Well Tempered Amadeus TT

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOUNTAIN

Reaction score
A few days ago my wife and I went to our dealer so we could listen to our Scoutmaster Sig. and see if it was fixed. For some odd reason it appears that the original arm had some issues that crept up over time and had to be replaced. The dealer and VPI completely took care of everything for us and we were extremely happy to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Now we could finally spin some vinyl! When we arrived everything was already hooked up, and there was no time wasted for listening.:rocker: After a couple of albums it was apparent that the table was fixed and ready to go home with us. YES!!!!! Except for fun I put a record on the Well Tempered Amadeus TT, www.welltemperedlab.net ,to see what this table sounded like (especially since it was already hooked up to the same system.) Actually, I had heard this table once before when Mike Pranka (a real nice guy)from Dynavector gave a demo of their ultra elite cart on the Amadeus. He was accompanied by a rep (name escapes me at this time) from audioquest showing the differences between the original blue notes in pristine condition and the new limited edition reissued 45rpm's. To say the new blue notes sounded better would be an understatement. Ok, back to the TT..... I thought it odd that Mike would use a $2900 table to demo a $9000 cartridge but maybe he was out of options and that was the only one he could muster up at the time. My friend and I went over after the demonstration and kind of laughed at the design and commented to each other that there was no way I'd buy a golf ball turntable. I attributed the good sound I heard to the dynavector cartridge and wondered how well it would had performed if it were on a real table with a serious tonearm. How wrong I was!!!! Now, fast forward a couple of weeks and back to listening, with me putting a record on to the Well Tempered table. We had been listening to Diana Krall and Norah Jones so I chose Diana for a quick listen and the plan was to be out the door with my Scoutmaster and go home. Well, as soon as the first song, Little girl Blue, was half way through, my wife leaned over to me and said what I did not want to hear...."This sounds way better than ours". Ouch! My only ray of hope was that the cartridge on there was the difference and if I wanted mine to sound this good then I could just buy that cart, which was also a dynavector(XV-1 I think). So I decided to investigate futher and do a fair comparison. I asked if we could listen to the Amadeus(Well Tempered TT) against his VPI Aries 3 which had the exact same cartridge complete with the top of the line Dynavector arm. This way we could get a better idea as to how the Amadeus would perform against another very fine table using the same cartridge. So he moved the WTA to the other room where the Aries was and we listened again to both tables side by side. WOW!!!! I will not say that the Amadeus smoked it but there were some flame marks on the Aries:D. I'm just kidding:p. Both tables sounded amazingly wonderful but if there was one better than the other I could not give a clear winner. Different presentations, yes, but the Amadeus sounded convincingly like a $10,000 + table. I inquired if he could equip the Amadeus with my cartridge(Karat 17d3) just in case we decided to change turntables. So the next day we traveled back to my dealer and listened again to the WTA only with my cart now playing the music. There was no doubt about it to my and my wife's ears that the Amadeus was much more musical and involving than my Scoutmaster Sig.; even with all the accessories(periphereal ring, center weight, SDS) being used. Now I know this may be hard to believe especially looking at a turntable that uses a golf ball as a bearing, and of course your opinion may vary, but I sold my Scoutmaster and all the trimmings (knew of someone who wanted mine) and bought the Amadeus that day.

There are a few catches however. It may be difficult to use another manufactures' arm with this table, but there are pictures around on the internet that have a Dynavector arm installed on the Amadeus. I'm not sure about this so if you like to fiddle this may be something you will want to check on. Also, as of right now there aren't a whole lot of different finishes available, it dosen't appear they are making the glossy acrylic version anymore, but there may be another alternative sometime later this year. Something that is not a positive or a negative but rather a point of interest is that there is no lifter. You have to lower the needle yourself. Just a note though on this, the way the bearing floats in silicone makes it really simple to place the needle on the record. With my former arm it was not near as smooth and effortless as this one, so it should not be a problem unless you are very accident prone. Another little surprise is it appears that the belt is some type of fishing line :eek:(let the jokes begin:D), but who cares as long as it works. And work it does, beautifully!! One more HUGE tidbit......After audtioning one of these bad boys you may find yourself as I was trying to sell off your current table and getting the Amadeus. It's that good!

Just so no one misunderstands me, please only take what I've typed as an encouragement to go and hear one for yourself. You may not be as moved as my wife and I were and therefore think that Fountain guy is a nut who has a golf ball fetish. However, if you are in the market and have a budget that is around $2900(includes table and arm) or even a $10,000 budget, put this table on your list. I do not believe you will be dissappointed and may even save thousands of dollars trying to achieve what the WTA does so effortlessly.

Glen

P.S.
Jeff (tonepub) are you going to be able to review this? I would be very interested in what you think.

Last edited:
Pictures

Here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• welltempered2-l.jpg
    welltempered2-l.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 6,964
  • welltempered3-l.jpg
    welltempered3-l.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 4,490
  • welltempered-l.jpg
    welltempered-l.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 5,323
Somehow, I have got visions of you trying different golf balls to see which manufs. sound the best!

Well Tempered have always made "odd" turntables, but I've only ever heard great reports about how they sound.

The platter mat looks like carpet underlay. Do you think it is?

I think it's very cool when "alternative" and "no way!" approaches are taken that actually work.

Enjoy!

