ML Aerius i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iaerius

Reaction score
Hello to one and all !

Just joined the club and hoping to get as much info as possible re; aerius i placement. I'm awating delivery on a pair and wondering how difficult they really are to position.
My room is 14 x 12' and doubles as my living room. I've done some research on the www but I need first hand advice and opinions.

My aerius i will be driven by Cary SLI-80 sig.
My sources are Jolida JD 100 cdp, modified JVC XL-Z1050TN cdp and a tuner.

Thanks in advance to all replies

The placement isn't all that difficult, but it can be tedious.

The manual (which should be downloadable) from the ML website gives you some general pointers.

Ideally you want to the speakers a few feet from the rear wall and a few feet away from the side walls.

Ideally, for two channel stereo listening, you don't want the speakers next to a large TV or home entertainment center (or other furniture).

You can also adjust the rake angle (back and forward tilt) as well as toe in and toe out. For the rake angle, you can purchase spikes via the ML website or other online dealers. Just make sure the thread size matches the aerius i speakers. You can buy different lengths to tilt them backward or forward. Most people probably buy the one or two inch spikes to get them off the carpet or floor.

For the toe angle, this is totally subjective. Many of us like the speakers toed in a little bit. There's the flashlight technique where you sit on the couch (your sweetspot) and shine the light at the speaker. Basically you want the light to shine in the 'inner' portion of the panel. Do a search (ML's very own Jim Powers gave us this tip). When you shine the light, you keep adjusting the speaker until the inner portion hit the light coming from the sweetspot.

Lastly - there's the distance from the couch to speakers. Some people like the speakers to couch distance to be related to an equilateral triangle. That is to say, if the speakers are 8 ft apart, you should sit back 8 ft. Other prefer to sit very close. Some might like to sit as far back as possible.

Keep in mind that you don't NEED to do any of this stuff. Just try one thing for a little while, toe in say and give it a few weeks and try out some other music. Then toe them in some more, or toe them out - whatever you want to get the desired sound.

The other side of the coin is treating the room. Once the speakers are set, this is by no means the 'end.' You can further adjust the response by adding bass traps and diffusion (or absorption) panels to the room. Most people will tell you that treating the room is probably the biggest upgrade you can make aside from purchasing different speakers and/or different amplifiers.

In my opinion, the main thing to try out (if you have the time and patience) is trying to get the speakers away from the side walls and away from the rear walls. Depending on your layout (and furniture) this is easier said than done. For many people, there's only one or two reasonable speaker locations for any given room that already has furniture.

After that, mess with toe in/out.

Then you can consider spiking the speakers and maybe consider some room treatments.

Erik

Erik provided a great summary of all the issues involved to optimize placement and I totally agree with his opinion on where to start first.

Adequate spacing from rear and side walls, assuming your room allows, will allow you to optimize / fine tune the sound.

You've got some very capable electronics so you should be able to easily hear what each adjustment does.

If I were you, I'd begin with some well recorded vocals. Numerous choices. Also, use some well recorded jazz albums containing an acoustic bass. This will hopefully shorten the time needed to get you close to optimum. Do experiment with rake angle. It has a huge impact on the overall soundstage and integration thereof.

One final piece of advice. Be patient and enjoy the process. Expect a minimum of three to six months to get your system really "dialed in".

Good luck on your journey and if you run into an issue, help is but a post away.

GG

Well, I don't have a problem with side walls but I can only do about 3' from the back wall. Will this suffice ?

My Vista's are out about 3 feet from the wall and really started to shine when acoustic treatments were placed behind the speakers to absorb some of the rear wave. Also, you would be amazed what a few inches can do. One of our guests must have just bumped one of the speakers and the vocals seemed to be off center. I measured and sure enough, one speaker was 1.5 inches closer to the listener then the other. I managed to get them back in line, ran the EQ again, and the difference was very noticeable. People can not stress enough that placement and room interactions will play quite a role in maximizing your experience.

Back