6550 tube question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Anyone use the Tung-sol 6550 tube in any of your amps? If so what are your thouhgts? I'm thinking of playing around with some tubes on my CJ premier 140 and was wondering if this one is a good fit?

Attachments

• yhst-8476489043850_2043_1350812.jpg
    yhst-8476489043850_2043_1350812.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 539
Cherian, I replaced the stock 6550's in my premier 140 with the Tung Sols and was pleased with the result, but I am afraid I can't give you too much in the way of details. Time has faded my memory. This was a year or two ago and I haven't had that amp hooked up in awhile (I know this is a crime, but I don't have a use for it right now and I can't bear to sell it because, as you know, it is such an awesome amp).

FWIW, I had Svetlana 6550's in a pair of VTL monoblocks I'm auditioning and felt that they sounded rather dull. I considered the Tung-sols, but read up on the various amp/tube fora and checked in with Jim McShane. Jim feels that, of the current crop of 6550's/KT88's/KT90's, the best performers are the Gold Lion KT88. When I put two KT88 octets into the VTL's, I got tighter bass, better high-end and generally improved performance. As always, it's personal preference/gear synergy and YMMV.

Thanks guys for your input. I think I will give the new tubes a try. :music:

Before I bought my Ref 110, I tried a matched octet of NS Tung Sols in my VT100 III. They sounded the best of any tubes that I had in that amp, BUT, one of them developed a weird purple blue-orange color that convinced me to pull these tubes from the amp. I later tried a set of cryoed Chinese 6550s that also sounded really good, and gave no indication of problems.

Cherian, Greetings,

I have run GE, Svet, Ei, and now the Tungsol reissues. They are wonderful 6550's and are, overall, very well balanced. My favorite was the Ei KT90's years ago I got from Kevin Deal. But the quality went to hell with the war in Kosovo and Ei got shoddy.

I much prefer the Tungsols to the Svet as they sound "smoother" to my ears.

I have not had KT88's although a lot of folks say that is the way to go. A friend just retubed his Cary V12 monoblocks with 88's and his Maggies were throwing a wonderful warm stage the other night when I went over to listen for a few hours. My first impression on 88's are extremely favorable. No real saddle time yet though.

I think the tungsols are great for the money and my octet got a couple of years of hard service before I threw in a new set. Very reliable.

My impressions are done with CJ 11a and premier 12 monoblocks as the source.

Have Fun!

That is my primary output tube along with the EH Big Bottle 6CA7. Big bass and nice extension in my amps, the TS have been very reliable and last a long time.

Hi,
I currently have an Audio Research Ref3 which uses the 6550 tube. I recently swapped out the standard supplied one for a NoS Tungsol late 1940's Black plate tube.

The tube is fairly expensive, however it did make a signifcant difference. There seemed to be much more depth of image in the presentation.

If you are interested I can provide the details of where I purchased the tube from.

Cheers
Marc.

Thanks for all the info guys. Yes please let me know where you got your NOS tubes from. I would be very interested.

Thanks

Cherian

I currently have an Audio Research Ref3 which uses the 6550 tube. I recently swapped out the standard supplied one for a NoS Tungsol late 1940's Black plate tube.

Nooooooooooo, not before 1955. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6550

Cherian, I tried a lot of 6550/KT88s when I owned an Air Tight AMT2. Almost without doubt in my mind, the best you will get sonically is the EAT KT88. The caveat is the price and possibly some longevity issues. http://www.euroaudioteam.com/kt88diamond.php

The original Tung Sol 6550 is very good - I had an early type without the holes in the plates. But the E.A.Ts blow them away comfortably. Really nicely made, too. If you get some, get two spares. This is what once was the Tesla Vrsovice KT88.

Let's qualify it - the best from current production. It may be that the GEC KT88 and original Gold Lion KT88s are better, but they will cost the earth if you can find enough of them!

Even the E.A.T is not cheap - but when you fire them up, you will smile like they are a godsend, which they are. Stunning sound.

Because I'm new to tubes can some one tell me why New Old Stock (NOS) tubes tend to be better then new? Is it that back in the day tubes were built better? Have things changed that much?

Because I'm new to tubes can some one tell me why New Old Stock (NOS) tubes tend to be better then new? Is it that back in the day tubes were built better? Have things changed that much?

That's a tough one. For some tube types, there isn't much current production, so NOS versions are important. Also, years ago, production was very much higher than it is now. Much of the old tooling equipment was lost, and those that are new to manufacture have had to re-learn the "black art" I guess, with varying degrees of success. However, some current production tubes are just excellent, like the KT88s I mentioned, and some of the KR valves. Eastern european tubes, in my experience, whilst they sound very good, are NOT as reliable as their Russian counterparts.

But one factor about old tubes is that they are just plain cool. I get a real blast from running 1942 RCA211s, and getting a top notch audio performance out of them. I mean, how cool is that? Tres cool, I think. Certainly for 211s, NOS is the best option until I finally get to evaluate the KRs... which may be better still.

Last edited:

First a properly made tube has a functionally infinite shelf life if it doesn't get broken, beat up or go gassy. Second the guys who made these things had literally decades of experience making them and used the original tooling which was designed for that specific tube type. Third, like battleship armor, there seems to be a sort of "black art" to making tubes that was lost after the great tube factories shut down. That said I don't buy NOS tubes because they are ridiculously expensive and modern types are pretty damned good.

I'm with you on that.

Ditto on that, although I just got a great deal on GE NOS 6550s (2 quads!) which were lightly used. They sound (in my ears) better than the KT88s I was running in my amp before. :music: Much more tighter bass and pretty good midrange. I'd still like to find something with a little more warmth though.

This last post must underline the importance of trying various tubes in your own amp and using your own ears. Here's why...

I bought a quad of NOS GE 6550s - I thought they were the worst 6550/KT88s I had ever tried in my Air Tight. I thought they sounded positively odd - splashy treble, really imprecise imagery with an absolutely massive soundstage with hardly any focus as a result. I literally thought my music had been put through some effects processor. Terrible! Even Chinese KT88s comfortably beat them by some margin.

I tried them a number of times with all sorts of different material but the results were the same. As soon as I put the Tesla Vrsovice back in everything was restored to normal - pure smooth tone, excellent imagery, great bass, clean treble etc etc.

I thought the GE positively schizophrenic - like a tube "gone mad". All four where tested and strong, with no internal rattles, gas leaks etc etc.

Additionally, I don't like the GE 211 - which is unfortunate because it is the most popular and available NOS 211. But it is relatively much better than the 6550. However, some GE preamp tubes I have used have been excellent.

I notice NOS GE 6550s fetch a much lower price than Tung-Sols, GEC KT88s, Gold Lion etc. Or at least they did a few years ago. Good job too, as far as I am concerned.

Some bass players swear by the GEs in Ampegs... hmmm. I swore by them in my Air Tight:D

After that sales pitch I still have them:D Must put them on ebay sometime... or wait 20 years and sell 'em...:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back