Teres Audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a recent thread, for the past nine years I've wanted to build my own turntable and base it on parts available from Teres Audio. Looks like they might be not selling the platter spindle bearing by it's self any more, I'll have to call to verify.

What caught my attention on their website is the new drive system, very Oracle Delphi like, and claimed to fit many current popular belt driven tables.

Verus Motor
http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html

Verus Reviews
http://www.teresaudio.com/reviews_verus.html

Such a drive system would not effect my dream design much. I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the Versa.

I'm interested in hearing from our resident Oracle Delphi owners and how they think a Teres Verus table might compare or contrast to the Oracle Delphi MkV.

I thought that the Oracles have always been, and continue to be belt drive? From their website; "Oracle's precision moulded belt possesses unusual structural uniformity. It plays an important role in maintaining maximum speed stability, while filtering the vibrations generated by the motor." Interesting though, since I know that the top of the line Terus Certus is a direct drive table. Awesome tables by the way.

I think it looks more line a version of the VPI Rim Drive...

http://www.vpiindustries.com/products_rim.htm

Attachments

• rim2small.jpg
    rim2small.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,372
Last edited:
The MK IV I looked at had a rubber lip going around the platter, which if I recall correctly was driven by a wheel in the back of the unit.

Similar to this:
http://www.pdemara.com/
oracled2.jpg

I also find text on many sites calling it a "belt-drive", I have no idea why.

Last edited:
I have egg on my face, I was wrong. But I understand how the salesman unfamiliar with this table thought the motor was driving the rim. My view was not as good as his as the table was hanging half off the shelf as we tried to look at it. The salesman had his arm in a sling, broke it falling on ice and I did not want to take responsibility for a table I could not afford.

This is the view - "almost" touching, but there is a belt.

Sorry about the blurry pictures, I was playing with my camera settings last night and must have messed it up.

Attachments

• OD1.jpg
    OD1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,065
  • OD2.jpg
    OD2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,178
The MK IV I looked at had a rubber lip going around the platter, which if I recall correctly was driven by a wheel in the back of the unit.

Similar to this:
http://www.pdemara.com/
oracled2.jpg

I also find text on many sites calling it a "belt-drive", I have no idea why.

The rubber lip is to damp the platter.

I'm still wondering if anyone here has had any first hand experience with a Teres table or the Versa drive.

I hate finding out years later that equipment I've read about and lusted over for years is just "so-so".

Could this be one of those?

I hope not.

I'm still wondering if anyone here has had any first hand experience with a Teres table or the Versa drive.

I hate finding out years later that equipment I've read about and lusted over for years is just "so-so".

Could this be one of those?

I hope not.

There's a guy over in the blu-ray.com forums (Naturephoto1 is his handle) called Rich who has recently taken delivery of one of the big Teres Audio rigs. He's over the moon about it, so it might be worth pinging him. Check out his thread where he discusses it.

Check out his thread where he discusses it.

1-1/2 pages of waiting (over a year in real time), then - zap he has it.

Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge, and Mystery Feet sound and look interesting.

I have no idea what his other table was and how much of an improvemnet he got for $17,000 , but it's a good read.

Thanks RichTeer.

I have both the Verus and an Oracle V SE w/ turbo. The Verus is used to drive a Micro-Seiki RX 5000.

The Verus adds a more dynamic punch to the RX in comparison to a silk thread drive from the companion Micro RY5500 motor drive. However, there are times when it is not absolutely quiet (rumble) and the rubber o ring wears and requires a bit of sanding. Lowest noise is when the o-ring is positioned at the bottom of the RX platter. I have a feeling that the Verus might change the timbre of the sound in exchange for greater drive in micro dynamics and emphasis. For example with the Verus a Michael Hedges guitar will explode off the record, but it has less resonance and decay is faster than the silk drive or the more refined sound of the Oracle. The Micro is famous for its portrayal of pitch and tone, the rim drive accentuates the leading edge transients, but perhaps masks the trailing harmonics - btw my RX platter is deadened to prevent ringing from the gunmetal by using a special vinyl mat or an additional heavy metal platter on the top.

You might get a very different result from using a Teres wood or acrylic platter though and the Verus could well do better on a wood or acrylic material than on the highly resonant gunmetal Micro platter- never simple is it!

In comparison, the Oracle V has a more dimensional, refined and luscious sound, especially in the mids, perhaps a tad leaner in the lower registers and not quite as forward as the rim drive. Overall I prefer my Oracle, (it is a highly underrated deck imho ). I find it hard to believe you can extract a much better or more musical sound than you get from the Oracle, especially if using a top class arm and decent cart. The only thing I don't like about the Oracle is the restriction to a 9" arm and only 1 arm board on the deck. Most audiophiles who come over to listen are surprised at how musical and close to the real thing the Oracle is - including Garrard 301 and Lenco diehards!

The most dynamic and tonally accurate deck I have is a (Direct Drive) Victor TT-101 in a special japanese heavy mass plinth and the most forward high PRAT sounding is my Lenco - but that is admittedly colored as well. Also for comparison I have a Technics SP 10 Mk2, and that is not in the top tier of the above mentioned decks, although it still competes with many of the uber expensive decks being peddled today.

Non are perfect, it depends what 'flavor' you prefer.

Steve

Sounds like Steve has more turntables than even tonepub !

Nah...

Here's the current collection:

Rega P3-24
Rega P9
Oracle Delphi V w/sme iV.Vi
Technics SL-1200 w.sme 309
Raven Two w. sme 309 and sme iV.Vi
Spiral Groove SG-2 w/ Triplanar

and in for review:

Music Hall prototype table
Clearaudio Statement w/TT3 arm
Montana Groove master w/SME 312 arm

I need to go to a 12 step program!! What can I say I like turntables.....

Jeff,

if i throw in my Micro-Seiki Bl-51 at our ski chalet (which I would say is just as good as any Rega - had those babies in my system - but that sounds bombastic) plus my rebuilt AR-XA and my Sony PS-X70 - another brilliant machine: are we even?

OK - way too many tables for a sane man.

I use the Sony in my upstairs home system - it has very nice PUA-7 tonearm which can do a great job and for me is just one very small notch below the really great arms. I have never tried the Sony in my downstairs system though.

The Technics is a great deck in a heavy plinth- I just wish I had a Technics EPA-250 Boron arm to go with it. I found the later EPA 500 base and arms to be mediocre in comparison. The EPA 100 is a very nice arm though, but the SP-10 deserves something a bit better.

Steve

we're both crazy!

But as my wife likes to say "at least he doesn't flush money down the toilet on golf..."

And believe it or not, I got rid of three turntables over the last few months!

Now I need more cartridges!

Oops - just got back from the golf course Jeff - fortunately my wife and daughter also like to play!

Anything that you can do as a family is a good thing, then your wife doesn't get mad about you spending money on it!

My 340 came with the Verus, so I haven't compared it to the belt.

All I know is I love it !!

IMG_4670.jpg

Caspyr, looks nice, I bet it sounds nice too.

Please post a link your full system in the Member's Systems area when you get around to it.

You have perked my interest.

Back