Checking Azimuth with Multimeter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOUNTAIN

Reaction score
Has anyone ever checked their azimuth with a multimeter before? I saw Michael Fremer do this on his dvd and decided to give it a go. I used the Analogue Productions Test LP that contains a 1khz tone for left and right channels only. However, my results produced some interesting issues and now I am quite confused. For instance, the highest db number I could obtain (using the formula listed out on Fremer's PDF dvd) for both channels while keeping the numbers within 10% of each other produced an obvious tilt to the cartridge. It now is lower on the right side than the left and not by a small amount either. Maybe I am doing this all wrong though. The numbers I get after conversion are Left channel (30.5db) Right Channel (32.5db). Now if I level the cartridge visually and check my results it's usually something like Left (23db) Right (28db), although I have gotten L (25db) R (25.5db) once before. When I got the previous number the cart was only very slightly lower on the right as compared to the left. You had to look real hard to notice this, but it was slightly tilted. Should I even try for the higher db numbers and stick with the 25/25.5 reading or should I leave the cart like it is? As for there being something wrong with my cartridge, it seems to be in perfect working order with no visible problems. It was switched out not too long ago for a brand new one because my dealer and I thought we had a bad cart. Turned out not to be the case. I'm pretty sure either my technique for measuring the azimuth is not being done properly or I am getting false readings. I have confirmed my readings several times and they usually only vary about 1db apart from each other leading me to think that they are accurate or consistently wrong.

Another confusing result is when measuring for the big number on the right channel and on the left channel, should they have close to the same voltage? The reason I ask is because on my last measurement before conversion I got Left Big Number: 2.25 Right Big Number: 1.97. Volume control remained constant. Just in case you wanted to know the other numbers LSN: .07 and RSN: .05 . I then took these numbers and converted them using the converter chart given on the above mentioned dvd and arrived at those db numbers for right and left channels. Should I have been trying to equal out the big numbers first then take my measurements? If that is the case though, I'm not sure how to do that other than adjusting the azimuth which would then affect everthing else. This probably makes little sense especially if you haven't ever tried this method before.

As far as the sound, it sounds dead on but then again I thought it sounded pretty good before. However if I had to choose which seems to sound better then I would probably pick the leaning cartridge. But if I am doing this wrong then this means I have not done any of the above steps right and have given myself false results and therefore a false conclusion on which sounds better since I have not compared the before results with a correctly done result. Confused yet? I know I am. Any takers on helping make sense of what I should do and what I just wrote?

Thanks for your patience

Glen

Although there isn't enough information presented in your post to say for sure, chances are that tilting the cartridge to get the numbers to most closely match each other is the best setting based on these measurements. Phase error is even more audible, and the angle at which this is minimized may or may not match the optimum crosstalk point. A fraction of a degree is audible - an expensive cartridge here sounds dramatically better at +0.5 degrees. I use the Feickert Adjust+ Pro software here and on client systems which gives clear indication of both as well as measuring a host of other performance parameters.

Although there isn't enough information presented in your post to say for sure, chances are that tilting the cartridge to get the numbers to most closely match each other is the best setting based on these measurements. Phase error is even more audible, and the angle at which this is minimized may or may not match the optimum crosstalk point. A fraction of a degree is audible - an expensive cartridge here sounds dramatically better at +0.5 degrees. I use the Feickert Adjust+ Pro software here and on client systems which gives clear indication of both as well as measuring a host of other performance parameters.

Thank you Brian for your response. I wasn't sure what phase error was? Also, is this Feickert software hard to use? I would be interested in such a tool if it is resonable in price and helped with other adjustments. Thanks again.

Glen

Glen, the standard version of the software is 249 Euros which at the moment is about $340, while the Pro version costs 399 Euros or $543. Where the phase angles of the left and right channels intersect or come closest to each other, minimum phase error is achieved. It is possible to measure such things without the software but may be more time consuming. Information on the latter probably could be found on various analog forums.

Glen, the standard version of the software is 249 Euros which at the moment is about $340, while the Pro version costs 399 Euros or $543. Where the phase angles of the left and right channels intersect or come closest to each other, minimum phase error is achieved. It is possible to measure such things without the software but may be more time consuming. Information on the latter probably could be found on various analog forums.

Thanks again Brian for the info. It looks very interesting and worth trying. Maybe when funds allow I will give this a try.

Glen

You could of course buy an oscilloscope (for somewhat more cash). It would be interesting to see both channels simultaneously.

Latest posts

Back