VPI Turtable owners......question ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
VPI Turntable owners......question ??

OK owners of VPI tables, I've got a question or two for you......

1) How many of you USE damping fluid with your arm ??

2) If you're using it did you apply it in the "well" or allow it to migrate down the uni-pivot point ?? (I've heard folks say that is the correct way ??)

FWIW, I have yet to try any fluid, soon after I got my table I remember having a conversation with Mike @ VPI and he was not a big proponent of it, thinking it 'slowed everything down'

Can you tell I've got a bit of the "winter doldrum itchies" ! Anyways ....VPI owners speakup !!

Last edited:
I exchanged emails with Sheila Weisfeld, and she was not a proponent of it either. She definitely advised against the use of silicone, instead suggesting STP.

I do not use any fluid.

I use a very small amount, much less than my dealer had put in the well when I had it initially had it set up. I had cleaned it all out once while doing some maintenance, but added enough back to fill the well about 1/8th of the way because it sounded just a tad "edgy" to me with nothing in there. Try it and see if you like it Dave, it's easily cleaned out with a Q-tip. I did not drizzle it down the pivot, only in the well.

Hello Dave,

I use some of the silicon damping fluid but not much. About a quarter dwell full maybe a little less. After I add my 3 gram headshell weight this may change, but it appears a little does help in my situation for now. However, I have heard the same thoughts that you and others have about it sounding a tad sluggish when used. I may need to experiment more. As for how it is applied, I just place it in the dwell. Hope this helps.

Glen

Latest posts

Back