A technics sl-1200 I can live with!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Though there are tons of SL1200's out there (I own one too), I've never been thrilled with this table. It always comes across sounding dark and un-involving , but with great bass and speed stability.

I'm not a big fan of modded gear either, but forum member Jeff Zaret told me about the Sound HiFi mods for the SL-1200, allowing you to get rid of the big honking transformer under the platter, add an external power supply and fit a custom mounting board for an SME tonearm.

It took a little while because the Sound HiFi people were filling orders and as luck would have it the goodies arrived a few days before deadline on last issue, so it had to sit on the shelf for a little while.

After spending the day with this, I am very impressed. Parts quality is first rate, the 309 install looks factory and this table now stacks up with anything in the $3000 category that I've heard.

Full review to follow, but if you are more of a wrench turner and this looks intriguing, for about $1800, you can have a very good turntable that plays out of its league.

Attachments

• SL1200.jpg
    SL1200.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 3,786
Interesting Jeff(s), I just forwarded this over to my son....he just recently enterd the world of analog via a '1200'. I have no clue where that influence came from.....:devil:

Will any of that stuff work with the AT Pl120 I wonder? Do they have a Rega armboard? Like to try my RB1000 on it.

Last edited:
Excellent ! would love to hear that 1200 sing ! My own is also modded with the Origin Live armboard and an OL RB300 with structural mods, wiring and heavyweight.
I don't run vinyl in the main rig... I set up a secondary rig for it. :music:
Cartridge is an Ortofon Rondo Bronze...

Attachments

• IMG_0099a.jpg
    IMG_0099a.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,581
Will any of that stuff work with the AT Pl120 I wonder? Do they have a Rega armboard? Like to try my RB1000 on it.

I'd send them an email to see if it is compatible with the PL120...

I do believe you will have to go to Origin Live for the rega arm board. Not sure if they have an RB1000 board, which mounts very differently than the RB1000.

Except you are still using the stock SL-1200 tonearm which really is the weak link...

I finally got my hands on a KAB and it's not even close to this in terms of performance. The SME arm really takes the SL1200 to another level.

Last edited:
I have no doubt the SME arm takes the SL-1200 in a completely different direction, but I was just throwing out there that when you take all the KAB mods, including the tonearm damper, outboard power supply, tonearm wiring, strobe, cartridge, etc. you can get a pretty nice table for about 1100 bucks.

And that includes a brand new MK5G table to boot. My point being just if people are looking at the SL-1200 series the KAB site is worth a look just for research if nothing else.

The KAB mods are great for a pro (DJ) but the arm, even with mods is still quite limiting to which cartridges can be accommodated. Throw in an arm board and a Jelco SA 250 ST arm and now you've started to get somewhere...all for about $1300. Add a Shelter 501 or a Lydia Dorian, with a Lehmann Black Cube SE to the mix and you've got a respectable analog rig for less than $3k list. Smart shopping can bring that down a bit.

Last edited:
At the level of the KAB mods, Id still rather have a Rega P3, myself.

But this was an inexpensive move because I just happened to have a spare 309 laying around without a turntable. The Jelco arm is very good too, I just really like SME.

Id go as far as to say that the SL1200, with the Sound HIfI mods and a nice used 309 is at the top of the heap in the $2500 table category. Certainly everything I've had the chance to hear for that price...

Latest posts

Back