Sweeeet!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
Today is a good day...
504264936_MwbUV-M.jpg

504264923_WLhCD-M.jpg

504264649_vZFeE-M.jpg

504264651_AYUvo-M.jpg

504264673_GKug9-M.jpg

Steve,

Not my cup of tea musically, but I do like the look of that slab AND of your TT as well!

VERY NICE MY FRIEND, VERY NICE!

Oooooooooooo:drool:

I've been spending too much time with that damn Sonos thingamajiggy.

Tell me more about this vinyl Steve. Where did you get it? What's the scoop on it? How much does it set one back?

I just went to the "Elusive Disc" website and saw these records:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=1901

Not a bad price, when you consider what you're getting! And I love the selection of classic Jazz. Coltrane, Adderly, Ellington--I may have to put together a "wish list" for my family for my birthday... ;)

Thanks for turning us on to these platters!

--Richard

Wow - it couldn't be that 12 inch 45rpm "makes your jaw drop in disbelief" at the sound quality format could it? Enjoy - I am sure they sound unbelievable.

However, first pic post 2? What are they doing? They seemed to have wasted a massive percentage of the disc space available, when surely they could have used it for the same two tracks, and provided even higher quality?

Does anyone know of a good reason for why you'd not want to use all the available space?

Are they extremely short tracks?

Most of my 12 inch 45s use the available space - I haven't got one that uses as little as that - even for one track!

Continued...

504264889_R7p8y-M.jpg

You know....for an old fart ...you clean up pretty good !!

nice find Steve, I too am curious as to your take on the pressings for I do enjoy the CD version.

Wow - it couldn't be that 12 inch 45rpm "makes your jaw drop in disbelief" at the sound quality format could it? Enjoy - I am sure they sound unbelievable.

Oh, the 12" 45 RPM records do sound fantastic. I have a few with a couple more on order soon.

However, first pic post 2? What are they doing? They seemed to have wasted a massive percentage of the disc space available, when surely they could have used it for the same two tracks, and provided even higher quality?

Does anyone know of a good reason for why you'd not want to use all the available space?

Yes, I've wondered that too.

Most of my 12 inch 45s use the available space - I haven't got one that uses as little as that - even for one track!

Same here. Hmm, I now have this desire to listen to Blue Monday...!

The idea is to keep the grooves in the sweet spot of most tonearms. As a lot of tonearms move closer to the center there can be some significant tracking errors and distortions that could be caused by anti-skate mechanisms. It doesn't matter if you have a tangent tracker, but pivoted arms are always facing geometric compromises as they move closer to the center spindle.

The idea is to keep the grooves in the sweet spot of most tonearms. As a lot of tonearms move closer to the center there can be some significant tracking errors and distortions that could be caused by anti-skate mechanisms. It doesn't matter if you have a tangent tracker, but pivoted arms are always facing geometric compromises as they move closer to the center spindle.

Hm... surely if that were so, the lead in would be much bigger i.e the whole skaboodle would be in the centre of the disc i.e. an equal amount of lead in/lead out.

And RichTeer - yeah - the best selling 12 inch of all time! Shame the cover cost so much money they never actually made any on it. Or so the story goes. Typical Factory...:)

And RichTeer - yeah - the best selling 12 inch of all time! Shame the cover cost so much money they never actually made any on it. Or so the story goes. Typical Factory...:)

FAC73: the world's first--and probably only--12" floppy disk! It is a cool sleeve...

Are they extremely short tracks?

It's simple really, a matter of ergonomics. They couldn't squeeze (all seven of) the songs onto just two sides, so they needed three sides. They could have done 3 + 3 + 1, but it makes more sense to do 3 + 2 + 2. And Tim is right, distortion increases as the track tightens past a certain point.

nice find Steve, I too am curious as to your take on the pressings for I do enjoy the CD version.

I kept commenting to myself that they named this vinyl correctly, as the overriding character of the sound is one of immense clarity. However, that may be due to the recording itself, as I have a copy of their first meeting (Duke and Satch) and it has tremendous sound also. In any case, the sound seems to be in the same ballpark quality wise as the analogue productions and blue note 45s. I prefer the packaging on the blue note 45's by far, with mofi pressings second.

And Tim is right, distortion increases as the track tightens past a certain point.

Well, yes, it does, but I was really looking for an explanation as to how the arrangement on that record really achieves what Tim stated - simply because I can't see why it would.

Well, yes, it does, but I was really looking for an explanation as to how the arrangement on that record really achieves what Tim stated - simply because I can't see why it would.

If you look back on your vinyl collection, if you ever get mistracking, it's usually on the inner most grooves for the reason listed above.

A few recording engineers have told me that whenever possible, they'd put the least dynamic tracks on the inside of the record, so they wouldn't mistrack.

Again, if you listen closely on most records, tracks 2, 3 and 4 usually sound the cleanest.

Back