Austin and analog !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dave, Sandy and I get the Times on Sundays and I read that article last weekend and was wondering if Steve might be making the rounds myself. Sounds like a fun event!

If you're talking about SXSW, then probably not too much. I like to go to non crowded venues. There will be something like 2000 different bands or something like that, from all over the world that descend on Austin for a week or so. But, there is live music all over Austin any night of the year and you don't have to be one of thousands to go out and listen. But, thanks for the link, I didn't know about some of those record stores.

Or do you mean the Austin Record Convention? I'm definitely doing it!

"The Austin Record Convention is the largest sale of recorded music in the USA. There is more music and related memorabilia available here, at one time, than anywhere else. Ranging from the 78's of the 1930s to the latest compact discs of today, over one million 78s, 45s, LPs, CDs, cassettes, posters and collectibles (probably even a few 8-track tapes!) are in the auditorium. Over 300 different dealers from all over the USA and Europe are spread out over 50,000 square feet of floor space."

Last edited:
Steve, a singer I like is from the Austin/San Antonio area - Tish Hinojosa is her name. Ever heard her sing?

The record convention is definately a good event. Lots of dealers with a lot of records to move. 1 spring and 1 fall event. I usually go on Sunday to get the best prices. To get a first shot you can pay a little extra to get in Friday before most people show up, if you're looking for collectibles or whatever. The first couple of times I went I got great deals on the $1, $3 bins, until I got home and found out that the lights are pretty dim in there. Not so easy to see all them scratches.

I'll have to check out some of the record stores. I was in Waterloo on Saturday and picked up John Mayer's 4-record live album, and Ben Harper's new live album only available on vinyl. It's the only music store I know of that is in alpha order, just A to Z. Genres? We don't need no stinkin' genres. That's because it's all just music.

The record convention is definately a good event. Lots of dealers with a lot of records to move. 1 spring and 1 fall event. I usually go on Sunday to get the best prices. To get a first shot you can pay a little extra to get in Friday before most people show up, if you're looking for collectibles or whatever. The first couple of times I went I got great deals on the $1, $3 bins, until I got home and found out that the lights are pretty dim in there. Not so easy to see all them scratches.

I'll have to check out some of the record stores. I was in Waterloo on Saturday and picked up John Mayer's 4-record live album, and Ben Harper's new live album only available on vinyl. It's the only music store I know of that is in alpha order, just A to Z. Genres? We don't need no stinkin' genres. That's because it's all just music.

Yeah, you gotta be careful buying used records. I seldom do anymore, but I have found some great ones used. Also, I like that John Mayer live album, too. I noticed Waterloo had a bunch of Ben Harper albums for sale, I think they were all just re-released. Also, I just picked up the new U2 album at Best Buy. I've never really been a fan of theirs, but Tonepub said it was great, so I bought it. It did have some decent songs and some nice moments; maybe it will grow on me a little more.

Last edited:
Back