Somehow, I have got visions of you trying different golf balls to see which manufs. sound the best!

Well Tempered have always made "odd" turntables, but I've only ever heard great reports about how they sound.

The platter mat looks like carpet underlay. Do you think it is?

I think it's very cool when "alternative" and "no way!" approaches are taken that actually work.

Enjoy!

Actually the mat that I have is different. I believe they no longer come with the one pictured. But as for changing golf balls, it is attached to the arm. But I am thinking of sticking the table in a box of sand so it will feel at home:p.

Glen

Glen,

That's a great story. I wish I had an audio store like that around here. But to be able to hear different TT's and cart's like that, it would be worth the drive from Cocoa Beach.

My Scheu Analog TT has "Thread Drive" and a Blue Note cart.

Enjoy! :D
Satch

So which Well Tempered Lab is this now? It feels like there is an identity crisis, with welltemperedlab.com and welltemperedlab.net offering different products under the same name

So which Well Tempered Lab is this now? It feels like there is an identity crisis, with welltemperedlab.com and welltemperedlab.net offering different products under the same name

Hello Spectral,

I'm not sure of the whole story, but there are some more knowledgeable people concerning the history of how everything came about. I read in some forums the story, but was unable to find it again:(. There is a little info in this article, if that helps.... http://totallywired.co.nz/welltempered.html

Glen

One more tidbit, there was a review in The Absolute Sound Magazine issue #191. I happened to have this magazine already, but never bothered to read the review until now. Whew! Glad I didn't make a mistake:D.

Glen

I had a WT table for years and could not get it dialed in completly. The last half of the record always sounded poor. I have been told that I just didn't know how to adjust the thing. I am sure that was the case, but I couldn't live with it anymore. Traded it in for the Champ and could not be happier! I would however love to hear this new table.

Doug - out

I had a WT table for years and could not get it dialed in completly. The last half of the record always sounded poor. I have been told that I just didn't know how to adjust the thing. I am sure that was the case, but I couldn't live with it anymore. Traded it in for the Champ and could not be happier! I would however love to hear this new table.

Doug - out

Hey Doug, if you do get a chance go and audition the Amadeus. From what I am told it is nothing like the old tables in that it is very simple to setup and uses unconventional techniques. While I have no previous experience with other Well Tempered tables, this one seems to be unique to any of its previous designs. Several people on different forums have attested to this. But that does not always pan out to be the case with hearsay so go listen and when you do I would be very interested in what you think. Thanks,

Glen

What bugs me, is the way the wires are twisted on the photos on WellTempered Labs website (official photos). It differs from how I read the manual, and I somehow doubt, that this setup would provide with the appropriate anti skating force.

Snipped from the manual:
2. With a small amount of care take tonearm and apply 2 turns of the nylon suspension from the golf ball around the azimuth adjustment collar install on rod, with 1/2 twist anti clockwise to apply
"antiskate".

What bugs me, is the way the wires are twisted on the photos on WellTempered Labs website (official photos). It differs from how I read the manual, and I somehow doubt, that this setup would provide with the appropriate anti skating force.

Snipped from the manual:
2. With a small amount of care take tonearm and apply 2 turns of the nylon suspension from the golf ball around the azimuth adjustment collar install on rod, with 1/2 twist anti clockwise to apply
"antiskate".

Yeah the instructions aren't neccessary the easiest to follow. From what I understand they are in the process of doing some re-writes to make setup more easily understood and possibly some tweaks you can try. As for the setup that you referred to it appears from the pictures that you take the nylon wire and wrap it twice around the collar then twist 1/2 turn counter clockwise. If you don't wrap the line around the collar twice then there will be too much slack and the bearing will not function properly. Also, if you don't apply the 1/2 twist then the cartridge will lean to one side or another when you place it on the record. So from my experience you have to twist the line counter clockwise 1/2 turn. No more or less and not in the clockwise direction. I have not had any luck with trying it any other way. My suggestion is that you email Mike Pranka for clarification and any other questions you may have. He is the USA distributor for the Amadeus TT and Dynavector. He always answers my emails swiftly and is extremely helpful. Hope some of this helps.

Glen

Hi Glen

I'm not in doubt how the manual should be read. However, judging from some photos I've seen, more than 1/2 a twist anti clockwise was applied on this photo:
Amadeus1.jpg

The Firebaugh patent:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=xd8sAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#PPA1,M1

Unfortunately, I don't own this magnificent turntable.

Ahhh! Ok, I misunderstood. My mistake. You may be right about there being more of a twist than the 1/2 turn that is suggested by the manual. I'll have to look at my table at home and see if this is what mine looks like to make sure. However, I was not able to do a full twist on mine without there being problems with how the cartridge set on the record. There doesn't seem to be any adjustability in the antiskate area that I have found. But as far as tracking, it sure tracks and sounds much better than my previous setup and it had all kinds of adjustments that could be made. Other than playing around with it at first when the Amadeus was new I have just left it alone and the sound has been stunning. With my other setups I seemed to be fiddling more than listening but not so with this TT.

Glen

. . . I have just left it alone and the sound has been stunning. With my other setups I seemed to be fiddling more than listening but not so with this TT.

Glen

And isn't that the goal, to leave the gear alone and listen to the music.

They have black golf balls at the Put-Put course, might look better.:cool:

It's kind of cool looking the way it is.

Latest posts

Back