Most Influential Artists of Modern Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most Influential Modern Artists

• The Beatles

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Roger Waters

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Frank Sinatra

• Ella Fitzgerald

• Rolling Stones

• Bob Dylan

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • AC/DC

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Sarah Vaughan

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Hendrix

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Miles Davis

• Total voters

amey01

Reaction score
Following on from Justin's post, who have been the most influential artists in modern music? To keep it interesting, I've allowed multiple choices.

The list is just to get started - I guess something like my "Top 10" (without thinking much). This should get interesting.......

Bear in mind, I in no way "like" some of these artists - purely on the influence they've had.

EDIT: Influential by which I mean influence on other music. That is, you hear their influence in the music you listen to today.

Last edited:
I am not sure you can edit the poll list once it's submitted... which is a bit annoying. If I am wrong, please tell me how to do it!

It has to be number 1. I am not a massive fan, but I have a few albums and once a year or so, I actually play them!

Odd though - how can you list Roger Waters rather than Pink Floyd?

Also, if you are talking about influencing me to any great extent - then absolutely NOTHING on that list...:) Apart from Mr Hendrix's geetar playing....

Anyway, what does influential really mean? Influential to you, or influential to other artists/the music industry as a whole?

Last edited:
Forgot one already - Glenn Miller...

I can edit it :devil:

Whoops, no I can only edit existing fields, I can't add any. Sorry Adam, I was going to add Glen Miller for you.

I can see where this one's going already. No offence, but I have to agree with Justin, it's just too far reaching a topic. Where is Coltrane, Monk, Sonny Rollins, Brubeck, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Television, Velvet Underground, U2, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, etc., etc., etc.

Soooooooooo many influential giants. Not bashing the poll at all, because it'll be fun to see what folks think. I'm just happy that we have so much truely GREAT music to listen to!

Last edited:
Odd though - how can you list Roger Waters rather than Pink Floyd?

I probably should have.....

Also, if you are talking about influencing me to any great extent - then absolutely NOTHING on that list...:)

Anyway, what does influential really mean? Influential to you, or influential to other artists/the music industry as a whole?

I was thinking "influential to subsequent music".

Even though my vote was for the Beatles I don't own any of their music.
I just remember in I guess the 60's hearing their music for the first time on the radio. It was clearly different than anything else being played at the time.
At the moment I can't think of any other person/group that had a totally new sound and the staying power of their music.

And how could we forget all the people that the Beatles, Floyd, the Stones, et al. say influenced THEM?

The Stones borrowed heavily from Soul and Blues. They've said over and over again that they pretty much learned how to play by listening to old blues and Motown records...

And if it weren't for Chuck Berry, James Brown, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, and ELVIS, not to mention the old Blue musicians like Howling Wolf, Jelly Roll Morton, and rockabilly like Eddie Cochran and Carl Perkins and even Les Paul, the Beatles would most likeley have been competing with the New New Christy Minstrel Show and Pat Boone for airtime instead of making the White Album...

John Lennon said once in an interview, "Before Elvis, there was nothing". Then again, he also thought Yoko Ono had talent, so you gotta take anything Lennon said about artistic endevours with a grain of salt... :ROFL:

Even though my vote was for the Beatles I don't own any of their music.
I just remember in I guess the 60's hearing their music for the first time on the radio. It was clearly different than anything else being played at the time.
At the moment I can't think of any other person/group that had a totally new sound and the staying power of their music.

That's the whole point! Doesn't matter if you own it or like it at all!

Hey - it's got to be me - not yet - but it will be. For I am the future of rock'n'roll :guitarman::guitarman::guitarman::guitarman:

:D

Modern Music? Nothing creates opportunity like a vacuum, so if this guy didn't exist someone else would bear his mantle but where would modern music be (or played on) without Les Paul?

Latest posts

Back