how far is to far ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH_MAN

Reaction score
how far away can my TT be from the Phonostage or preamp before it becomes a problem (I basically want to move it to the back of my HT without moving my amps back their as well). and what kind of wire should I use I need to move it like 25ft is this possible I have a hi output moving magnet cartridge on it.should I phonostage it first? I think with these week signals and long length the cable will make a difference I am looking for any input I can get

25 ft is way too long between the turntable and the phono stage, when you consider that the signals are in the millivolt range. When you ask "should I phonostage it first?", I assume you are asking if you should leave the phono stage with the turntable and then have your 25ft wire to your line preamp. That would work fine, but even better if balanced.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Bernard wrote. You do not want anything anywhere near 25' between your turntable and phonostage! Just use the usual on emeter or so between TT and phonostage, and use a long IC between the latter and your linestage (balanced would be best if you have the option).

Well, if there was any way I could find to avoid running 25 ft interconnects, I would. It will work if you keep the phonostage near to the TT, but there will be a degradation you could readily hear when compared to a much shorter length. If you do do it, make sure you have some good quality IC, which will cost. Balanced would be best, as stated, but I don't think your phonostage supports it.

My limit would be about 1 meter or 3 feet. Why not get a stand alone phono stage pre-amp at the T.T. ? I can think of a nice kit that runs off 9 Volt batteries.

Latest posts

Back