Beethoven's Symphonies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichTeer

Reaction score
I really like Beethoven's Symphonies, so I'm quite interested in the Speakers Corner boxed set, conducted by Herbert von Karajan (they were originally released by Deutsche Grammophon). Is any one familiar with this set (or the DG originals)?

I'm very interested, but $275 is a LOT of money to me right now, so if I order it, I want to be fairly sure I getting the pukka goods (as we would say in the UK!).

I really like Beethoven's Symphonies, so I'm quite interested in the Speakers Corner boxed set, conducted by Herbert von Karajan (they were originally released by Deutsche Grammophon). Is any one familiar with this set (or the DG originals)?

I'm very interested, but $275 is a LOT of money to me right now, so if I order it, I want to be fairly sure I getting the pukka goods (as we would say in the UK!).

I've got an old Deutsche Grammaphon boxed set and I like it, but I'm by no means a knowledgeable classical music person. I've been told that the even number, (or was it the odd number?) symphonies by Karajan were good, but the odd numbers, (or was it the even numbers) were not. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about these performances will chime in.

I have the DG 2740 241 set (West German Pressing) with HVK conducting the BP set and it is an excellent set IMO. Better still, IMO, is the set on Everest 3162/7 with Josef Krips conducting the LSO though you won't find this one too often.

HvK recorded at least 3 cycles of the Beethoven symphonies, one in 1962, one in the 70s, and one in the 80s. Perhaps the best-known (rated) is the 1962 set, which I have. I like #'s 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9, and dislike #6, which he takes at breakneck speed (see my review of #6 in the recommended recordings section).

I bought that box set on vinyl for my parents' 25th anniversary in the early 1970's! I recall it as having some really good performances. I can't comment on the sonics because it was played on a cheap Colombia stereo phongraph with pull-out loudspeakers. When my parents passed away, I found that box set and I believe I still have it somewhere. After many years of being played with a stylus that tracked at about 4 grams, I do not anticipate that the records sound good, but I will report if there's anything significant to report.

BTW - I just looked through my collection and found the set. I would suspect it's the one from the 60's because of references in the liner notes. I just eyeballed the "Eroica" disk and it does not look too bad.

Last edited:
Try the Bruno Walter recording of the Ninth, with either the NBC, or RCA orchestra, I can't remember which. A great recording!

Well, I can't really speak to the vinyl version of this recording (because I don't own one) but among the 9 or 10 different performances of the 9th that I have on CD, Beethoven: Symphonie #9 in D minor with "Choral", conducted by Bruno Walter conducting the Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1958-59, CSO-New York) is probably the most energetic, emotionally moving, and "genuine" of any I've heard. The "Choral" in particular is extraordinary in it's emotional depth. It's on Sony Classical...

Well, I can't really speak to the vinyl version of this recording (because I don't own one) but among the 9 or 10 different performances of the 9th that I have on CD, Beethoven: Symphonie #9 in D minor with "Choral", conducted by Bruno Walter conducting the Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1958-59, CSO-New York) is probably the most energetic, emotionally moving, and "genuine" of any I've heard. The "Choral" in particular is extraordinary in it's emotional depth. It's on Sony Classical...

Well, I was close on the orchestra. A truly outstanding performance. I have it on LP, which is stored away.

Speaking of chorals, have you guys heard Beethoven's "Choral Fantasia" (Opus 80). It is another great work. I have the Barenboim/Klemperer version (I think - not at home right now to confirm).

Latest posts

Back