Austin and analog redux...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
"The Austin Record Convention is the largest sale of recorded music in the USA. There is more music and related memorabilia available here, at one time, than anywhere else. Ranging from the 78's of the 1930s to the latest compact discs of today, over one million 78s, 45s, LPs, CDs, cassettes, posters and collectibles (probably even a few 8-track tapes!) are in the auditorium. Over 300 different dealers from all over the USA and Europe are spread out over 50,000 square feet of floor space. The show is so big that to see everything takes most of the weekend, so if you're in a hurry we have search announcements at 12, 2, and 4 o'clock from the concession area to help in locating specific items. "

This is happening April 3/4/5. If anyone wants to meet and go to this send me a PM and we can work out the day and time and place to meet. Maybe get some brew afterwards?

I'm In!

This is a pretty cool event, as has been posted on this forum before.

Steve, I sent you a PM - Looking forward to it.
Sunday would be my preference. I think on Friday it may be an extra "early admission" price, but that's good for me too. I guess Sat may not be good for you.

Friday or Sunday work best for me, as I have a PCA event to attend on Saturday. James (Pcar928fan) said his best option is for Friday. So, it looks like all three of us can go on Friday. It may cost a little, but hey, we'll get first dibs!:D We can talk later to finalize, ok?

April 3rd for me. 11 to 3 or something like that...can meet you guys there... wherever there IS.

Sounds like fun!

April 3rd for me. 11 to 3 or something like that...can meet you guys there... wherever there IS.

Sounds like fun!

Here's the location...and the prices...and the hours...

Crockett Event Center
10601 N Lamar
Austin, TX 78753

Regular Admission: $5
Good for 2 days - Saturday April 4th and Sunday April 5th from 10am-6pm

*Early Shopper Admission: $25 for all customers
Early Admission is good for all 3 days - Friday April 3rd from 10AM-6PM

Bummer! I have to be in Austin the 7th thru the 9th so I am going to miss this.

If you have any free time while in Austin, come on over to my place and listen to some tunes! I've got plenty of records, CDs, SACDs and BEER. :D

As a matter of fact, this offer is open to any Austin area visitors from the ML site.

I may well take you up on this offer. I have never heard an Aerius. My video system is Aeon based (with a Logos, Scenario's and a Descent. I'd love to hear how your system sounds with tubes. My big rig is Summit based.

Last edited:
Excellent! This will be the first time a club member gets to listen to my system. I could use some helpful criticism! I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Well, I went to the event on Friday and am just now able to get around to posting! It's been a busy last couple of days for me with this event on Friday, many new records arriving via mail, Porsche club bluebonnet ride and family obligations. On to the report...

I walked through some double wide entrance doors along with some people carrying in lots of records. Once in, I looked for a person taking the entrance fees, but someone just waved me in. I guess free entry was a perk for coming before it was completely set up! The first table I stopped at was not for records, but to look at miniature guitars. These things look great and have individual guitar strings. I picked up a SRV replica for $8. Sweet.
506144826_3MaQE-M.jpg

506144716_GDTTD-M.jpg

Next I just took in the size of this place. I'd guess about 10,000 sq. ft. filled with tables and tables of records and CDs.
506145155_XZSd2-M.jpg

506145057_puAen-M.jpg

506145003_kg6Kc-M.jpg

There were tons of 7inch 45s and it seemed each table had one of these so that customers could sample the goods..
506144855_CmdDB-M.jpg

Here are a some typical setups for someone selling albums. They were indexed pretty good and any category you could think of was there.
506145260_A7nsq-M.jpg

506145785_AKPMJ-M.jpg

506146036_FQdp7-M.jpg

506145593_jqGat-M.jpg

I figure it would take a few hours to go through everything and the place wasn't even completely set up when I was there. Did you know that before Buddy Holly and the Crickets there was Buddy Holly and the Picks? John Pickering (Picks-get it?) was selling new copies of this band's album.
506144581_b2NCj-M.jpg

He was a nice guy and asked if I wanted my picture taken with him. I said sure and handed my camera to his wife.
506144556_y96gJ-M.jpg

And so ends my report. James had to beg off due to some important interior work being done to one of his beautiful 928s and Mike had to attend a work meeting. I think you guys would have liked it.

Way Cool...

Thanks for posting this Steve.

I saw my '56 Les Paul Jr. in the first photo.

Caroline's records sells albums online and opened a store close to home and I've mined a few (around 100) gold nuggets from there. After a good cleaning all but a few sound great. Stuff never transferred to digital. Ha!

Wish I could have been there. You probably got in free because of your T-shirt. Vinyl Lives! :D

Satch

I went on Saturday. I was all set to go on Friday and then work got in the way...I hate when that happens.
From the lack of crowds in your pictures it's definately worth the extra $20 to go Friday. I probably went at the worst time - Saturday at noon. Big crowds and the vendors aren't discounting yet.
But it's always a good time

I would have spent hours there!!! I went to a record sale show in Hillside (a burb of Chicago) a couple of weeks ago. It looked to be about the same size from what I see in your pics. I was there 4 1/2 hrs. bout about 60 records and cost me about $100.00. Sure seemed Like a deal to me.

Doug - out

Latest posts

Back