hoping to get a nice difference there.... the tubes above are what are currently in the pre...

Congrats !! prepare yourself for a mid-range blossoming experience !! :music:

thanks dave ...that is what I am hoping for.... looks like I will be picking up on tuesday am....

i have "standardized" on the EH tubes for my mc60 amps and aside from a 6550 that went bad almost immediately :( i have been very happy with the tubes.

when i did the first amp EH did not yet have 5u4g or 12ax7 so i got NOS tubes for them. philips JAN for the rectifiers and black plate RCA for the 12ax7 tube.

when i got the second mc60 i was able to roll the whole amp in EH and to my ears they sound as good as the NOS tubes.

i get my tubes from www.thetubestore.com - a great source.

Hey timm,

I replaced the stock electro-harmonix tubes in my SLP-98p with RCA Platinum Grade 6SN7's and Mullard British Military 12AX7's & 12AU7's Platinum Grade from Upscale Audio. Sweet :) Wish I could give a better description... Sounds great with the Ayre V-5xe and the new Spires.

Love to hear how your new preamp works out for you.

Satch

i have "standardized" on the EH tubes for my mc60 amps and aside from a 6550 that went bad almost immediately :( i have been very happy with the tubes.

when i did the first amp EH did not yet have 5u4g or 12ax7 so i got NOS tubes for them. philips JAN for the rectifiers and black plate RCA for the 12ax7 tube.

when i got the second mc60 i was able to roll the whole amp in EH and to my ears they sound as good as the NOS tubes.

i get my tubes from www.thetubestore.com - a great source.

zaphod - thanks for the link... this looks like a friggy diggers dream come true... He is going to throw in some rca 12au7 rca tubes as well...

Hey timm,

I replaced the stock electro-harmonix tubes in my SLP-98p with RCA Platinum Grade 6SN7's and Mullard British Military 12AX7's & 12AU7's Platinum Grade from Upscale Audio. Sweet :) Wish I could give a better description... Sounds great with the Ayre V-5xe and the new Spires.

Love to hear how your new preamp works out for you.

Satch

Satch - I will definitely put something out there regarding the sound etc... I will also do a comparison to the sunfire tgIII - since the two preamps are soooo different from one another - I think it would be an interesting comparison...

Question...maybe a dumbo - but... gots to know... I thought the 12AX7/12AU7 tubes were for the phono stage only... they aren't used if I hook up my cd player... correct?

first attempt at an attachment... this is a pic of the unit I will be picking up tomorrow...

Attachments

• cary_front.jpg
    cary_front.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back